Timefactor phantom power?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Timefactor phantom power?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      ctc

Okay, I've looked in the manual, the knowledge base, the faq, and this forum and I'm unable to find any reference to the Timefactor being able to provide phantom power to a midi foot controller through its midi port. I thought I read about it once upon a time..but I can't find it now.

Can anybody please tell me if the Timefactor has the capability to provide phantom power through its midi port to a midi foot controller?

achaput

Eventide stompboxes do NOT provide phantom power over MIDI.

ctc

OK. I am considering  buying a midi controller with a 7 pin midi port that can use phantom power. Would it be possible to make an adapter with a 5 pin midi to plug into the TimeFactor, a 7 pin midi for the foot controller and a power connector to send power down the extra 2 pins to provide pseudo phantom power?

Can anyone tell me what the pin assignments are on the TimeFactor midi port?

ctc

Okay, I think I found another solution.

If I went with the Tech21 Midi Mouse (MM), which utilizes a 5 pin DIN capable of receiving phantom power over pins #1 & #3, and DVM Electronics Phantom Power Insertion Cable (PPIC), I would plug the PPIC's male 5 pin DIN into the Timefactor's MIDI in port, then connect the PPIC's 5 pin DIN to the MM's 5 pin DIN with a standard 5 pin MIDI cable. I would then plug the 2.1mm power cord from the PPIC to a 9V 100mA port (which is exactly the MM's power specifications) on my iso-5.

The PPIC's instructions states that it only sends power to the controller, and not toward the Timefactor. I guess I would just have to make sure that the Timefactor does not utilize pins #1 & #3.

Any comments would be appreciated.

woodshedder

I hate to be the bringer of bad news.. but NO you can't phantom powert any of the factor pedals. They aren't internally wired to recieve power thru the midi connections, so none of the pins will save you! Sorry!

ctc

Thank you for your post, but you misunderstand. I'm not trying to phantom power the factor pedal, I'm trying to phantom power the midi foot controller! Your reply would be greatly appreciated.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Hi ctc

The TF follows the MIDI specification, so pins 1 and 3 are not connected to anything. Hope this is what you need.

madmac
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

Hi ctc

The TF follows the MIDI specification, so pins 1 and 3 are not connected to anything. Hope this is what you need.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread:

In the process of making my own midi cables for TF and 2 x H9 just confirming the pin connections are the same for H9 and Factors?  

i.e. 1 and 3 not used, 2shld – 2 shld, 4-4, 5-5

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

I think this cable would be easier for you…

http://www.rocktron.com/products/accessories/midicable5to7pin/

it has 5 pins on one end and then a socket for the power adapter and 7 pins on the other end.

So the 5 pin connector would connect to the TimeFacor, the power into the power socket and the 7 pin connector goes into the midi controller.

word of advice though, not sure about the midimouse, but the midimate and taptempo on the TimeFactor do not work together.

the CC for taptempo on the Factor boxes accept anything over 64 as a pulse, so if (like my MIDI Mate) the button acts like a latched switch as in stomp on/stomp off. then only every other press of the tap tempo will be seen as a pulse, so you end up having a tempo of 50% what you think it should be.

first press sends the CC with a value of 127, the second press sends a value of 0.

ctc

Yes, thank you for posting this Rocktron midi cable product, which I thankfully happened upon the night before last prior to ordering the midi mouse!

Based upon my research there appears to be many different types of MIDI foot controllers out there, all with varying degrees of functionality, sophistication, and price. I was trying to find one that would of course send program changes to select the Timefactor's presets, but one that would also send continuous control messages to operate some of the 9 Timefactor functions "like a stomp box".

To get this type of functionality and still have buttons left over to select programs I concluded that I would need at least the $400 12 button voodoo lab ground control Pro which could be configured, although IMHO un-intuitively, with 8 CC messages. Still, this level of investment would not yield "a stomp box" functionality because Eventide has not programmed the Timefactor to allow MIDI to select "bank preset 1" and "bank preset 2"!?

So without those two functions BK+ and BK- are rendered meaningless. Additionally I concluded that I did not need BYP because my Timefactor is in my amplifiers effects loop which can be toggled on/off with the tap of a button on its foot controller. That leaves TAP ( I too read about the tap tempo problems with some MIDI foot controllers), RPT, P/B, REC, PLY, and STP all of which I can control with my three button Digitech FS3X auxiliary switch. So, the only functionality that I was missing was being able to scroll through and select the Timefactor's presets.

I found two simple MIDI foot controllers that would be able to do this: Tech21's Midi Mouse, and Rocktron's Midi Xchange. Both are small, rugged, utilize phantom power, and are easy to use. At first I only saw the Phantom Power Insertion Cable mentioned above and was about to purchase the Midi Mouse. But then I found the Rocktron 5 to 7 pin midi cable which brought the midi Xchange back into play.

