Trouble setting up TF to control MF

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Trouble setting up TF to control MF

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      datguytim

I bought a MIDI cable to have my Timefactor control my Modfactor, but I can't seem to make it work. I'm following the Manual's instructions, but it's not happening. Can someone literally walk me through each step it takes for the TF to send a program change (via MIDI Program Change Transmit Map?!?) to the MF (via MIDI Program Change Receive Map?!?).

I can only get the 1-16 to appear, not the 0-127 OR the flashing arrows!

I'm sure I'm overlooking something – thanks guys!

datguytim

Ok – I figured out a few more things. I still can't make the assignments stick – anyone?!?

achaput

First, decide which pedal you want to be the Controller. Connect the MIDI OUT/THRU port from that pedal (Controller) to the MIDI IN port of the pedal you want to control (Slave).

Next you have to enable the control settings you want on the Controller:

1. Enter System Mode on the Controller by pressing and holding both the Encoder Button+Right Footswitch for a few seconds.
      2. Turn the Encoder Knob until you see 'MIDI,' then press the Encoder Button to enter the MIDI menu.
      3. Turn the Encoder Knob until you see 'PGM XMT' (Program Transmit). Press the Encoder Button to enter this menu and set the value to 'ON'. This will allow the Controller to change Presets remotely on the Slave.

You can also set the Controller to control parameter values on the Slave via its ten knobs and its Expression Pedal. To do this:

1. Set 'CTL XMT' (Control Transmit) to ON in the same way as described above. This will enable MIDI Continuous Controller Transmitting.
      2. You'll have to determine which parameters on the Slave you'd like to be controlled. This is done in the Slave's 'RCV CTL' (Receive Control) MIDI menu. In this menu you'll see abbreviations of the things that can be controlled. This includes the ten knobs, the Expression Pedal, Bypass, and other functions. Any of these can be set to a RCV CTL number. When you match that number to a number in the Controller's 'XMT CC' menu, then the Controller can control that item.  

You shouldn't have to save anything for the MIDI menu settings to stick, just leave System mode the same way you entered it by pressing and holding both the Right Footswitch and the Encoder Knob for a few seconds.

datguytim

Thanks Alan! One more question: is it possible to assign ANY program # from the TimeFactor (4:1, 11:2, etc.) to ANY program # on the ModFactor? I can't seem to be able to do this.

I appreciate your thorough response!

achaput

You can assign any program to load ANY program. That's what the 'RCV MAP'
      and the 'XMT MAP' are used for. These are your "Factor Presets to MIDI Program
      Number Conversion Charts."

The way the Factor pedals use MIDI Program Change is like this:

Standard MIDI uses Presets numbered in order from 0 to 127. Factor pedals are
      numbered differently because since they have three footswitches, two of those
      footswitches are for selecting Presets from Banks of two (1:1 – 1:2, 2:1 – 2:2,
      3:1 – 3:2, etc.) and the third footswitch changes Bank. But for MIDI Transmit
      purposes each Factor Preset is also assigned to a MIDI Program Change number
      from 0-127. The factory default settings are in numerical order, like this:

'XMT MAP'
      MIDI Menu

Factor Pedal

Preset Number

MIDI Program Change Number Transmitted by Factor Pedal
      1:1 0
      1:2 1

2:1 2
      2:2 3

3:1 4
      3:2 5
      And so on…. And so on….

The numbers in this table can be changed in the System Mode's MIDI
      XMT MAP menu to suit your needs.

For example, let's say you have a TimeFactor controlling a ModFactor. When
      you select TimeFactor Preset 1:1 you might want it to change ModFactor's Preset
      to 3:2 instead of 1:1. If you look at the table above you'll see that Factor
      Preset 3:2 corresponds to MIDI Program Change #5 by default. So if you change
      TimeFactor's 'XMT MAP' value for "1:1>0" to "1:1>5",
      then selecting Preset 1:1 on TimeFactor will load Preset 3:2 on the ModFactor.
      The table would then look like this:

'XMT MAP'
      MIDI Menu

Factor Pedal

Preset Number

MIDI Program Change Number Transmitted by Factor Pedal
      1:1 5
      1:2 1

2:1 2
      2:2 3

3:1 4
      3:2 5
      And so on…. And so on….

Notice that with the above settings, TimeFactor Preset 1:1 and TimeFactor
      Preset 3:2 will both select ModFactor's Preset 3:2 because they are both set
      to transmit MIDI Program Change #5. This means you can set multiple different
      presets on the master pedal to call up the same presets on the slave pedal.
      This can come in handy!

