Using Expression Pedal for Volume

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Using Expression Pedal for Volume

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Tim Zurowski
      Participant

I have a few overdrive type presets where I want to set my expression pedal as a volume pedal. It appears the only way to achieve this would be to have the expression pedal control the output slider, but I cannot find anyway to do this. How can I set my expression pedal to control the volume for any preset?

Thanks

Tim

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Tim Zurowski wrote:

I have a few overdrive type presets where I want to set my expression pedal as a volume pedal. It appears the only way to achieve this would be to have the expression pedal control the output slider, but I cannot find anyway to do this. How can I set my expression pedal to control the volume for any preset?

Presets -> More -> EXP controls output volume (see attached screenshot)

Tim Zurowski
      Participant

Thanks very much for the info. It works, but unfortunately does not work very well with my rig Perhaps my expression pedal does not match up well with the H9? I have the Boss EV-30. 

Tim Zurowski
      Participant

Thanks for that info bohan, but that makes no difference. Unfortunately, it is more of an issue with the sweep and reaction time of the pedal and not the range. The pedal does turn the volume from 0 to 100, but does not sweep like a typical volume control does. I can do it very well when I am playing a strat, but on a Tele or a Gibson, I cannot work the volume control and play at the same time (i.e. Jeff Beck style). I was hoping I could set the expression pedal to do this, but it does work well. We do the Robben Ford song “Worried Life Blues” and he uses a volume pedal for the intro and sections throughout the song. I want to play my 335 in this song, but can’t do that part well without a volume pedal. Not a big deal . . . . . I can live without. Was just hoping 🙂

apalazzolo
      Participant

Tim,

On a related note, the “trim” parameter in EQCompressor will do this.  

So will the “output” parameter in MangledVerb.   MangledVerb can be used as a boost/overdrive if you turn off the reverb portion.  Since it has a “mid-level” control you can kinda get into TS808 territory with it.

I’m not sure but … the “pitch amount” parameter Pitchfuzz *might* also do this with voice A.  Set voices B and C to “off”, a fuzz to taste, and delay A settings to taste (maybe off).  Vary “pitch amount” from 0 to 1.0 with expression pedal.    Set “delay level” to the left if delay is desired on voice A or to the right if no delay is desired.

Good luck!

apalazzolo
      Participant

One more thought:  There shouldn’t be any lag-time with your expression pedal. 

If you are experieincing lag-time with your expression pedal, it might be because you are running your preset off of your control app via wifi. 

You should make sure to load your presets into your H9 first and make sure you are running a preset loaded into your H9. 

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Tim Zurowski wrote:

Thanks very much for the info. It works, but unfortunately does not work very well with my rig Perhaps my expression pedal does not match up well with the H9? I have the Boss EV-30. 

You can calibrate your expression pedal in Pedal Settings -> General Settings -> Pedal Calibration Disable, and switch that to NO, move your expression pedal and then switch to YES. If the ribbon in the UI moves from the min to max with your pedal, it means it's set up correctly.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.