Trying to get MXR-117 Flanger sound

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Trying to get MXR-117 Flanger sound

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      netgig

I have been trying and trying and can not replicate the classic Van Halen ” Unchained ” sound on the H9. I can get kind of close…. but not really. I want it to have the oscilating from top to bottom and back sound…. If you know a setting…. please post it. The setting on the MXR-117 is all knobs basically at 12oclock.

Thanks,

Daren

jesse.christenson

We have a factory preset built in that emulates the Ain't Talkin 'bout Love sound so maybe start there and see if that gets you closer. I've included an image of the setting in H9 Control.

netgig

I have tried that one…..it is a really good setting for phaser but not for the classic “unchained” flanger that is a distinct sound. I have looked through all the VH presets and did not find anything. I feel like it should be able to do it but can not get it there. The sound is a FAT sound with a chug chug chug that starts high and goes low and back…….

brock
      Participant

Here’s something to dial in.  I took the settings from a “hard-wired” MXR flanger – all knobs at 12:00 o’clock.

Keep the SPEED between 0.10 Hz. and 10 Hz. to be accurate.  MODFY DLY O/P isn’t calibrated in milliseconds, but between 0.5 and 16 ms. is the correct range.  If you’re feeling experimental, you can use the Vintage or Mod Delay algorithms.

netgig

I really appreciate it!!

axessmario
      Participant

Below’s my attempt at EVH’s UNCHained preset. FYI, I run the H9 in the fx loop of my EVH LBX head, into a 4×12.

axessmario
      Participant

The image in my previous post shows only half of the preset parameters, here’s both images…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.