Unable to Edit Blackhole during Playback

Home Forums Products Plug-Ins Unable to Edit Blackhole during Playback

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Noiland

Hi everybody, 

i just purchased Blackhole and running it on a mac with ableton. Everything went fine with registration and insallation.

I can load it into a track,change Presets and mess with the knobs, but once i press play the whole interface freezes and i cant move any parametrs untill i stop playback and the sound vanishes completely. Than everything is tweeckable again. Fustrating.

Anythought what might be the problam? 

Iam on a Mac mini mid 2012 i7 Quad , 16 GB Ram, OS 10.11.6 

Ableton 9.7

Thanx in advance

Kevin

tlongabaugh
      Eventide Staff

Hi-

First off, is this the VST, or AU?

When you start playback, does the Ableton GUI seem to be responding sluggishly (i.e. are meters slow to respond)? Also, if you automate Blackhole parameters, do they audibly update during playback?

When you say that the sound vanishes completely after stopping playback, do you mean that the reverb tail suddenly stops?

-Tom

Noiland

HI Tom, thanx for the Response. 

Iam with AU here. During Playback Ableton is working fine, when trying to automate  some parameters, yes, Blackholes GUI update it self very slowly.  

“When you say that the sound vanishes completely after stopping playback, do you mean that the reverb tail suddenly stops?”

I meant that the whole GUI of the Blackhole Freezes during Playback, and Unfreezes only when i stop Playback and the Reverb Tail is completly gone. 

I must mention that today for example i opened the BlackHole again and everything seemed to work fine. Weird, i didnt re-install or do anything different. 

Iam happy now, but what could it be if it happens again? 

I will try on the up coming days to mess aruond with it and i will let you know how it goes.

Thanx again

Kevin 

tlongabaugh
        Eventide Staff

Hi-

Ok, interesting to hear that it is working fine now.

We've had issues with GUI sluggishness and freezes on El Capitan in the past, which we have done our best to work around. The problem is, in any DAW the audio rendering process is always guaranteed to be run, but the process controlling GUI updates is given a much lower priority. El Capitan introduced tighter constraints (at an OS level) to the process running the updates, so if your CPU is very busy, the OS will start dropping GUI updates. As I've said, we've done a number of things to mitigate this, but there's no real "fix". My guess is that previously your CPU was under a heavier load (either form a large session, or other applications running simultaneously), and most recently it wasn't. Let us know if the issue persists.

Also as a warning, I would recommend using the VST version of Blackhole in Live. There's an annoying bug in Live where when duplicating clips on a track with Blackhole AU, the Input/Output sliders will snap to -60. We've talked to Ableton about this as the issue seems to be coming from their side, but the easy workaround is to use VST – it doesn't have the problem.

Best,

Tom

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.