two H9s not sync together

Home Forums Products Stompboxes two H9s not sync together

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      st.bede
      Participant

i am using an aux swith to tap in a tempo to my first H9. The first Hp sends the tempo out an the second H9 reads the tempo. The problem is that they have the same tempo but are not in sync with each other. 

camn
      Participant

What is your setup, specifically?
      How are they attached… Are there other devices… Etc?

st.bede
      Participant

Thank you for your reply. I am using an aux switch (digitech FS#X) to tap tempo into my first H9, that H9 runs midi clock out into my second H9> My second H9 sees the tempo and adjust coreectly but is out of sync. In other words both are at 120 bpm but they are off beat to each other.

st.bede
      Participant

the temp is runing out through midi into the sencond H9,

camn
      Participant

Well, that setup ~should ~ work right.

Have you tried the MIDI stabilisation setting on the receiving H9?
      If that doesn’t work…. Possible workaround– split the signal from your tap tempo out to both?

Do the actual lights alternate… Or are they in sync and the just the SOUND sounds wrong?

st.bede
      Participant

thank you very much again. Itryed to filter the midi clock but it did not really do anything. the lights blink at different times but at least they are consistant at thier bpm. they are just off from each other. I have been thinking about the cable idea. again thank you

mistercharlie
        Participant
        st.bede wrote:

thank you very much again. Itryed to filter the midi clock but it did not really do anything. the lights blink at different times but at least they are consistant at thier bpm. they are just off from each other. I have been thinking about the cable idea. again thank you

The lights will probably never blink in time. They show the tempo, which isn’t necessarily synced with the pulses of the midi clock .

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

MIDI clock does not have an "on the beat" signal. It is just a sequence of pulses that indicate the tempo.

In some cases you can use a MIDI start signal to indicate the beat, but in many cases all you can hope is that the tempos remain the same.

O2LAMJU
      Participant

Hi !

i’m about the midi clock tempo sync thing and i wonder how to set up things to work with 2 H9 a tap tempo switch and an evenmidi controller.

i’ve set H9-1 to receive tap tempo from aux switch (the tap tempo on the H9’s right switch is not really usable in live cause you have to long press before tapping tempo and there is no option to choose H9’s switch functions behaviour…. it would be fantastic to have this possibility : set this switch as tap tempo all the time or hotswitch/repeat/freeze etc… ergonomy for live would be so much better) and send it out as midi clock. i’ve set h9-2 to receive tempo. global tempo is ON.

now if i want to use let’s say… a synthonizer (a “no tempo” effect) before a delay (tempo effect), i can’t specify the tempo of the midi-controlled effect chain with H9-1 tap tempo. the H9-1 doesn’t accept to receive tempo, nor to send it through midi (even if it is set up to in midi option).

what can i do to have this midi-chained FX to be synced by one tap tempo switch, still being able to use sculpt, synthonizer etc, regardless of the algo in fact ?

Thank you

bohan
        Eventide Staff
        O2LAMJU wrote:

what can I do to have this midi-chained FX to be synced by one tap tempo switch, still being able to use sculpt, synthonizer etc, regardless of the algo in fact?

Hi, have you tried tapping tempo while using these algorithms? You can still tap the tempo on the first H9 (no matter on the right footswitch or aux switch) and send the clock to the second H9, even though the currently loaded algorithm (Sculpt or Synthonizer) on the first H9 doesn't support TEMPO. 

O2LAMJU
        Participant
        bohan wrote:

O2LAMJU wrote:

what can I do to have this midi-chained FX to be synced by one tap tempo switch, still being able to use sculpt, synthonizer etc, regardless of the algo in fact?

Hi, have you tried tapping tempo while using these algorithms? You can still tap the tempo on the first H9 (no matter on the right footswitch or aux switch) and send the clock to the second H9, even though the currently loaded algorithm (Sculpt or Synthonizer) on the first H9 doesn’t support TEMPO. 

sorry i probably missed something cause i never could do that. ok, Synthonizer HAS tempo, so it works (i just tested now). but with a “Scupt” Algo on my first H9 i just tried (with right footswitch) and it didn’t work. When i long-click on the Right FS it just marks “unused” and if i then start tapping tempo nothing is received on second H9, nothing changes…

what did i missed ?

Thx 🙂

bohan
        Eventide Staff
        O2LAMJU wrote:

sorry, I probably missed something cause I never could do that. ok, Synthonizer HAS tempo, so it works (i just tested now). but with a "Sculpt" Algo on my first H9, I just tried (with right footswitch) and it didn't work. When I long-click on the Right FS it just marks "unused" and if I then start tapping tempo nothing is received on the second H9, nothing changes…

what did I miss?

Hi, When I tap the right footswitch on my first H9 it marks "UNUSED" too, but the second H9 gets the clock and syncs with the tempo (showing ***BPM). Can you test again and pay attention to the slave H9?

O2LAMJU
      Participant

your words sounds like light at the end of a tunnel 😉 but when i said “nothing is received on second H9, nothing changes…” i meaned (sorry i’m french) what i wrote. it displays “unused” on H9 -1 while i tap tempo on its switch and nothing but my preset number.name still displayed on H9-2. i just redid the same manip and… no tempo changes on H9-2.

ok i think i got it. my preset on H9-2 was a tempo “off” preset (values in ms and and not notes like 1/4 1/8t etc…)

there are two modes that behave differently regarding “chained midi synchro” : tempo “on” and tempo “off”

when a delay (eg.) is “tempo on” on my H9-2 i can sync/slave it to the H9-1 tap tempo (midi clock) normally.

when a delay is “tempo off” (ms) it does not sync to the midi clock and i can tap its delay value (displayed in ms) with tap switch. ok it’s totally good and sane for complex presets’ setting.

and 3 switch’s led state :

1 led off : if you short click you go next preset

if you long click on switch :

2 led winking : tempo on

3 led on : tempo off

thank you and sorry for the blablabla 😉

bohan
        Eventide Staff
        O2LAMJU wrote:

ok i think i got it. my preset on H9-2 was a tempo "off" preset (values in ms and and not notes like 1/4 1/8t etc…)

there are two modes that behave differently regarding "chained midi synchro" : tempo "on" and tempo "off"

when a delay (eg.) is "tempo on" on my H9-2 i can sync/slave it to the H9-1 tap tempo (midi clock) normally.

when a delay is "tempo off" (ms) it does not sync to the midi clock and i can tap its delay value (displayed in ms) with tap switch. ok it's totally good and sane for complex presets' setting.

thank you and sorry for the blablabla 😉

You're welcome. I'm happy that you figured it out. Yes, the preset needs to be in TEMPO mode to accept MIDI Clock.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.