Tracking changes in Output Volume & Input Volume made by MIDI CC

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Tracking changes in Output Volume & Input Volume made by MIDI CC

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      cljfford
      Participant

I’m having fun learning to control the H9 with a MIDI foot Controller. You’ve made it possible to do so many things by foot and I wanted to see if I could adjust volume using the SoftStep2’s Y Increment capability. I’ve got the same method working to adjust KB0-KB9 successfully, so I feel like those mechanics are working. 

In “Assign MIDI CC Messages to Pedal Functions”, I assigned Output Volume to CC33 and Input Volume to CC34 and have set up my MIDI controller to control those parameters. When I tweak those INPUT and OUTPUT values on the MIDI controller, I see the H9 HOTKNOB’s ring lights change and can hear a difference in Volume but I don’t see any change in the Output Knob in H9 Control or in the H9 Control at Pedal/ Input Gain & Level Meters’ gain slider, respectively. Could the MIDI assignments for INPUT and OUTPUT VOLUME be controlling something else or is this just that the software UI isn’t seeing the changes?

In other words, if I move the Input Gain slider in H9 Control, I see the same value updated in [UTILS] in the pedal’s System Mode, i.e. I read IN +5.5. on the pedal and +5.5 in the Control app. But these values don’t change when the MIDI controller changes the volume, even though the HOTKNOB lights change and I hear the volumes adjust. Can someone please explain why this might be happening?

gkellum
      Participant
      cljfford wrote:

In other words, if I move the Input Gain slider in H9 Control, I see the same value updated in [UTILS] in the pedal's System Mode, i.e. I read IN +5.5. on the pedal and +5.5 in the Control app. But these values don't change when the MIDI controller changes the volume, even though the HOTKNOB lights change and I hear the volumes adjust. Can someone please explain why this might be happening?

The input gain from UTILS in System Mode is different than the input gain that's MIDI controllable.  The input gain in System Mode is gain that can be applied before the ADC converter to boost the signal a bit if needed to improve the conversion quality.  That gain is limited to only 12dB and it's cancelled out on the output with a corresponding cut so that there's zero net change in gain.

cljfford
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

The input gain from UTILS in System Mode is different than the input gain that’s MIDI controllable.  The input gain in System Mode is gain that can be applied before the ADC converter to boost the signal a bit if needed to improve the conversion quality.  That gain is limited to only 12dB and it’s cancelled out on the output with a corresponding cut so that there’s zero net change in gain.

A belated thank you!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.