All other things being equal I found that the midi Xchange had superior functionality over the Midi Mouse requiring one less button push to scroll through and select the Timefactor's presets, and its ability to toggle back and forth between the last two used presets. Additionally it has expression pedal ports that can accept my VP Jr. eliminating another cable back to the amp.

So together my Digitech FS3X, Ernie ball VP Jr., and Rocktron Midi Xchange should provide the control I need to operate my Timefactor. I'll let you know how it all works after I get it. Whew, all that for a little bit of rock 'n roll!

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

ctc:

Still, this level of investment would not yield "a stomp box" functionality because Eventide has not programmed the Timefactor to allow MIDI to select "bank preset 1" and "bank preset 2"!?

So without those two functions BK+ and BK- are rendered meaningless. Additionally I concluded that I did not need BYP because my Timefactor is in my amplifiers effects loop which can be toggled on/off with the tap of a button on its foot controller. That leaves TAP ( I too read about the tap tempo problems with some MIDI foot controllers), RPT, P/B, REC, PLY, and STP all of which I can control with my three button Digitech FS3X auxiliary switch. So, the only functionality that I was missing was being able to scroll through and select the Timefactor's presets.

Do you mean say sending Program Change code to select a specific TimeFactor preset?

eg press button 1 on the controller and the Eventide selects Bank 3:1, press button 3 on the controller and the Eventide selects Bank 7:2?

You can do this, you need to go to the mapping and map the PC code to the relevent TimeFactor bank that you want, this is what I do.

If you are interested in getting the CC issue resolved, it should be possible if Eventide put an option to allow any CC Value to trigger the function rather than only values over 64. I have a thread talking about MIDI tap tempo, so it would be worth you singing a "+1 I agree" to the suggestion …(if you do agree that is!LOL)

http://forum.eventide.com/cs/forums/t/6751.aspx

ctc

badmelonfarmer:

Do you mean say sending Program Change code to select a specific TimeFactor preset?

eg press button 1 on the controller and the Eventide selects Bank 3:1, press button 3 on the controller and the Eventide selects Bank 7:2?

No. By "bank preset 1" and "bank preset 2" I'm referring to the functions of the left and middle foot switches on the Timefactor when in bank mode. If Eventide programed these as parameter destinations BP1 and BP2 (ie: BYP, BK+, BK-, TAP…etc.), then the Timefactor could truly function in a stomp box mode utilizing midi cc messages as opposed to simply calling up presets with program change messages.

I'll take a look at your other post.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

ahhh, ok I understand what you mean now.

Personally I prefer to work in PC codes and banks for my setup, but I can see totally where you are coming from.

ctc

I have now auditioned both the Tech21 Midi Mouse and the Rocktron Midi Xchange. Both are small, rugged, 3-button MIDI footcontrollers that have phantom power capability and that work out-of-the-box with the Timefactor.

The midi mouse is gorgeous and at only half the size of the midi Xchange it can fit almost anywhere on my pedal board. It's super bright 3-character red LED is easy to see plus it's 3-button operation is whisper quiet.  If you're style of playing simply requires stepping up or down through sequentially arranged program changes, this footcontroller is for you as it does that incredibly well. However, it's small form factor size comes at a cost in that the effective distance between its buttons is 1-3/4" (as measured parallel to the front of the unit) resulting in too many unintended button pushes during a jam session. Also I find it's active/search button functionality to be unintuitive also resulting in unintended button pushes. Additionally it's fast scrolling feature is much too fast for me to be able to stop any closer than within 3 or 4 numbers of the desired program change. I end up fiddling with the up and down buttons instead of playing my part.

The midi Xchange offers nearly flawless simple bank and select functionality and its ability to toggle back and forth between the last two used presets is brilliant! If your playing style requires jumping around non-sequentially arranged program changes, this footcontroller is for you as it does that incredibly well. On the other hand it looks as though it fell off the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down, it's gargantuan size prevents it from easily fitting into my pedal layout, and the snap of its buttons produces an audible click that can clearly be heard at moderate playing volumes.

For my style of on-the-fly improvisation, the Midi Xchange is the better of the two.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Hi CTC,

can either do Midi CC for Tap Tempo?

I am still trying to find a way of doing Tap Tempo via MIDI.

Cheers

BMF

ctc

No, neither can transmit CC messages, only PCs. I read your post on Rocktron Midi Mate which won't work for TT…what a shame. For TT you need a more $ophisticated footcontroller.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Yeah, I feared as much.

Thanks for confirming though.

Back, again to the drawing board as I do not want to spend £500+ on a midi controller… So unsexy! LOL

I am watching an ebay item at the moment on another controller that I think might do it.

I might even have to consider the unthinkable and look at the berhinger rip off of the Roland Midi controller to see if it can do it. (shudders at concept)

bert lams
      Participant

thanks for this very useful comparison between the two small midi footswitches.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.