TimeFactor with other delay pedals

Home Forums Products Stompboxes TimeFactor with other delay pedals

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      davwood
      Participant

Not sure if this has been addressed or not but I for some reason cannot get other delay pedals to work with the TF in the chain. With the TF off the other pedals don't work. TF ON, you can get the other pedals to work but of course its a mess.

Tried this with multiple pedals (DLS Echo Tap, Deville Dark Echo, etc.) in multiple settings….standard pedalchains and also with switchers (gigrig 8 and 14) with no luck. VERY strange. 

Any reason a TimeFactor want to be this greedy?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Not clear what you mean by "work".

If you mean will not pass audio,  try different cables. If that fails, there may be a problem with the bypass relay – contact support@eventide.com.

If you mean will not pass MIDI when it's off – nothing does.

davwood
      Participant

It passes audio just fine, what i meant was other delay pedals while on or off, NO effect (from other delay pedals) is present while the eventide is OFF. With eventide ON, u can hear the other delay pedal but obviously I want to use them separately .

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Still not clear. Do you mean it passes audio fine when it is off ?

Please give a clear and full description of the problem – it's too difficult otherwise.

Have you tried different cables as suggested ? Are they tip and sleeve or tip/ring/sleeve ?

How is everything connected ? What is the ordering? Are you using stereo or mono ?

davwood
      Participant

Yes, the only issue here is getting the other delay pedal to play nice with the timefactor, meaning being able to use the other delay with the Timefactor turned OFF. Everything else works just fine. Timefactor by itself….works fine. In all situations, no matter what type of set up (typical pedalboard chain, Timefactor on the end of the chain, other delay either before or after timefactor OR used in a switching system, other delay before or after…STILL GETTING NO EFFECT from other delay pedal). This presents itself even when i'm only running guitar-delay-timefactor-amp routing with nothing to get in the way. Both units, either on or off still passes audio no matter what the configuration is.

Tried different cables yes, no change. Using lava cables, guitarcables.com, every type imaginable, same result. Using mono only. 

Thanks!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry – this is too difficult.

If timefactor is OFF, it either passes audio or it does not.

If it passes audio fine, the problem is somewhere else in your system. Maybe some cabling issue with the other pedal.

davwood
      Participant

Thats what i thought. I know this is a tough one. Never experienced anything like this in 23 years of playing, nor any of my friends who are even pedal designers.

When the timefactor is OFF, YES it passes audio just fine.

I've tried multiple delay pedals, multiple cables, multiple setups (switchers, direct, etc.)….when the Timefactor is involved, other delay pedals simply won't work. VERY strange. 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

It's clearly some fiendish Eventide plot to discredit the competition. I still think the problem is in your cabling, but giving the benefit of the doubt …

When the TF is OFF,  relays disconnects the jacks from the electronics and connects input to output. What is known by some as "true bypass". The only thing that make it different from a piece of wire are a few small caps and inductors for EMI suppression.

It is possible that one of the relays is faulty, but in this case one would expect it to load the signal, causing a loss of tone. The effects from the other unit would still be there, but probably distorted in some way.

When you say the other delay pedals simply won't work, what exactly do you mean ?

Are you sure you have the simplest possible connections ?

DGillespie
      Eventide Staff

Hi Davwood,

I'm sure you've tried this but can you help us out by trying the simplest of setups just so we're on the same page.  Go from you guitar into the Deville Dark Echo with 1 cable, then out of the Deville Dark Echo into the TF input 1 with 1 cable, then out of the TF output 1 with and into the amp with 1 cable.  You should only be using 3 cables.

Now with both pedals bypassed, do you get dry audio?

If so with TF on do you get delayed audio?

If so with Deville and TF on do you get 2 times the delayed audio?

If so with Deville on and TF off do you just get the Deville?

If you don't (I believe this is what you were saying, but please try anyway), if you unplug the cable between the TF and deville, and plug the amp cable into the deville, so there are just 2 cables now, does it work?

Let us know.

Thanks,

Dan

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Yet another question from one of my colleagues – when you say OFF, I've been assuming that you mean powered down. Is it possible that you mean BYPASSed instead ?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.