Ultratap MIDI control

Home Forums Products Plug-Ins Ultratap MIDI control

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      jbraner
      Participant

Hi,

I see in the video that you can control the ribbon via MIDI with a modwheel.

It also looks like he’s controlling the Hotswitch via MIDI. Is this possible? If so, what is the MIDI CC#?

Anything else controlled via MIDI?

This should be in the manual 😉

rgds,

John B

tlongabaugh
      Eventide Staff

Hi-

The Ribbon is controllable via the Mod Wheel. The Tap Tempo switch is controllable via any Note On message. The Hotswitch is not mappable, but we could make it so in an updated release. I believe in the video you are referring to, it's being controlled via an Ableton Push, which maps all parameters of the plug-in regardless of MIDI control or not.

-Tom

jbraner
      Participant

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. I use SONAR, and I can certainly map an envelope to Hotfix (and all the other parameters).

So, how does Ableton Live map to everything when they’re not MIDI mapable? (new word I made up)

Anyway – it would be an idea for an update to map this to something, or better yet – make it so we can map to whatever we want 😉

rgds,

John B

tlongabaugh
        Eventide Staff

Hey John-

Ableton has a fairly elegant MIDI-mapping system, where you can map pretty much any knob or button on a MIDI controller to any parameter. I believe the Push mapping is done simply through Ableton Live automatically populating the exposed plug-in parameters to the Push.

But yes, we will try to get this done for a future update.

-Tom

jbraner
      Participant

Hi Tom,

I’m getting confused. Any DAW can do this if you publish what MIDI CC# the parameter responds to. Of course some plugins have “MIDI Learn” and let you map any MIDI CC# to any parameter – but let’s just talk about parameters responding to fixed CC#’s.

Isn’t it just a case of you telling us which MIDI CC# the hot switch responds to? How would Ableton know?

jbraner
      Participant

Sorry – I just figured out what you mean. You’re saying Ableton can map MIDI directly to the exposed parameter (as opposed to th eplugin accepting MIDI CC# directly).

I think we can do this in SONAR too – they use a protocol called ACT.

http://blog.cakewalk.com/act-with-hardware/

I’ll play around with this…

rgds,

John B

tlongabaugh
        Eventide Staff
        jbraner wrote:

Sorry – I just figured out what you mean. You're saying Ableton can map MIDI directly to the exposed parameter (as opposed to th eplugin accepting MIDI CC# directly).

I think we can do this in SONAR too – they use a protocol called ACT.

http://blog.cakewalk.com/act-with-hardware/

I'll play around with this…

rgds,

John B

Hey John-

Yes, that's correct. Ableton is performing the mapping there, not the plug-in.

I didn't know SONAR had that feature as well, I'll have to check that out.

-Tom

jbraner
      Participant

Yeah – you just make a ACT template. I’ll try it over the weekend.

jbraner
        Participant
        jbraner wrote:
        Yeah – you just make a ACT template. I’ll try it over the weekend.

I just tried this – it works, but it’s too complicated. Plus, I don’t want to use this mapping for *everything* – just the Ultratap track(s)

I’ll stick with using SONAR envelopes for anything other than the ribbon.

tlongabaugh
        Eventide Staff

I've done some work, so the midi control is now:

Ribbon – MIDI CC 1 (mod wheel), follows values. This is current behavior.

Active – MIDI CC 2, latches when goes high

Hotswitch – MIDI CC 3, latches when goes high

Tap – MIDI CC 4, momentary when goes high

Does that sound ok?

jbraner
      Participant

Sounds good.
      I’m not sure why you’d need a MIDI implementation for “tap” – but there enough more the merrier 😉
      The Hotswitch is the main one though…

tlongabaugh
      Eventide Staff

Hey, the three Footswitches are now all MIDI controllable – see the update (https://www.eventideaudio.com/support/product/10419/installers) and the manual for updated instructions.

jbraner
      Participant

Nice one! Thanks 😉

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.