Using Expression Pedal with H9 Max

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Using Expression Pedal with H9 Max

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Tim Zurowski
      Participant

I have had this H9 Max for a couple of years now and really like it, so I just got my first expression pedal to use with it. Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears that in every preset the parameters changed by the expression pedal are cast in stone. Is this correct? I would like to be able to save my presets with my own choice for what the expression pedal changes. For example with a 5th pitch I would like the pedal to change the mix or volume of the 5th note. If this is possible can someone tell me how to do it? I do not see this explained at all in the manual.

Much appreciateed 🙂

Tim Zurowski
      Participant

Found a YouTube video that seems to have helped me with this. However, I am still having an issue with some of my presets though. They say “Expression Pedal mappings are disabled when the preset reads directly from the Expression Pedal”.What does this mean? Why does it only happen with a few of my presets, but not all? I can’t write the expression pedal settings if I cannot see it working in a particular preset.

Tim Zurowski
      Participant

Thanks for the reply Bohan. Yes, the three presets that have this message are in PitchFlex and QWah. That is very frustrating because I would really like the option to control different paramters in those algorithms, but I guess that is not an option. Why wouldn’t you just allow the same options within those algorithms, just like in all others?

Yes, I do use CONTROL and I can see the expression pedal ribbons and buttons, but I cannot see them move at all when I use the expression pedal. Because of that mapping message they are locked from view. 

camn
      Participant

If you REALLY want to control parameters on those few algos that the EXP is set, it can be done with MIDI.

But usually there is another way.

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Tim Zurowski wrote:

Found a YouTube video that seems to have helped me with this. However, I am still having an issue with some of my presets though. They say "Expression Pedal mappings are disabled when the preset reads directly from the Expression Pedal".What does this mean? Why does it only happen with a few of my presets, but not all? I can't write the expression pedal settings if I cannot see it working in a particular preset.

All parameters can be mapped to expression pedal. Do you use H9 Control? The ribbon and two buttons around it are used for setting up expression pedal mappings.

"Expression Pedal mappings are disabled when the preset reads directly from the Expression Pedal" means that one of this algorithm's parameter uses the expression pedal directly, usually as a modulation source. For example, the PitchFlex algorithm uses the expression pedal for whammy effects. So the expression pedal is used for that in this algorithm. Another example I can think of is the Qwah algorithm, where the expression pedal can be set up as the source of modulation to make wahwah effect.

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Tim Zurowski wrote:

Thanks for the reply Bohan. Yes, the three presets that have this message are in PitchFlex and QWah. That is very frustrating because I would really like the option to control different paramters in those algorithms, but I guess that is not an option. Why wouldn't you just allow the same options within those algorithms, just like in all others?

Yes, I do use CONTROL and I can see the expression pedal ribbons and buttons, but I cannot see them move at all when I use the expression pedal. Because of that mapping message they are locked from view. 

PitchFlex algorithm was desined to work with an expression pedal. It's parameters like 2 heels and 2 toes are for the expression pedal. So that algorithm is special.

For other algorithms like QWah, if the modulation source (SHAPE control in this algorithm) is not set to EXP PDL, you can do the expression pedal mappings in whatever way you like.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.