Very noob question: How to turn on/off the H9?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Very noob question: How to turn on/off the H9?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      frescodicredito
      Participant

There isn't a switch on the pedal, so what is the right way to power on/off the H9? 

I use it in my little studio and it's always "turned on" with something on the display. 

I read the manual but I can't find an answer. I feel so stupid sorry 🙂

thanks in advance

gkellum
      Participant

Just pull out the power cord. Smile

frescodicredito
      Participant

thank you! I thought I was ruining the device in this way 😀

bassalisk
      Participant

Hi, I have a related noob question. Since the unit has no power switch, is it implied that it’s ok to leave it on all the time? Or SHOULD it be turned off via unplugging the power after each use (some electronics that have no power switch seem to want to be left on, so I figured I’d ask). Thank you!

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        bassalisk wrote:

Hi, I have a related noob question. Since the unit has no power switch, is it implied that it's ok to leave it on all the time? Or SHOULD it be turned off via unplugging the power after each use (some electronics that have no power switch seem to want to be left on, so I figured I'd ask). Thank you!

I don't think that it cares. It is a waste of precious energy to leave it on, but it won't do any damage.

bassalisk
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

bassalisk wrote:

Hi, I have a related noob question. Since the unit has no power switch, is it implied that it’s ok to leave it on all the time? Or SHOULD it be turned off via unplugging the power after each use (some electronics that have no power switch seem to want to be left on, so I figured I’d ask). Thank you!

I don’t think that it cares. It is a waste of precious energy to leave it on, but it won’t do any damage.

Thanks Nick. If it’s a “waste of precious energy to leave it on”, as you say, and there’s no advantage for the unit to leave it on, can I ask why there isn’t a power switch? Based on the related questions and answers, the recommended method is to simply unplug it…. but that’s:

A. A pain to do behind a rack over and over.

B. Bad for the power jack over time if unplugged at the unit, one can only assume.

Just so I fully understand what you’re saying, you’re saying it doesn’t alter the life expectancy of the H9 in any way to leave it on for 3 years straight? Nor does plugging and unplugging it over and over again potentially create issues?

It doesn’t matter at all either way? There isn’t a recommended method to how/when to cut the power to the H9? This seems kinda strange when compared with other electronic devices.

I’m strongly considering buying a seperate power conditioner just for this to be able to shut it down without having to crawl behind my rack every time. Can you tell me what the pros and cons of using a power conditioner to shut down/power up the H9 at every use would be?

Thanks,

Aram

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I don't think I've ever seen a stomp box with a power switch. This is because they are usually connected to other equipment (amps, pedals etc) and are powered from the same source, and hence turned on and off together.

If you have a piece of equipment with an external power supply (such as a wallwart), it is almost always best to turn on and off the power to this supply, as disconnecting the direct current power lead can cause damaging transients. Also, the power input socket is not usually of a type whose life expectancy is enhanced by frequent disconnection and reconnection.

bassalisk
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a stomp box with a power switch.

Well, the H9 certainly seems to be a vastly more complex little computer/digital processing device than the typical stompbox…like the only thing the H9 really has in common with a one-trick Boss chorus pedal is that you can put it on the floor if you wish (mine certainly isn’t). It seems an aweful lot like an upgraded Eclipse in smaller housing in terms of functionality (to a non-engineer, anyway).

In any case, I’m honestly just looking for a clear recommendation for this one particular device. I’ve concluded that you (and therefore, Eventide) do not really recommend leaving it on constantly (even though you’ve stopped short of expressing that here); and, you’ve stated it’s better to unplug it at the outlet to avoid damaging transients when powering it down….

So, if you could just humor me and give me a hyper-simple yes-or-no answer to the following question like I’m a five year old I’d really appreciate it. 🙂

Assuming it’s plugged in to one, is switching off a power conditioner/strip after every use the optimal approach to turning it off?

…and if “no”, please explain why, and what the optimal approach actually is (for this particular device only).

Thank you, sincerely!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

This will be my last reply to this topic – these things are not as clear-cut as you would like.

The closest I can get to what you want is to say that if you want to turn off your H9, you are best to turn off the power strip feeding the power supply.

A further comment – it is good to plug all of your equipment directly or indirectly into the same power strip. This means that all earths go to the same place, and you can power down the whole lot with one switch. But, don't overload the strips.

bassalisk
        Participant

Thanks, Nick. The lack of a power button is my least favorite thing about the pedal (which I LOVE otherwise). Having to pull out and reach behind my rack just to initiate the most fundemental actions possible at the beginning and end of my sessions is annoying. A firmware update allowing the unit to be shut off with the app would be really amazing.

nickrose wrote:

A further comment – it is good to plug all of your equipment directly or indirectly into the same power strip. This means that all earths go to the same place, and you can power down the whole lot with one switch. But, don’t overload the strips.

I would love it just plug it into my new Furman conditioner with everything else, but I also want to plug my computer in…and desk lights, etc. And I don’t want to cut power to those things. To me, the lack of a power button creates obvious issues like this one.

I appreciate your time and hope this inconvenience is addressed with a firmware update

mindengine
      Birds Feet and Rain
      Participant

Simply unplugging the H9 from the back and leaving the wall wart in the wall still uses that precious energy as the wall wart is always converting the AC to Dc either way.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.