Use external MIDI device to scroll through H9 presets and auto-load?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Use external MIDI device to scroll through H9 presets and auto-load?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      wilkinsi
      Participant

I have a Line 6 Helix, which I use as a MIDI controller for switching presets on my external pedals. Which CC numbers do I need to switch up and down presets on the H9? I want the H9 to auto-load the preset when I scroll to it rather than blink and wait for me to press the active footswitch. Is this possible?

camn
      Participant

yes of course. 

You decide which CC you want. You set it up in the H9 control

You can also use PC to call certain presets directly. Also setup in H9 control.

The helix should do all that easily… be warned though.. there have been some troubles using the helix for the ‘performance switch’. Use an aux switch for that of you can/care/want

wilkinsi
        Participant
        camn wrote:

yes of course. 

You decide which CC you want. You set it up in the H9 control

You can also use PC to call certain presets directly. Also setup in H9 control.

The helix should do all that easily… be warned though.. there have been some troubles using the helix for the ‘performance switch’. Use an aux switch for that of you can/care/want

Please can you give me a working example? I assume you mean the MIDI side of Helix is bugged and that I’m better off using the AUX jack instead?

gkellum
        Participant
        wilkinsi wrote:

Please can you give me a working example? I assume you mean the MIDI side of Helix is bugged and that I'm better off using the AUX jack instead?

In H9 Control click on the Pedal button in the bottom menubar, go to MIDI Settings, and then go to 'Assign MIDI CC Messages to pedal functions'.  You'll want to assign the pedal functions 'Increment and load preset' and 'Decrement and load preset' to whatever MIDI CC messages the Helix is sending out.

wilkinsi
      Participant

Thanks. I will try this ASAP.

wilkinsi
      Participant

Great, it works…. only if I disconnect USB. Page 27 of the users manual states MIDI is ignored when USB is connected. I can’t get connected via Bluetooth. What we need is an update that allows the MIDI I.O to work even when USB is connected. I want to have my cake and eat it!

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        wilkinsi wrote:

Great, it works…. only if I disconnect USB. Page 27 of the users manual states MIDI is ignored when USB is connected. I can't get connected via Bluetooth. What we need is an update that allows the MIDI I.O to work even when USB is connected. I want to have my cake and eat it!

We all want more cake, but in this case it is not possible. When the product was designed, we gave it the usb for updating only. It is the purest coincidence that it is MIDI, rather than some proprietary format.

glorioso
        wilkinsi wrote:

Great, it works…. only if I disconnect USB. Page 27 of the users manual states MIDI is ignored when USB is connected. I can’t get connected via Bluetooth. What we need is an update that allows the MIDI I.O to work even when USB is connected. I want to have my cake and eat it!

New to this here. What did you set the increment and decrement to? I keep watching that video and the guy never tells you where in the H9 Control you set up the Mix, he just says he does it. I want to control the H9 with the expression pedal via Helix and assign H9 presets to Helix presets. Still can’t find clear instructions to do so.

glorioso
        wilkinsi wrote:

What should these settings be?

wilkinsi
      Participant

I got the Bluetooth to work. I made the mistake of using the Macbook’s system preferences instead of just opening the H9 Control app, choosing manually connect and double clicking the H9. Now I have everything working – Bluetooth and MIDI. Hell, my Macbook even says my mobile phone isn’t connected, yet it will send a file and the phone will receive it. So, why is my Macbook contradicting itself?

wilkinsi
      Participant

Hey, where’s my cake?!

wilkinsi
      Participant

Never mind, my local music store celebrated its 1 year anniversary today and…. I got a free cake!

wilkinsi
      Participant

I already came up with a workaround, but forgot to report back. In H9 Control, use the “Connect MIDI Device to Eventide Stompbox” to choose Helix as the MIDI source. Unfrtunately, this only works for one H9 at a time. If I connect two H9’s via USB and use the above setting, any MIDI commands sent by Helix are ignored by both H9’s.

So for now, I use Bluetooth for one H9 and USB for the other. If I want to add a third H9, I won’t be able to use MIDI whilst connected with H9 Control.

glorioso
        wilkinsi wrote:

I already came up with a workaround, but forgot to report back. In H9 Control, use the “Connect MIDI Device to Eventide Stompbox” to choose Helix as the MIDI source. Unfrtunately, this only works for one H9 at a time. If I connect two H9’s via USB and use the above setting, any MIDI commands sent by Helix are ignored by both H9’s.

So for now, I use Bluetooth for one H9 and USB for the other. If I want to add a third H9, I won’t be able to use MIDI whilst connected with H9 Control.

There is no such option in H9 control “connect MIDI device to eventide stompbox”

gkellum
        Participant
        glorioso wrote:

There is no such option in H9 control "connect MIDI device to eventide stompbox"

Yes, there is.  It's under settings.

glorioso
        gkellum wrote:
        glorioso wrote:

There is no such option in H9 control "connect MIDI device to eventide stompbox"

Thank you. Found it

Yes, there is.  It's under settings.

glorioso
        glorioso wrote:

wilkinsi wrote:

There is no such option in H9 control “connect MIDI device to eventide stompbox”

Helix isn’t an option. I have None and Network Session 1

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.