Two H9 Maxes with a stereo effects loop

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Two H9 Maxes with a stereo effects loop

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Sgcrowley
      Participant

Hi! I just got two H9 max pedals and I’m trying to figure out the best way to run with my setup. I definitely want to run both H9 pedals. The other pedals in my setup are optional, so I don’t have to use them if I don’t need to.   My goal is to be able to use them with the stereo effects send on my amp.

My setup: Two H9 Pedals, Darkglass Hyperluminal Compressor, Big Muff Pi, Earthquaker Avalanche, and a Moog EP3 expression pedal. My Amp is an Orange Rocker 32 with a stereo effects loop.   I really like the distortion I get from the Orange.  I really would like to use both left and right channels of the effects loop. The effects loop has one send and a left and right return.

I’m so confused as how to put this together. I’m not sure if I should do the pre and post setting with one or both h9s or is there is a better way to set the whole thing up?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

I was playing a Rocker 32 for awhile using the stereo effects. It sounded awesome. For the most basic connection, all you have to do is connect the mono effects send to the first H9, then come out of that in stereo into the next H9. From the second H9’s stereo output connect it to the stereo effects return. If you want to incorporate the other pedals, they can go anywhere in the chain so long as the mono pedals go before the second H9. If you put any mono pedals in between both H9’s in the loop, you won’t get a stereo signal feeding the second H9, which is okay, unless the first H9 has time-based effects that sound bigger in stereo, like modulation or delays.

Similarly, it makes sense to use one H9 going into the amp and another in the loop to take advantage of Eventide effects anywhere in the chain. Obviously, whatever you put in the front will be mono. Again, nothing wrong with that as these usually tend to be gain-based effects like overdrive/distortion/wah etc.

If you wanted the best of both worlds, you could run H9-1 in PRE/POST mode, with your PRE signal going to the front of the amp and the POST signal connected in the loop. You would have to designate your algorithms on the first H9 to function in Pre or Post on a preset basis. For the second H9, feed the amp’s FX send to H9-2’s mono input and come out stereo back to the amp’s FX return. You can place your other pedals wherever you like, before the second H9 max. My personal preference, I’d put the Big Muff Pi and compressor going into the front of your amp. The Avalanche Run should go in the loop, most likely after the H9 since it’s mostly a reverb effect.

Sgcrowley
      Participant

Awesome! Thank you for your help Joe.  Lots of options.  I may ditch the Avalanche anyway due to my one spot cs6 power supply only having enough power to run the 2 H9s.

Thanks Again!

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Perhaps a power supply upgrade might be in order: https://www.eventideaudio.com/pedals/powermax/

The Avalanche Run is a fun unit!

Sgcrowley
      Participant

Is it ok to run the 2h9 pedals off one 9v/500ma output using a splitter cable and run the avalanche off the other 9v/500ma output?  I just got the cs6 power supply, so I don’t really have the extra income to get another power supply at the moment.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Is it ok to run the 2h9 pedals off one 9v/500ma output using a splitter cable and run the avalanche off the other 9v/500ma output?

No, because the H9’s require 500 mA at 9V each.

Sgcrowley
      Participant

Ok no worries. I’ll put each H9 on a dedicated output. Looks like the Avalanche is working fine on a 200ma output so it might be a little underpowered, but so far so good. No weird issues.

Sgcrowley
      Participant

“I was playing a Rocker 32 for awhile using the stereo effects. It sounded awesome. For the most basic connection, all you have to do is connect the mono effects send to the first H9, then come out of that in stereo into the next H9. From the second H9’s stereo output connect it to the stereo effects return. If you want to incorporate the other pedals, they can go anywhere in the chain so long as the mono pedals go before the second H9. If you put any mono pedals in between both H9’s in the loop, you won’t get a stereo signal feeding the second H9, which is okay, unless the first H9 has time-based effects that sound bigger in stereo, like modulation or delays. Similarly, it makes sense to use one H9 going into the amp and another in the loop to take advantage of Eventide effects anywhere in the chain. Obviously, whatever you put in the front will be mono. Again, nothing wrong with that as these usually tend to be gain-based effects like overdrive/distortion/wah etc. If you wanted the best of both worlds, you could run H9-1 in PRE/POST mode, with your PRE signal going to the front of the amp and the POST signal connected in the loop. You would have to designate your algorithms on the first H9 to function in Pre or Post on a preset basis. For the second H9, feed the amp’s FX send to H9-2’s mono input and come out stereo back to the amp’s FX return. You can place your other pedals wherever you like, before the second H9 max. My personal preference, I’d put the Big Muff Pi and compressor going into the front of your amp. The Avalanche Run should go in the loop, most likely after the H9 since it’s mostly a reverb effect.

So for the first part of my chain , Would I run the compressor and big muff before or after the first H9, or would it matter?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

I would run them before the H9.

Sgcrowley
      Participant

Perfect.  Will do.  I think I’m finally getting my head wrapped around all the connections.  I had to draw it out on paper for my tiny brain to understand it.  Oh, by the way I just got an email back from Truetone Support and they said I’m good to go with the power supply I have.  I have another adapter coming for the second H9 today.  I actually bought 3 H9s but one is a gift for my kiddo.

Here’s what Truetone had to say regarding the power requirements

Hey Steven, Thanks for writing in.  You can power two Eventide pedals on a single 500mA output if you need to.  You can also power an Eventide pedal on one of the 200mA outputs as well.  Because each out can provide lots more current (mA) than it says on the enclosure, there is more than enough available on the 200mA outs to power a single Eventide pedal.

To power the Eventide pedals, you’ll need to use the CL6 (green) adapter on each pedal.  The CS6 comes with one.

You can then put the Avalanche on the other 500mA output.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Be aware this person does not specific which Eventide pedal. For example, our dot9 series pedals can in fact be powered with 200 mA. He’s also right, two can be powered from one 500 mA outlet. But H9 Max requires 500 mA. Do not under power that pedal. Doing so can lead to malfunction not covered under warranty.

Sgcrowley
      Participant

Sounds good. I’ll put them on their own 500ma connections.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.