Using a Microphone with the Pedal

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Using a Microphone with the Pedal

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      JillHarris

Hey,

I've had my pedal for a few months but am still figuring it out. I'm a singer, and have been going through a Grace pre-amp then the delay pedal. I've also run it through a mixer that has a pre-amp. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using a microphone with the pedal? The pre-amp I have is fairly expensive (and being borrowed from a friend) so I'd prefer not to use it, but I don't really know what else to use. 

I'm also only using an SM58 with it, and when I played a show there was massive feedback (even after unplugging it from the pre-amp and plugging it directly into the board). 

Would love some advice!

Thanks,

Jill

DGillespie
      Eventide Staff

Hi Jill,

Some of the algorithms have distortion, compression, or resonant filters which can make it easier for an acoustic signal to create a feedback loop.  This is generally not a problem with guitar, where you need a lot more gain to create a feedback loop.

Can you tell me which pedal and algorithms were giving you trouble and I might be able to suggest ways to reduce potential feedback scenarios?

Thanks,

Dan

JillHarris

Hi Dan,

I have the Eventide Timefactor Delay Pedal. Basically when I tried any of the presets (some of which I created, and some that were a part of the pedal) there was feedback. This was in a live performance setting, where I think the problem had to do with the microphone I was using mainly (an SM 58 which picks up more unwanted frequencies than some other mics). Any advice on the following would be appreciated, though I understand that not all of it relates directly to the Timefactor:

1. Are there certain parameters I can adjust on the pedal which would reduce the likelihood of having feedback?

2. Do you have any advice on microphones that work well with this pedal (you don't necessarily have to give specifics, but advice from experience would be helpful)

3. I have tried to find information about microphones being hooked up with this pedal and have found virtually nothing. Is there any chance you could explain to me the best way to connect a microphone to this delay pedal, and then to a mixer or speakers? A signal path would be great. I've already used this pedal in rehearsals etc so I technically know how it works but I want to avoid using the pre-amp I am currently using, but I'm not sure how else to connect it.

This is a lot to ask and I apologize! 

Anything you can explain though is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jill
      JWaltz
      Participant

Hi Jill,

Here are couple suggestions to try to help reduce feedback when using vocal mics with FX live.

I recommend using a supercardiod or hypercardiod (dynamic mic). these mics typically allow more gain before feedback and also only pick-up sound that is directly in front of them.

Here are a couple models which I have used and like –

Audix OM-5, Shure BETA58A and BETA57A.

In addition I would switch on the LO-Cut filter on the preamp or mixer, this would help reduce feedback by cutting low-frequencys that get boosted when you sing very to the mic.

Sometimes this boosted low-end can cause feedback easier. You may want to edit your TimeFactor presets so the tone controls/filters are cutting low end, many of the presets were designed for guitar where preset tone controls are boosted or emphasized for gtr instead of EQ'd voice.

I also recommend using a compressor/limiter after the FX and before the FOH mixer. I would try to get the sound of the signal chain with the TiimeFactor Mix control set to 100% dry then blend in the FX (move mix knob to more wet signal) and see where feedback occurs. You could also try to compressor before the FX, and see how that works.

Eventide just released a small mic-pre with fx loop. This was designed for artist who wants to sing thru FX pedals. This product also has a DI level output which allow the signal chain to look like a mic input level to the FOH mixer. It also has a headphone output for monitoring, so you can use this to build your vocal sound with a mic, your pedals, and a pair of headphones.

product link –

http://eventide.com/AudioDivision/Products/StompBoxes/MixingLink.aspx

documentation –

http://eventide.com/AudioDivision/Support/Stompboxes/MixingLink.aspx

We are currently working on a Application Guid to help answer the very questions you are asking.

thanks, joe

JWaltz
      Participant

Hi Jill,

I want to clarify a point I tried to make.

For TimeFactor it is probably best for the compressor to be in front of the FX as Dan suggested in the previous post.

Depending on the type of FX and the amount of gain they add, it may be useful to use a 'peak limiter' at the output of the chain before the DI to the FOH mixer.

Hope this helps.

joe

Is the application guide you referenced available?

camn
      Participant

in ear monitors

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.