Too much lows in Phaser algo H9

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Too much lows in Phaser algo H9

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Bodde
      Participant

I was fiddling again with the phaser algo today. What I noticed (and I noticed that a few years ago as well) is that almost all sounds that you make have too much lows. It can be very boomy and muddy and there is no way to dial that out. Same for guitar and bass. Even with the intensity at zero. Makes a lot of the features and sounds of the phaser algo not really usable to me. What would really help is a low cutt or something. Hoping for some improvements in the phaser algo some day. Any ideas on this boomy sound?

Bodde
      Participant

No one interested in the phaser algo? Any tips or comments?

joeydego
      Participant

This has not been my experience with the phaser algo. What amp do you use? Are your settings particularly bassy? A fix would of course be an EQ pedal down the chain with a high pass, probably somewhere around 150-250Hz or so.

Bodde
      Participant

This has not been my experience with the phaser algo. What amp do you use? Are your settings particularly bassy? A fix would of course be an EQ pedal down the chain with a high pass, probably somewhere around 150-250Hz or so.

Thanks for your reply. I tested on studio monitors and amps and also compared it to my other phaser pedals and Axe fx. I don’t use bassy setting on my amps. I also compared it to the dry/bypassed sound. The dry sound doesn’t have too much bass.

apalazzolo
      Participant

I am loath to comment unless I think I know what I’m talking about.  Here, I don’t.  Nonetheless, here’s a guess:

Try sweeping the “type” control through the various settings.  You “may” find a setting to your liking.  I have to guess that one of these (“negative”?)  results in more phase cancellation than the others and, thus, sounds thinner.

Good luck!

joeydego
      Participant

I’m afraid this may likely be a fatal flaw for you. I don’t think there will be further product development outside of the errant bug fix for the H9. You just may not like the phaser algo in this pedal (and that’s perfectly ok).

Bodde
      Participant

I’m afraid this may likely be a fatal flaw for you. I don’t think there will be further product development outside of the errant bug fix for the H9. You just may not like the phaser algo in this pedal (and that’s perfectly ok).

Thank you both for the responses. I have experimented a lot with the phaser algo since I am a bit of a phaser freak. I can get some good sounds out of it so I am not unhappy with the algo. But it is a bit hard to find the really sweet spots for basic analog phaser type sound. A pedal like the Phase 90 script for example only has sweet spots and it just has one knob. I have that pedal and I was trying to recreate that sound but I had a hard time finding the right frequencies. I tried different types. Seems like the depth knob is adding some lows and muddiness in the positive and phaseX0 types.

joeydego
      Participant

Glad you’re still getting some use from it. The way I see the H9, it was designed to be a blender but never meant to replace the entire kitchen. I’m happy to have mine, irreplaceable in some regards but also need other appliances to make dinner. Use your phase 90 if that’s what you know and love.

my H9 lives on my board with a fractal AX8 so I may have a lot more tonal shaping options at my feet. Ironically my EVH phasey sound I do prefer the H9 over the fractals phaser but I also find both perfectly useful, too.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.