You can also change the Receive Map, which is the System Mode's MIDI RCV
      MAP menu.

The Receive Map is the opposite as it tells the Factor pedal which Preset it
      should load when it receives a certain MIDI Program Change number. Again, the
      factory default values are in numerical order:

'RCV MAP'
      MIDI Menu

When Factor receives this MIDI Program Change number It will load this Preset
      0 1:1
      1 1:2

2 2:1
      3 2:2

4 3:1
      5 3:2
      And so on…. And so on….

When the master pedal is controlling more than one slave you may want to change
      the slave pedals' RCV MAPs and leave the master's XMT MAP on the default settings.
      It depends what you want to do, and how complex your setup is. The combination
      of an editable Transmit Map and an editable Recieve Map on every Factor Pedal
      means a lot of flexibility!

-Alan

datguytim

thanks alan! I still can't get it to work after following your directions. Do I need to set the MF up via Receive Map?

achaput

You might have to set up the MF via Receive Map if the factory settings have been changed. The slave pedal's RCV CH (MIDI receive channel) should either OMNI or match the controller pedal's XMT CH (MIDI transmit channel.)

Rikkie

Hi Alan,

I hookt up a Midi
      pedal board -> Modfactor-> NovaDrive (from TC) By
      Midi

Everything works well.

But:

The NovaDrive has only
      18 presets and  doesn’t have Prog. Chance Mapping

So i want to use the
       XMT
      MIDI Transmit Channel
      Control from the Modfactor to control one of those 18 Presets to the
      Novadrive

I
      did:

– Set the MIDI
      Transmit Channel  –  ch1 NovaDrive also at ch1

– i Create a MIDI
      Program Change Transmit Map  for example 13.1 > 1,   13:2
      >2…..

– MIDI Program Change
      Transmit Enable – on

– MIDI Transmit/Thru
      Select – XMT

So now if i choose a
      preset on my pedal board the ModFactor does the same as before (thats ok), but
      the Nova Drive doesn’t do
      anything.

ONLY, if i hit a
      Button ON the ModFactor (in bank
      mode), the NovaDrive chance to the desire preset.

What do i do wrong,

I just want to control
      everything by my pedal board

Thanx in
      advance

Rik

achaput

Hi Rik,

You can only have one MIDI controller at a time unless you get a MIDI merge device.

If you want ModFactor to change NovaDrive presets, keep the setup as-is.

If you want your MIDI pedal board to change NovaDrive presets then set ModFactor's MIDI Transmit/Thru Select to THRU. (ModFactor will no longer change presets on NovaDrive but MIDI pedal board will.)

Rikkie

Hi Alan,

Thanx for that quick response.

But i dont think you understood it, or i din't explane it very well.

I have a Midicontroller,…… and the MF and ND are in a rack.

I have 128 presets in my Midi pedal board, 40 Pres. in the MF, and 18 Pres. in the ND

If i select preset 41 on my Midi pedal board, i CAN do a Prog.Change in the MF and choose (for example) Pres. 12. No problem so far.

BUT the ND doesn't have Prog.Changes.
      So, If i select preset 41 on my Midi pedal board, i get Pres 12 on my MF, and the ND doesn't changes. It changes only the First 18 Presets. (logical to me)

so i notice that the MF has a MIDI Program Change (send) Transmit Map

Quote. from Manual MF:

[XMT MAP] – Create a MIDI Program Change Transmit Map
      In Bank Mode, when a Footswitch is used to recall a Preset, a MIDI Program Change message
      can be transmitted from the MIDI Out jack or USB to control an external device (e.g. another
      Factor series Stompbox, an Eventide Eclipse, an Eventide H000FW, etc.).

So i:
      – Set the MIDI Transmit Channel  –  ch1 NovaDrive also at ch1
      – i Create a MIDI Program Change Transmit Map  for example 13.1 (on the MF) = > 1(on the ND),   13:2 >2…..
      – MIDI Program Change Transmit Enable – on
      – MIDI Transmit/Thru Select – XMT

But it doesn't work when i select a Preste on my pedalboard.

ONLY, if i hit a Button ON the ModFactor (in bank mode), the NovaDrive chance to the desire preset.

greetings

rik

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

See my other reply to this question.

rikkie:

when a Footswitch is used to recall a Preset, a MIDI Program Change message
      can be transmitted from the MIDI Out jack or USB

It really does mean that a program change message is ONLY sent when the program is loaded from a footswitch.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.