Volume drop with Program Change using L6 Helix

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Volume drop with Program Change using L6 Helix

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      cacibi
      Participant

I’m having a helluva time today trying to control my H9 with my Helix.  I’ve run into this problem where, when I change presets using Program Change messages from the Helix to the H9, the volume drops way down on all H9 presets.

As far as I know I am not sending any other commands via the Helix and I have disabled MIDI control of the input and output volume on the H9 via the control app

Additionally, I can’t figure out how to map MIDI CC messages from the Helix to control the Fast/Slow button on the Rotary models.  I can get it to brake, but I can’t seem to get it to toggle FAST/SLOW.

Any help appreciated

cacibi
      Participant

Figured out a workaround for the Performance Switch assignment for the Rotary Algo using my Helix:

Posting this in case it’s helpful to anyone…took me most of the day to find a workaround 🙂

I was trying to figure out how to use MIDI CC from the Helix to control the Performance Switch in the Rotary Algo on my Eventide H9. I could set up a MIDI CC toggle switch and map it to the Performance Switch function, but when I do that – instead of mimicking the Performance Switch 100% (Fast/Slow; hold for Brake) it would only toggle between Fast and Break.

BUT – if you assign an expression pedal as MIDI CC controller to the performance switch…it works. Toe down is brake and heel down toggles between Slow/Fast. You can use Min Value 0 and Max Value 127 for full range, but it seems to feel a little better to me if you set the closest possible max/min values for on/of (63 & 64).

What David Lynch would call a “happy accident” because I kind of like working it with the expression pedal better than hitting a switch. A little more like a real Leslie.

Now…you might ask, why not just assign max/min rotor speeds to the expression pedal and skip the performance switch function altogether? Because it doesn’t ramp when you do that. I just glides in between fast and slow and in a rather un-Leslie-like way.

Yarns

Hey Cacibi,

Did you figure out the volume drop issue? I am controlling a H9 with a HX Effects, and the same problem happened today twice (the H9 goes back to normal when I reboot it, but I don’t want to play with the risk of random volume drops). This started to happen ever since I started controlling the H9 with the HX.

Thanks in advance for your help.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

One possible cause for volume drop issues is that some products send out a MIDI bank select on CC32 which can be used for H9 Swell functions (ISW,OSW). Check these in the system menu and move them to another CC or disable and see if that makes a difference.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You have the same issue on another thread – this kind of wastes time.

Further, I have to say I know nothing about the Helix.

My suggestion is that you look at the H9 and disable MIDI control of ISW and OSW.

camn
      Participant

I didn’t dig this thread too much.. but it is Known that the Helix does NOT handle the performance switch correctly. search my old posts for details. I rec anyone with a helix should hardwire an aux switch for that if they want it… unless Helix has fixed this issue.

Yarns

Hi nickrose,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

There was a “CC32” slot that I lowered to zero on the HX, is that what you meant?

nickrose wrote:

One possible cause for volume drop issues is that some products send out a MIDI bank select on CC32 which can be used for H9 Swell functions (ISW,OSW). Check these in the system menu and move them to another CC or disable and see if that makes a difference.

Yarns

Sorry Nick. It’s my first time posting on this forum, and I just asked two different persons hoping someone would answer and I am glad you are so prompt in helping.

I disabled the Midi routing on the H9 for Input and Output. I will keep you posted if the problem reoccurs.

Thanks for your help!

nickrose wrote:

You have the same issue on another thread – this kind of wastes time.

Further, I have to say I know nothing about the Helix.

My suggestion is that you look at the H9 and disable MIDI control of ISW and OSW.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.