TimeFactor question: why the volume bump when the effect is engaged in mono?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes TimeFactor question: why the volume bump when the effect is engaged in mono?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      danut

I have a stereo rig but every once in a while I have to go mono, due to FOH not having enough channels or whatever. The problem is that in mono, when I engage the effect, the volume bumps sensibly. Is this due to the delay lines coming on top of the dry line in the same monaural signal?

It's kind of annoying…

achaput

Hello,

Can you provide more details? What gear are you using, how is it connected, what are the settings?

danut

I'm running the following gear (summarised), set-up in stereo, but my issue is only for the case I'm running in mono (Output 1 only):

– Guitar -> comp- > clean boost/OD -> BadCat 2-Tone tube preamp ->  Boss DD-7 always on (here the signal gets split): -A -> dry out from the DD-7 -> Timefactor input 1 -> Output 1 -> amp A

-B -> wet side of the DD-7(which is the same as dry, just a couple of milliseconds delayed, for a thickening effect) -> Timefactor input 2 -> Output 2 -> amp B

When using the above set-up in stereo everything is just fine, but as soon as I'm going mono (Output 1 only and with the DD-7 in bypass) I have this issue. The same TF settings that work just fine in stereo give me now volume bumps in mono.

cretacci

I have the same volume issue when engagin the TF.  If I reduce the Wet/Dry mix, the volume bump is less.  Any solutions to this issue?

danut

Last night I took some time and made some experiments and here's what I found: the volume bump is no lo longer an issue as soon as I use the TimeFactor in mono in/mono out operation. It was a problem when both inputs were active on the TF (although both caryying a dry, identical signal coming from a bypassed DD-7 in front) and only one output was used (Output 1). In the TF manual they elude the stereo in/mono out scenario, maybe the pedal is not ready for that. So all I had to do was simply unplugging the cable going into Input 2 of the TF and, voila, no longer volume bumps.

guitarlesson

Oops, I just hit the "Suggest as answer" button on danut's last post, thinking I was hitting "Suggest an anser." Apologies.

First of all, I need to ask a simple question, only because I was having a volume boost issue with my timefactor and solved it. You have your input and output jacks set to guitar>amp or line>line, right? Once when I was updating the TF software, I bumped the input switch without knowing it, and I wound up blaming the software.

But from what you're describing, I don't think this is the case.

I suspect a hardware issue, personally. It's possible that just your output B is refusing to switch from line to guitar level or vice versa. A lot of times a toggle switch will have a short across two leads that effectively lock it in one state or another. I fixed this on two pedals yesterday. Or it could be something wrong with the switching in the TRS output jack. It's tough to say though without a schematic in front of me, so if it's a really bad problem, which it sounds like it is, I'd say send it in to Eventide. I can't immagine what you're describing can be software or user error.

danut

I have those switches set-up correctly. And they are working fine either way (I mean I get volume differences when i set them adversely). So I don't think it is a hardware problem. I think the core of the problem  is using dual inputs and a mono output. 

But I'd like to read Achaput's opinion on all this.

achaput

Hi,

Some might call this a feature while others call it a problem. Either way it's on purpose.

When you plug in stereo inputs the pedal automatically goes into true stereo operation regardless of how many outputs are plugged in. That's why you hear a volume difference.

If you still want to use it in this configuration you could compensate for the volume difference by saving your preset with a lower output volume. (This feature is new in V3 software.)

-Alan

guitarlesson

OK, well, I feel silly now. Thanks Alan.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.