Tuner in H90

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Tuner in H90

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Blackstrat83
      Participant

Hi. Just purchased the h90 and very happy with it!. Learning to use it and learning new things every day.

That said, I just have some concerns about the tuner. I know the display is small but I’m having a hard time tuning because it moves a lot.
      What I really want to know is when do you guys consider that the string is tuned:<span style=”font-size: inherit;”> When it gets to 00 in the first pluck of the string or when the string rest for while?</span>

is there plans to make it more visually friendly in upcoming firmware upgrades? Or maybe include other tuning modes?

Thanks in advance,

best,

Blackstrat

brock
      Participant

… What I really want to know is when do you guys consider that the string is tuned:  When it gets to 00 in the first pluck of the string or when the string rest for while? …

Tuning is – by nature – a compromise.  Personally, I always wait until it settles down from the initial attack.  That’s the best average for my usual playing, and it avoids some of the physics involved with metal strings.

Flesh is more forgiving than picks, and right hand position plays a role.  I suppose your tuning preference will also depend on your style of music & playing style.  Do you have a strong RH attack, with lots of palm muting & chugs?  Or a lighter, legato technique?

Blackstrat83
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: right;”>

</p>

… What I really want to know is when do you guys consider that the string is tuned: When it gets to 00 in the first pluck of the string or when the string rest for while? …

<p style=”text-align: right;”>Tuning is – by nature – a compromise. Personally, I always wait until it settles down from the initial attack. That’s the best average for my usual playing, and it avoids some of the physics involved with metal strings. Flesh is more forgiving than picks, and right hand position plays a role. I suppose your tuning preference will also depend on your style of music & playing style. Do you have a strong RH attack, with lots of palm muting & chugs? Or a lighter, legato technique?

</p>
      I play with a heavy hand but not for tuning. Well let’s see if I get used to the tuner in a couple of days. Have no space in the board for a new tuner, unless I kick off the wah!

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

I always advise plucking the string with a medium attack. I consider something in tune when it sustains the longest on zero one second after the initial pluck.

Blackstrat83
        Participant

Couple of days in and I’m getting more used to the tuner!

Thanks!

apalazzolo
      Participant

IMO Eventide is pretty responsive to customer requests, especially when they receive the same request from many customers.  I have seen customers request a larger tuner display several times so it’s possible that ET may consider it. That said, they get a LOT of feature requests. I also agree that the larger the tuner display the better.

Regarding stability, I always tune up to a note.  Otherwise, machine heads will slip a little with play, especially with string bends.

Also, to Joe’s point about one second, I find that if I slowly/gently tune up to a zero reading while sustaining a note for more than about five seconds, I am always sharp on the next pluck of the string.  So I have to pluck a string every few seconds to tune into a zero reading that I can trust.  Works for me.

Eoin OBrien
      Participant

A larger tuner graphic would be a major plus for me. When you’re chatting to the audience and tuning, bigger and more stable and something like arrows rather than numbers is much easier to deal with.

Blackstrat83
        Participant

I second this. My last multifx before the h90 was the plethora x3 and had a HUGE tuner and more friendly display. Of course the H90 is miles away in sound quality and many other features but I sure miss having a feature like that. At the end the main points of having a multifx pedal is to save space also. To me having a tuner in my board would represent replace one of my other pedals.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.