Using H9 as Line Level Processor

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Using H9 as Line Level Processor

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Two issues:

1) H9 is designed for guitar level, so a hot line level will probably overload it. Note that people talk about "line level" as if it is a clearly defined thing, but in practise there is a wide range – +4dBu is probably a nominal level – peaks may be much higher.

2) H9's inputs and outputs are unbalanced. You can connect it to a balanced input or output if your connections unbalance the input(output) – this often happens automatically.

At the end of the day, do what makes sense. If it clips, drop the level. If it hums, you are probably not unbalancing it properly. Or you have a dread ground loop.

dftweedie@gmail.com
      Participant

I want to use my H9 as a line level processor. I understand from the manual that you can input line level as long as you keep the signal below +4dBu. I plan using the H9 through a balanced patchbay.

First, what issues if any do I need to consider patching between the balanced patchbay and the H9? For example, should I use a balanced or unbalanced patch cable?

Second, would it be significantly better, i.e., less headache and much better signal, to go the extra mile and add Line to Instrument boxes between the balanced patchbay and the H9?

Finally, if using Line to Instrument boxes, do I use balanced or unbalanced patch cables between the patchbay and the Line to Instrument boxes?

Thanks for any help.

O2LAMJU
      Participant

I was asking myself the same question…

would someone finally be kind & answer this ?

would it be better (precise, efficient, defined etc) to use some kind of a “reamp tool” like Palmer DACCAPO Re-amp box to go from Balanced Patch/Soundcard (Balanced line level) to H9 IN (Unbalanced instrument level) ?

thanks in advance.

justincathcart
      Participant

would it be better (precise, efficient, defined etc) to use some kind of a “reamp tool” like Palmer DACCAPO Re-amp box to go from Balanced Patch/Soundcard (Balanced line level) to H9 IN (Unbalanced instrument level)

I’m currently doing this with the Radial EXTC stereo active re-amping device. It works well.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.