USB Midi and Midi Din Cable In At The Same Time?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes USB Midi and Midi Din Cable In At The Same Time?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      davec69
      Participant

Am I missing something?  Is it possible to keep my H9 connected to my PC via the USB cable, and change patches via the Midi In jack?

Currently, I have my H9Max connected to my PC via USB, and it works fine.  I also have the H9 connected to my Kemper Profiler via it's midi out jack, to the H9 midi in jack for patch changes.

When the USB cable is connected, the Kemper patch changes are ignored.   If I unplug the USB cable, then the Kemper patch changes are recognized again.

What I'd like to be able to do is program my H9 via USB to the PC app, while at the same time, be able to send patch changes to the H9 from my Kemper.  This scenario is only to facilitate faster programming of the two.  The Kemper has no problem sending the patch changes if the USB cable is unplugged.

gkellum
      Participant

davec69:

Am I missing something?  Is it possible to keep my H9 connected to my PC via the USB cable, and change patches via the Midi In jack?

The MIDI in jack and the USB port both connect to the same underlying thing, and you can't use both at the same time.  Other users who've run into this problem have gotten around it by connecting H9 Control to the H9 via Bluetooth.  If you're interested in that option, there's an FAQ item discussing which Bluetooth dongles have been known to work on Windows with the H9:

https://www.eventide.com/AudioDivision/Products/StompBoxes/H9_FAQ1.aspx#H9c3a

davec69
      Participant

Hi, thanks for your response.  That's too bad,  it would be great to be able to use both.

My laptop does have bluetooth, and I've even gotten it to recognize my H9, but I have yet to get the H9 app to link to my H9 via bluetooth.  it just keeps saying that it can't find my H9, but it is there in my list of bluetooth devices for windows 8.

LA Keys
      Participant

With many bluetooth dongles the H9 need to be very close. I got it working by plugging the bluetooth dongle into an USB extension, keeping the dongle 2 to 3 feet from the H9.

LA 

davec69
      Participant

I tried it again last night.  I was able to connect to the H9 via my Ipad, no problem.  

I actually saw a message pop up in the Windows app last night which stated that the desktop app could only connect via the USB cable.  Has this changed?  Maybe I have an old version of the app?

gkellum
      Participant

davec69:

I tried it again last night.  I was able to connect to the H9 via my Ipad, no problem.  

I actually saw a message pop up in the Windows app last night which stated that the desktop app could only connect via the USB cable.  Has this changed?  Maybe I have an old version of the app?

Nothings changed.  Either it's an old version of the app or you just saw an out dated message that we forgot to update.  If you see it again, let us know where it is and we'll check if that's still in the latest code base.

davec69
      Participant

When I start H9 Control Desktop version on my Win 8.1 laptop,  a message pops up and say's device not found.  (when the USB cable is not connected).  If i click "Show help on connecting", i get the message.

I re-read the message, it just say's that you can connect to H9 control using a USB cable.  Nothing about bluetooth.

When I check Devices and Printers, my H9 is in the section marked "Unspecified"

I have a Toshiba bluetooth program running in the sytem tray, and when I open it, I see my H9-09763, and it say's it is connected.

gkellum
      Participant

davec69:

I have a Toshiba bluetooth program running in the system tray, and when I open it, I see my H9-09763, and it say's it is connected.

Do you remember going through the pairing process and typing in your H9s pin?  If you didn't type in its PIN, I don't know in what sense it could be connected.  If I were you I'd try right clicking on it to disconnect it and then go through the add new device dialog to add it again.  But I can't guarantee that will help having never experienced this problem first hand.

davec69
      Participant

Got it working now.  There were several issues:

1.  Toshiba installed a new Bluetooth update, which seemed to override the Windows drivers.  Uninstalled the Toshiba bluetooth drivers and went back to the windows 8.1 default driver.

2.  Downloaded and installed the latest Intel bluetooth drivers and software package for my laptops motherboard.

3.  I did have version 2.1.0 of the H9 windows software installed.  Found v 2.1.1 on the Eventide website.  Uninstalled the old version, and installed the new version of H9 Control.

4.  Reset H9 control settings back to default after install.

5.  Unpaired the H9 from windows in the Change PC Settings/ PC and Devices/Bluetooth page of Windws 8.1, then Re-paired and put in the last 4 digits of the H9 serial number.

All is working now. Thanks for your help. 

gkellum
      Participant

Great! Glad to hear that you got things sorted out.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.