Unity gain through Mixing Link

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Unity gain through Mixing Link

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      StewDay

Hi all,

New to the forums and a new user of the Mixing Link. 

Just wondering where people run the INPUT GAIN, GAIN BUTTON & AMP LEVEL settings to get the same apparent loudness as running direct into the amp?

I currently have the GAIN BUTTON on HI and both INPUT GAIN & AMP LEVEL at about 1 o’clock. It still sounds a little less than direct but I’m worried that the PEAK LED is already lighting up too much.

Thanks!

Stew

JWaltz
      Participant
      StewDay wrote:

Hi all,

New to the forums and a new user of the Mixing Link. 

Just wondering where people run the INPUT GAIN, GAIN BUTTON & AMP LEVEL settings to get the same apparent loudness as running direct into the amp?

I currently have the GAIN BUTTON on HI and both INPUT GAIN & AMP LEVEL at about 1 o'clock. It still sounds a little less than direct but I'm worried that the PEAK LED is already lighting up too much.

Thanks!

Stew

Hi Stew,

Can you tell us a little more about your set-up. What mic are you using? Normally hi-gain is only necessary for ribbon mics.
      Also how are you using the MIX knob/switch? This control can also affect unity level through the box.

thanks,
      joe waltz

StewDay

Hi Joe,

This is before running it with a mic plugged in. Just trying to have my amp sound the same.

I’ll be using it in a home studio setup so won’t necessarily have a mic connected all the time – will sometimes be using the line input. One of the things I’m looking at doing is to route guitar through my DAW while also going direct to the amp. Because there are a bunch of different setups I want to try I’m trying to do things step by step and make sure I’m getting all my levels right.

So for starters it’s just about getting the right gain settings for the guitar throught the Mixing Link and direct into the amp.

JWaltz
      Participant

Hi Stew,

Not sure what your input is? or what is in the FX loop. Typically there is  plenty of gain with the LO gain setting, and HI gain setting is used for Piezo pickups or Ribbon mics.

Even when the red headroom comes on it mostly signaling that soft-clipping ckt has been engaged with a couple dB of headroom left before you hear a distorted signal.

A simple test for unity gain between FX Loop active vs FX Loop not active is to just use a patch cable between the To FX and From FX jacks. Currently what are you using in the FX loop that you don't quite see unity gain. Also the tail/no-tails setting may have small effect on gain as it is muting the dry signal.

Also, please email me a diagram of your setup and I will follow up in more detail.

thanks,

jwaltz@eventide.com

StewDay

Hi Joe,

Current setup is just the guitar in via INST IN to my amp via TO AMP. Nothing in the FX LOOP.

I know what it sounds like going straight from the guitar to the amp and how much drive it has at a particular gain setting on the amp. When I go through the Mixing Link I’m just not sure how to have it sound the same as direct. I posted my settings in the first post and as I said the gain is close but still less than going direct. And I don’t want the signal soft clipped before it hits the amp. It’s a valve amp so touch responsiveness is a really important part of the sound.

I’m just trying to get a baseline with the most simple setup before I start introducing microphones, effects or di/line send/return to my DAW.

I hope I’ve explained myself better.

Thanks!

mistercharlie
      Participant

I would like to know this too. I have my guitar plugged into the INST IN input, and a cable running from TO AMP into my amp. Nothing else.

How do I set the PHONES & AMP LEVEL so that my signal is identical, level-wise, to a cable straight from guitar to amp? That is, how do I set unity gain in this case?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.