Two h9’s connection options

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Two h9’s connection options

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Send2george2

I’ve been using my first h9 for a couple of years now and I’m delighted with the options it gives me. I like it enough at least to have just ordered a second h9 for my board.

I control the h9 using my boss Es-8 which I use basically to call up presets I’ve stored in positions 1-99.

First question I have is am I just daisy chaining the second h9 into the midi circuit? In which case I’m going to need a midi cable.

Also how are you guys connecting the inputs and outputs?

I do use a second amp (a fender Princeton 68) from the L output of my es8.

To be honest I’m not overly technical and did get myself in a bit of a muddle previously trying to use the 2 inputs and 2 outputs on my h9 and setting up pre and post etc.

Kind of want to keep it simple but what would the benefits of a stereo set up be?

Going to need a couple of patch leads too I reckon.

Any advice would be most gratefully received but if anyone has connection diagrams so much the better.

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Send2george2 wrote:

First question I have is am I just daisy chaining the second h9 into the midi circuit?

Also how are you guys connecting the inputs and outputs? I do use a second amp (a fender Princeton 68) from the L output of my es8. To be honest I’m not overly technical and did get myself in a bit of a muddle previously trying to use the 2 inputs and 2 outputs on my h9 and setting up pre and post etc. Kind of want to keep it simple but what would the benefits of a stereo set up be? 

1. Yes. You would want to set the MIDI output mode of the first H9 to thru. And set the MIDI Channel of the first H9 to 1 and second H9 to 2. So you can control two H9 independently with ES-8.

2. If you need stereo effect, then 2 amps are definitely better (For example, if you want different delay time or different pitches on two amps). The simplest way to do it is putting the first H9 to Send/Return 7 and the second H9 to Send/Return 8, and connect ES-8's LR outputs to two amps. By doing so you can use 2 H9s stereo effects. PRE/POST mode would sacrifice H9's stereo effect. So if you use PRE/POST mode on an H9, this H9 can only make mono effects.

Send2george2

Many Thanks. Yes I’ll put my new core into 7 I think and take the two stereo outputs back to the Es-8.

Haven’t given much thought to the role of my second H9 yet.

I don’t use pre / post at all it did mess with my stereo sound.

Going to have a major housekeeping on my algorithms numbering and my patches on my end-8 I think. It’s all further (and deliciously) complicated by being able to call up the amp settings on my Hughes and Kettner gm40d.

That said being in a “covers” band and writing my own songs and riffs the flexibility it gives will be sublime.

davebrubaker
      Participant

Depending on how many pedals you have on your board you may want to consider putting one of your H9s after the ES-8 while still contolling preset changes via midi (with the ES-8.) This will free up an ES-8 loop.  Just  a thought.

Send2george2

Actually that’s a great suggestion but for me I’m downsizing my pedals slightly because I’m running a h&k grandmeister 40 deluxe and can call up lots of different gain effects by midi. In short position 7 on my Es-8 can be freed up. Thanks though for the suggestion.

Personally I’d never run a pedal like the H9 in a loop unless I wanted to run it in mono. With the latest firmware the ES-8 can do separate effects on the L&R so you can run different pedal paths to  L&R as well as sharing some, so if you want to say, use the H9 on a patch only the R or L, it makes sense to put it on a loop. I connect my H9 to the outputs of my es-8 and when I dont want it on I send the PC for bypass. I guess the only downside is it always has to be last in the ‘loop structure’ but so far that’s made more sense for what I’m using it for (heavy on delays and reverbs). 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.