Ummmm, what happened to the look of the forum?!?!?!?

Home Forums Administrivia Website Discussion Ummmm, what happened to the look of the forum?!?!?!?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      joeydego
      Participant

Seems like a big change. Everyone’s avatars look like space invaders 1985 video graphics!

kborst
      Keymaster
      Eventide Staff

We launched a new website last week, along with a new forum platform which uses gravatars as default profile pictures. There are a few options as to what people’s default gravatars could look like, and we decided that the “retro” style which uses a hash of a user’s email to create a picture unique to them would be more interesting than just a default grey user profile. Of course if a user already has their own gravatar set up it will use that instead, or if you just wanted to change your picture for this site only you have that option as well on your /my-account page.

Bodde
      Participant

I have to say I don’t like the new forum style at all. Since the change I don’t come here much anymore which is a pity because I liked it before. One thing I do like is that your posts don’t have to be approved anymore and that you can edit your post now. It was like that before but I haven’t found any other forum that does it that way. So that is a big plus

BUT The new forum is not very clear and user friendly for me. One thing is that the topic titles are displayed too big and use too much space. So less topics are displayed in one view. Also the fonts and layout doesn’t look very appealing.

I am sorry to say this because I was a regular and love Eventide products. But I really hope the forum gets improved.

brysava
      Participant

I’m not using it nearly as much either–it has kind of lost some good aspects of the old one.

kborst
      Keymaster
      Eventide Staff

Thanks for your feedback!

bsfreq
      Participant

I agree. Old forum wasn’t perfect either, but this new one is horrible to read and find information from. (the main reasons to have a user forum in the first place)

Forum update also broke all the old forum links, “quotes” are now merged in the text without any visible indicator etc..

Also, I haven’t been able to post anything on this forum after the update. I’ve tried to create one new topic and reply to a few threads, but none of my posts have shown up.. In case you’re wondering why the forum is so silent now, this might be one of the reasons. Let’s see if even this post will go through.

There are perfectly good, free forum platforms available there, like phpBB, punBB, etc.. Perhaps it would be wise to move to one of those?

Hopefully this will be sorted out.

All the best

brysava
      Participant

I agree. I don’t use it much anymore, as a result.

kborst
      Keymaster
      Eventide Staff

Given our particular use case a self-hosted solution was not an option at this point, people would have to create entirely new accounts just for use on the forum website, which would have garnered its own set of problems and confusions. We also didn’t want to lose any content from the old forum so that people would be able to view older discussions, so a forum platform with an importer that was compatible with our old platform was necessary as well. That left us with few viable options. It is unfortunate that the legacy quoting hasn’t formatted correctly and there are some broken links, but overall the transition went smoothly and no posts or accounts were lost in transition, and as time allows we are continually working to improve the look and feel based on user feedback.

brock
      Participant

… Forum update also broke all the old forum links, “quotes” are now merged in the text without any visible indicator etc.. Also, I haven’t been able to post anything on this forum after the update. I’ve tried to create one new topic and reply to a few threads, but none of my posts have shown up.. In case you’re wondering why the forum is so silent now, this might be one of the reasons. Let’s see if even this post will go through …

Same here.  I thought it might be a fluke when a couple replies didn’t post.  This past Saturday afternoon, I started a new topic [XFADE Away – 24 Preset List].  It showed up as the Last Post for about 24 hours, and then *POOF* – vanished.  Help?  Can’t even give things away here now.

And yes, the internal & external links to this forum are largely broken.  (…/topic/… added to the subfolder tree).  The search function went from completely useless to incremental improvements over the past 3-4 months.  Listen, I understand some growing pains.  It just seemed like odd timing to roll out the new dot9 series at the same time as a major forum change.

On a lighter note, I’m hopeful that the Preset Sharing section went offline to accommodate Rose and the newer pedal formats in the future.

kborst
      Keymaster
      Eventide Staff

Same here. I thought it might be a fluke when a couple replies didn’t post. This past Saturday afternoon, I started a new topic [XFADE Away – 24 Preset List]. It showed up as the Last Post for about 24 hours, and then *POOF* – vanished. Help?

Thanks for reporting this, seems our spam filter has been a bit too aggressive. I manually approved your post and adjusted some settings to see that it doesn’t happen again.

brock
      Participant

Thank you for that rapid resolution, kborst.  My apologies; it looks like I let some frustration show.

It’s a good collection of forums.  More civil than most almost every one out there.  TS questions get a response very quickly; often accompanied by a pertinent video.  Plus follow-ups.  There are many peer-to-peer exchanges of ideas & techniques here.  In the early years, there’s an encyclopedia of details, straight from the Eventide engineers & founders directly involved.  Everything Eventide.

But you’ve got to be able to find that, and/or respond in kind.  I know the staff is working on it.  Coupled with small shop, priorities, launch before the  holidays, supply chain issues, dot9 barrage, video production ramp-up, the Big “C”, …

But I felt like I should point some (perhaps obvious) glitches out.  Thanks again for addressing this one.

kborst
      Keymaster
      Eventide Staff

Yes we are constantly working to improve the site in between all of the other priorities you mentioned and more.
      We appreciate when users report specific problems they’re having, regardless of how obvious they may appear — that’s what this forum is really for. Those reports are more actionable and will ensure a swifter response. Don’t hesitate to post here if you come across any other issues

Bodde
      Participant

One more bug (?). When you get an email notification from a topic it looks all scrambled up and there is no link in there.

kborst
      Keymaster
      Eventide Staff

Can you post a screenshot with personal info (if any) redacted? My notifications are coming in fine.

Bodde
      Participant

Here it is:

Schermafbeelding 2022-01-25 om 18.15.13

brock
      Participant

Same here. I thought it might be a fluke when a couple replies didn’t post. This past Saturday afternoon, I started a new topic [XFADE Away – 24 Preset List]. It showed up as the Last Post for about 24 hours, and then *POOF* – vanished. Help?

Thanks for reporting this, seems our spam filter has been a bit too aggressive. I manually approved your post and adjusted some settings to see that it doesn’t happen again.

Would you mind checking to see if I triggered something here again?  I actually tacked on to the same thread mentioned above; adding an UltraTap Preset List to it.

If there’s something specific I am doing that the spam filter doesn’t like, please let me know what that is.  Thanks again.

kborst
        Keymaster
        Eventide Staff

Hi Brock, I approved your last post. The filter holds comments for manual approval that have too many links, I think the preset and the screenshots set it off this time. Also not sure if you were aware but our preset sharing section is back online – https://eventideaudio.com/presets
        Thanks for continuing to contribute!

brock
      Participant

Thank you.  I hadn’t thought of it like a spammer, but too-many-links makes perfect sense for the filter.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.