Volume Boost for Solos

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Volume Boost for Solos

Tagged: , , ,

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      mustafaicil
      Participant

Is there anyway to use an aux switch to boost volume for solos? It is cumbersome to create a separate preset for different output volume versions of the same effect. It would be great to boost the volume a few db with the press of an aux switch button.

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      mustafaicil wrote:
      Is there anyway to use an aux switch to boost volume for solos? It is cumbersome to create a separate preset for different output volume versions of the same effect. It would be great to boost the volume a few db with the press of an aux switch button.

Currently, you can only use expression pedal or MIDI to control the output level. This feature might be available in the future through a firmware update but we don't know when that will be.

mustafaicil
        Participant
        bohan wrote:
        mustafaicil wrote:

Currently, you can only use expression pedal or MIDI to control the output level. This feature might be available in the future through a firmware update but we don't know when that will be.

Thanks. Hopefully it comes as a feature for the aux switches soon.

camn
      Participant

If we could adjust the preset output volume…..and assign that change to the hotswitch, like we can with all the other parameters….that would go a long way, I think.
      And be intuitive.
      And not jack up anyone’s presets.

mustafaicil
        Participant
        camn wrote:
        If we could adjust the preset output volume…..and assign that change to the hotswitch, like we can with all the other parameters….that would go a long way, I think. And be intuitive. And not jack up anyone’s presets.

This would be a great solution.

brock
        Participant
        camn wrote:
        If we could adjust the preset output volume…..and assign that change to the hotswitch, like we can with all the other parameters….that would go a long way, I think. And be intuitive. And not jack up anyone’s presets.

Yeah, that would solve the ‘boost’ part of the equation.  As it stands, Output Volume goes from [-INF] to the currently saved Output Volume Level.  Makes sense … it’s intended to be a ‘swell’-type parameter.

Aux Switch -> Expression Pedal would work, but it needs to be scaled by ‘range limits’ (like the MIN VAL / MAX VAL parameter controls).  That would actually solve a lot of issues across the board, although it commandeers the EXP PED control.  I’ve been meaning to check how the 128 MIDI CC Values scale against the dB values of Output Level.  It’d be useful to know the landmark values [-6 dB, -3 dB, 0 dB, +3 dB, etc.] at a minimum.

alex jones
      Participant

I’m currently building a fly rig with a HX stomp and the H9. Having the output level mapped to a hot switch would go a long way to making this small rig even more powerful. Any update on whether this feature is still coming and when it could be available?

camn
      Participant

You can make your own MIDI boost pedal for, like, $15.

SO easy.

That’s not a bad idea, I figured that would be pretty complicated. Can you link a schematic?

camn
      Participant

He ha the rabbit hole awaits 🙂

camn
      Participant

Cool!

If you look at some of my other posts, I have detailed a DIY build to do almost anything you want. Cheapest and best. 

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      alex jones wrote:
      I’m currently building a fly rig with a HX stomp and the H9. Having the output level mapped to a hot switch would go a long way to making this small rig even more powerful. Any update on whether this feature is still coming and when it could be available?

If I remember correctly we considered about this and this might be on our todo list, but we don't promise when this will be done.

For now you can use an Expression pedal to control the output level, or map it to a MIDI CC message. If you use MIDI, this is likely something you want to do.

alex jones wrote:

Hey, old thread but I can share a possible solution.

Firstly, on the HX Stomp you could map the master output level (per preset) to one of the two optional footswitches (FS4 or FS5). Set minimum value to 0.0db and maximum to your liking (ex. +5.5db). Saves a block and functions as a clean, end-of-chain volume bump.

Alternatively, you could map the output level of the H9 per preset to an “expression stompbox.” This pedal basically functions like an expression pedal, but instead of a wah-style large footpedal, it’s just a small 1590A size stompbox with an input, output, a single potentiometer to control the maximum value of the expression and a footswitch to bypass/activate. Set the pot to maximum value and viola, you can map it as your own “hot switch” to control anything from output level only, or multiple parameters at once. LED/power not required to function, only if desired for visual confirmation of engagement.

TIP: this kind of “expression stompbox” can also be used with ANY pedal with an expression jack to provide an alternate setting, I once used one to add a second channel to a Bogner La Grange by setting the gain high on the pedal and then engaging the expression stompbox to pull the gain back down. Cheers.

alex jones
      Participant
      andrewinthemane wrote:

Firstly, on the HX Stomp you could map the master output level (per preset) to one of the two optional footswitches (FS4 or FS5). Set minimum value to 0.0db and maximum to your liking (ex. +5.5db). Saves a block and functions as a clean, end-of-chain volume bump.

Alternatively, you could map the output level of the H9 per preset to an “expression stompbox.” This pedal basically functions like an expression pedal, but instead of a wah-style large footpedal, it’s just a small 1590A size stompbox with an input, output, a single potentiometer to control the maximum value of the expression and a footswitch to bypass/activate. Set the pot to maximum value and viola, you can map it as your own “hot switch” to control anything from output level only, or multiple parameters at once. LED/power not required to function, only if desired for visual confirmation of engagement.

TIP: this kind of “expression stompbox” can also be used with ANY pedal with an expression jack to provide an alternate setting, I once used one to add a second channel to a Bogner La Grange by setting the gain high on the pedal and then engaging the expression stompbox to pull the gain back down. Cheers.

I had considered both of these as options but the programming was cleaner to do it in the H9 as it works like a global setting rather than having to do it on every preset on the HX. I’m also already using every optional footswitch on the HX and I’m using 2 of the external footswitchs on the H9, you can only use 1 if you want to use an expression pedal.

I ended up going with a MIDI CC message from my Morningstar MC6ii controller. I would still prefer to use a hot switch if the option becomes available, just for the ease of having the button in the spot I want it. 

alex jones wrote:

andrewinthemane wrote:

I had considered both of these as options but the programming was cleaner to do it in the H9 as it works like a global setting rather than having to do it on every preset on the HX. I’m also already using every optional footswitch on the HX and I’m using 2 of the external footswitchs on the H9, you can only use 1 if you want to use an expression pedal.

I ended up going with a MIDI CC message from my Morningstar MC6ii controller. I would still prefer to use a hot switch if the option becomes available, just for the ease of having the button in the spot I want it. 

Nice, it’s tough to have it all and remain compact. I too have an H9 and an HX Stomp. I ended up going with a DMC Micro for the Stomp. I bank through presets in normal mode and in utility mode I have it set up as FS4 and FS5 for the patches. The multi jack lets me connect a Strymon Favorite switch that I can assign to a MIDI CC, which I have set up as an output boost on the Stomp. I had to set it up on every patch, along with all the other foot switch assignments so it wasn’t a huge deal for me. So essentially three switches that way, and I also have the Mission expression pedal. The Morningstar stuff looks great, they just came out with a smaller one as well. We’re certainly living in a great time for pedals and gear.

camn wrote:
      He ha the rabbit hole awaits 🙂

Nice! I can check that out, I think there’s a decent hole in the market for a small MIDI footswitch. Disaster Area makes the MIDI Baby and the MIDI Baby 3 but I would love to see one in a 1590A enclosure. 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.