Trouble with MIDI dump

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Trouble with MIDI dump

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      DrOrange

I am completely new to using MIDI in almost any shape or form

I need a really simplified explanation on storing and dumping presets from my modfactor.

I have downloaded FactorLib Preset Librarian but im not sure how to connect it..

i have cables that go from midi in/out into USB

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You may need more specific information than this forum can provide. But, let's give it a try.

Probably all you need to do is to connect a USB cable from your computer to your 'Factor (no MIDI connector needed – it all goes over USB).

Then, read the FactorLib User Manual. Pay special attention to MIDI/Config (meaning the Config command on the FactorLib MIDI Menu). Once this shows the values described in the Manual, you should just need to do File/Open from MIDI to get presets from your 'Factor.

That should be all you need, but things are always harder than they should be – come back if you have problems.

DrOrange

Well.. i tried again… im using the right shaped usb connector from the modfactor to a usb port on my computer…

and i re-read the instruction manual for pedal librarian and im doing exactly what they say (to click MIDI config) and select the stompbox, this is the trouble spot… with the stompbox unplugged the options are (input: usb audio device and output has 2: usb audio device and Microsoft GS wavetable sw synth)

then once the stompbox is connected my computer makes the chime that means its recognized a connection and in the MIDI config menu theres a different option [(USB audio device (2)] for both input and output… and once i select that it says "NO STOMPBOX FOUND check connections and MIDI config. then try again…

so now im stuck ive tried all the combinations and it cant seem to recognize the stompbox

DrOrange

ok it's working now… sorry about that… i guess on the drop down menu there was a combination i hadnt tried yet

but it is working only with the MIDI cables not the usb one i have that i used to get the new update with (usb to a square usb like connection)

mabye i misunderstood you but the one im using is usb for the computer end and midi in and midi out on the other end…

your technical support on these forums is amazing, keep it up

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Thanks for the kind words – sadly not everyone agrees.

You can use either a USB to USB cable plugging into the USB socket on the 'Factor, or (as you are doing) a USB to MIDI adaptor. These will need different settings on the MIDI config page.

But, you've got it working, so that's what counts.

DrOrange

how do i change it from midi to usb?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

During normal use, if at any time you have a USB cable plugged in (both ends !!) it will assume you want to use it. Otherwise it will look for a DIN MIDI connection.

The situation is different for Updates – it makes the decision once at power-up and doesn't rethink it.

DrOrange

currently i have both usb and midi-usb connected but the update utility refuses to recognize the pedal

i have tried re-booting the pedal and there is no change

i have also tried each connection seperately… still no change i doesnt recognize the pedal

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You may be confusing it by having both connected. Just use the USB, and make sure that it is connected before you power up the 'Factor. Disconnect all other USB and MIDI devices from your computer.

If it still does not see it, try a different USB cable and then a different computer. If this fails, contact support@eventide.com.

DrOrange

sincerest apologies once again… this always happens to me

it was a bad usb cable connection… i had to use an extension and the extension was dead

the last time i had a problem it got solved right after i made an enraged post

thanks guys for the prompt help

TubeAmped

I just got my TimeFactor yesterday (and am loving how it sounds), but am getting frustrated trying to back up patches.  I am hesitant to start creating any presets until I can get the backing up figured out.  I have a USB cable hooked up and confirmed that I can update the TimeFactor, but have been unsuccessful at being able to "open from MIDI" in the Library software.  What has worked for others?  This is getting aggravating…

Thank you – Mike

DrOrange

try using a midi -> usb cable.. that worked for me.. they say that it automatically figures out which connection youre going through when you start it up

so my only advice is to plug in the usb cable and then turn on the timefactor

TubeAmped

I have a M-Audio Uno and that wouldn't work with Windows 7 64 bit.  I was finally able to back my presets up using the USB cable on my Windows XP SP3 machine upstairs – kind of a pain in the butt to be honest.  It would be nice if developers would finally make things compatible with Win 7 64 Bit – a lot of people are using it…

Thank you, anyway – Mike

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.