Update changed Vintage Delay

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Update changed Vintage Delay

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      TaeSahn
      Participant

Has anyone else noticed that the update changed the Vintage Delay algorithms?  My presets that have low 'bit' range … lo fi and 'Rotten' delay presets … have become inaudible since the update.

gkellum
      Participant

Hm… We'll look into this on Monday and see if we can reproduce this. Thanks for the feedback.

TaeSahn
      Participant

It also seems to have changed the Tape Echo as well.  I think I will re install the update … see what happens.

gkellum
      Participant

I loaded the last H9 release onto one H9 and the new H9 release onto another H9 and tried the Vintage Delay presets "Rotten Old Delay" and "Lo-Rez Trail" on both. And those presets sounded the same on both the old and new H9 software release. 

One of my colleagues mentioned that the bit parameter in Vintage Delay is very sensitive to the level of your guitar, and it will sound different if you feed it with a softer signal as opposed to a louder signal, because that control is dropping bits off of the representation of the signal value. If you feed it a louder signal, you'll hear the effect more clearly because there will be more bits in the signal value for it to work on. So, please check and make sure that you're signal levels haven't dropped…

If you're sure that the change you're hearing isn't due to the signal levels though, could you recommend a preset for us to listen to for this?

TaeSahn
      Participant

Well … several things …

I removed the H9 from the effects loop and back in front of the amp and it was apparent that was brought the issue to my attention.  Cool …  but I have a few observations:  The effects loop was running much hotter than my instrument signal.  When I raised the input level of the H9 to try to match the amp's hotter loop level … the effects fade. (And they become louder and more resonant starting about 10 Db below peak inputs.)  Leads me to believe that my amp loop line level does not agree with these algorithms in particular.  Check it out and see if you find the same.  Thanks.

gkellum
      Participant

What kind of amp are you using? There was a series of posts on thegearpage about using an H9 is the effects loop of an amp.  With some amps, you can adjust your amp's level settings to get around effect loop problems without losing overall gain:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1420845&page=3

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.