understanding the how the effects works

Home Forums Products Stompboxes understanding the how the effects works

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      mattebass

Hi to everyone,

I'm a pitchfactor owner,

and I'm really interested to understand how the various effects works on the signal and how the waveform changes after the effect application.

It' s quite a scientific question, but I suppose that sound engineers would be able to suggest me something about the physical process of the pitchfactor. (Even not specific for this device,something,like a book or papers,about the various effect present in the pitch factor)

Thanks

Matteo Lorito

Are you sure you know what you're getting yourself into here? Geeked

To really understand what's going on, you'll probably need the equivalent of a bachelors degree in electrical engineering with an emphasis in digital signal processing. (Do you know the difference between "time domain" and "frequency domain"?) If that doesn't scare you off, I can suggest a couple books to get you started. My favorite introduction to DSP is:

Understanding Digital Signal Processing

by Richard Lyons

I also like:

Introduction to Signal Processing

by Sophocles Orfanidis

Chapter eight of the Orfanidis book goes into audio applications such as signal generation, effects like flanging, chorusing, echo, delay, compression, limiting, and some filtering to clean up signals.

As for what actually goes on in an Eventide box, I'm sure that's a company secret, one they don't want their competitors to figure out!

mattebass

Really Thanks, yes

I'm sure, I've a master degree in chemistry,And I've studied a lot of math and physic, but I don't know 

anything about electronic.I suppose I can try to get something out by myself.

Thanks 

Matteo

mattebass

Hi, 

another question,if is possible,there aren't some books more oriented on the physic of sound than on the electronic?

thanks

Matteo

Here is one way to do things:

1. Analog signal goes in…
      2. And is converted to digital…
      3. Fourier transform converts time-based samples to frequency domain…
      4. Some changes are made to frequencies…
      5. Inverse Fourier transform converts back to time domain…
      6. Digital is converted to analog output…

Some things can be done in the time domain without having to do the Fourier transforms…

There are many books.  Try Helmholtz, On the Sensations of Tone

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.