Using H9 as an External Audio Effect in Ableton. Please help me

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Using H9 as an External Audio Effect in Ableton. Please help me

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      mcmullers
      Participant

Please I need your help!

I am routing from Ableton Live through an Apogee Duet a poly synth to the inputs of the H9. The outputs of the H9 in turn are routeb back to the 2 ins of the Apogee Duet into ableton. 

My objective is simple, or so I thought, use Eventide H9 as an external audio effect to process my synth or any audio track in ableton for that matter. The problem is that it just sound awful. I have spend the whole day researching and can’t get it to work. 

Does anybody has a similar setup, using the H9 as an external audio effect in ableton live? Please can you share how you configure it.

THanks in advanced

Have a nice weekend

gkellum
      Participant
      mcmullers wrote:

My objective is simple, or so I thought, use Eventide H9 as an external audio effect to process my synth or any audio track in ableton for that matter. The problem is that it just sound awful. I have spend the whole day researching and can't get it to work. 

Could you specify what you mean when you say it sounds awful?  Is the processed signal noisy?  Are there some sort of phase cancellation issues going on leading the processed signal to sound unlike the original signal?

mcmullers
      Participant

Thank you for your answer

Is hard to tell, don’t think its pahse cancellation though. The effects (presets) seem to all sound the same and not drastically changing the sound.

My latest theory is that, if I connect my analog synth directly to the H9 inputs and then the H9 outputs into my Audio Interface it works fine. My fear is that by sending already converted digital signal from Ableton into the H9, the H9 is expeting an analog singal instead of digital, and digital with digital is what is affecting. Is this assumption correct?

Other things I am testing is using the Kill Dry option. 

Basically my question now is, can the H9 be used as an External Audio Effect in ableton live where the signal its receiving is digital?

Or if you could please provide a basic configuration example to set this up would be much appreciated. 

Thank you very much

Adrian

mcmullers
      Participant

all comments are moderated?

gkellum
      Participant

Yes, all comments are moderated.  We do that as much as anything else, because that means someone at Eventide will end up seeing and reacting to forum posts more quickly.

And yes, the H9 doesn't have digital inputs.  So, you can't send a digital signal into the H9.  You can send an analog signal to the H9 from Ableton;  we've heard from other people doing this as well.

mcmullers
      Participant

Thank you

One last question regarding this, to double check, maybe I explain myself wrong.

My Audio Interface is an Apogee Duet, the outs of the duel which are 1/4″ unbalnaced cables are routing the Audio to H9 and then back again. So there is signal in the H9 but is not sounding right.

Any pointers?

Thank you

Adrián

sabrewave

I too have found that the H9 is not producing any noticeable external audio effect when routed as an external audio effect in to and out of an audio interface (I’m using MOTU 828mk3) . Any guidance would be appreciated. 

gkellum
        Participant
        sabrewave wrote:

I too have found that the H9 is not producing any noticeable external audio effect when routed as an external audio effect in to and out of an audio interface (I'm using MOTU 828mk3) . Any guidance would be appreciated. 

There's a pretty active forum for Ableton: https://forum.ableton.com.  You might get an answer to this question more quickly over there.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.