TimeFactor Not Connecting Via USB

Home Forums Products Stompboxes TimeFactor Not Connecting Via USB

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      95strat

At least it doesn't show up on my Mac as an icon. If I launch the Eventide Update Utility if finds the TF, or at least acts like it does. I haven't updated to V3.0.0[19] software and wanted to back up my setting in the FactorLib, but it says it's offline. I'm running V3.0.0[0] at the moment.

What am I doing wrong?

achaput

Hello,

In Factorlib if select "Config" under the MIDI menu, what shows up as the choices?

95strat

When I go to "config" in the FactorLib I just get MIDI as an option. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm running OS X 10.7.2

95strat

I also noticed in the FactorLib User Manual it says on page 5: "When connected by USB, the stompbox will appear as “USB Audio Device” on a Windows system, or as “Timefactor Pedal” (etc) on a Mac. "

The Timefactor doesn't show up as a devise on my machine. However the Eventide Update Utility does see the TF when connected.

Zaphod B

Same here. I connect my TF and MF via USB – my (Windows-based) computer chimes as it usually does when a USB device gets plugged in, but they don't show up as an attached device in the file explorer.

FactorLib recognizes them, though.  However, under the MIDI > CONFIG menu there is no option for USB. But FactorLib downloaded the presets regardless. 

Paquette
      Participant

Any news on this? I got the same issue.. my computer makes a sound so I know the connection is good. The Eventide Direct Updater works I can change the device’s version but H9 control stopped communicating with the pedal this morning. I changed the cable, I changed the USB port and I even tried with a different computer.

I performed a hard reset (hotknob+right switch), still no success. So now I lost all my settings and presets.. I just had this pedal for few days now, can’t say I’m really happy with it.

gkellum
        Participant
        Paquette wrote:

H9 control stopped communicating with the pedal this morning. I changed the cable, I changed the USB port and I even tried with a different computer.

So, when you connect H9 Control to your pedal, it's unable to connect to the pedal immediately?  Or do you see Communication Error messages when you are trying to do specific things with H9 Control and your pedal?  Was the behavior exactly the same on the other computer?

It's quite odd that you would be able to update the pedal but not use H9 Control.

Paquette
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

Paquette wrote:

H9 control stopped communicating with the pedal this morning. I changed the cable, I changed the USB port and I even tried with a different computer.

So, when you connect H9 Control to your pedal, it’s unable to connect to the pedal immediately?  Or do you see Communication Error messages when you are trying to do specific things with H9 Control and your pedal?  Was the behavior exactly the same on the other computer?

It’s quite odd that you would be able to update the pedal but not use H9 Control.

Hi, thanks for the quick response, I have more information perhaps it will help troubleshoot.

I restored the factory settings (Encoder+RIGHT footswitch) and I still wasn’t able to connect with H9 Control, but the Updater works just fine. So I tried restoring the factory presets AND system settings (Encoder+MIDDLE footswitch) and then I was able to communicate with device once again with H9 Control.

So after I pushed my presets back from the computer to the pedal, I closed the software, removed the USB cable and played with the pedal to make sure everything is fine. I tried reconnecting and it failed.

So long story short, it seems like the presets are messing with the communication to H9 Control for some reason.

Now to answer your questions, I see the error message as soon as H9 Control starts. The behavior was exactly the same on both computers.

I’ll continue to troubleshoot..

Thanks

Paquette
      Participant

More on my last comment.

I downgraded to an unsupported version (3.5.x) and H9 control was able to warn me that the protocol used is not compatible and it asked me to update my device’s firmware. So there is some communication going between the timefactor and H9 control but for some reasons it just doesn’t work to change the settings.

Paquette
      Participant

Hi again, I just wanted to re-confirm my previous post. I used a different computer with a brand new installation of H9 Control. I was able to connect after a Endoder+MIDDLE footswitch reset. I’ve created a brand new preset list which I sent to the pedal. Once I closed the software, I was not able to connect to the device anymore.

gkellum
      Participant

Alright, I'm going to ask one of my colleagues to look at your posts to see what he thinks.

In the meantime the H9 Control manual has some suggestions for dealing with problems connecting to H9 Control via USB on Windows which you may want to read through.  I do wonder for instance if restarting your computer might help with the fact that H9 Control won't connect to your TImeFactor at times.  On Windows (up until Windows 10) only a single application can use a MIDI port.  Maybe, the MIDI port isn't being released, and that's why H9 Control can't use it?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.eventide.downloads/Product+Manuals/H9ControlManual.pdf

Paquette
      Participant

Hi, I tried everything in the manual and I rebooter many times.. 

I’m using Windows 10. In any case, that wouldn’t explain why Updater is able to communicate with it but not H9 Control?

gkellum
      Participant

I talked to my colleague, Nick, about your problem.  He wrote the following:

On Windows, the pedals are completely standard MIDI devices, and will work like any other unless they have a hardware fault.

I would ask that they go into Device Manager and confirm that the pedal shows up under “Sound, video and game controllers” as either “<name> Pedal” (Win7 and above), or “USB Audio Device” (WinXP). In particular state whether it has a colored mark with a ? or ! beside its name.  

Disconnect ALL other MIDI devices and any unused USB devices and see if this changes anything.

Close ALL other MIDI-capable applications.

If they have any other MIDI software, see if this will connect to the pedal when this problem occurs, but keep them closed at all other times.

It's possible to connect to H9Control via MIDI instead of USB. If you have a MIDI interface handy, it might be worthwhile to try connecting the TimeFactor via MIDI to see if the same problem occurs.

Paquette
      Participant

Hi, it is indeed in the device manager section. Again, if I perform a reset (and remove the presets), it works just fine right after.

I also tried with a MIDI-USB adapter (using the MIDI in/out on the timefactor) and same result after manually selecting the MIDI interface in H9 Control.

Thanks

Hi, I am not sure you solved this, but I have the same problem on a mac, the timefactor is only working via MIDI, usb is not working no more.

Any tips are welcome. swoftware is up-to-date and also the H9…

It was working perfect, suddenly stopped.

Hope you can help.

gkellum
        Participant
        Giacomo Cicirello wrote:

Hi, I am not sure you solved this, but I have the same problem on a mac, the timefactor is only working via MIDI, usb is not working no more.

Could you open up the Audio MIDI Setup app on the Mac and see if your TimeFactor is appearing there as a MIDI device?

There are some other trouble shooting tips in the H9 Control manual:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/support/downloads/h9-control-manual

gkellum wrote:

Giacomo Cicirello wrote:

Could you open up the Audio MIDI Setup app on the Mac and see if your TimeFactor is appearing there as a MIDI device?

I am attaching a Screenshot, looks fine as my both factors are grayed out…

I have changed cables, factory restored, upgrade al software updates…

Any tip or help is welcome!!! It is very unconfortable connect via MIDI… USB was great

Giacomo Cicirello wrote:

gkellum wrote:

Giacomo Cicirello wrote:

I am attaching a Screenshot, looks fine as my both factors are grayed out…

I have changed cables, factory restored, upgrade al software updates…

Any tip or help is welcome!!! It is very unconfortable connect via MIDI… USB was great

Just tried with other MAC, same thing, not connecting via USB

ASoliver24
      Participant

alguem.com novidade sobre esse problema de USB

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.