Voodoo Lab ISO-5 Sounds Bad

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Voodoo Lab ISO-5 Sounds Bad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      ctc

I couldn't be more thrilled with my new Timefactor! When powered with its supplied transformer the sound it produces exceeds that of any others that I've tried. However, I hear a dramatic reduction in the volume, diminished tone, and loss of realism of the Timefactor when powered with the ISO-5's recommended 12v port. It's not even close!

The Timefactor is connected to the effects loop of my Mesa Boogie Mark V amp using 16" Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables. The Eventide transformer, the ISO-5, and the Mark V are plugged into an ISO-Tel Ultra 4 by Tripp Lite. There are two other 9 V pedals powered by the ISO-5: a Fulltone Clyde Standard Wah and a Sonic-Research Turbo Tuner ST-200.

Any suggestions on why the Timefactor underperforms when powered by the ISO-5?

achaput

Thanks ctc. Have you noticed if it makes a difference in the sound if you don't have the additional pedals powered by the ISO-5?

ctc

IT DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH OR WITHOUT THE OTHER PEDALS, THE SOUND IS NOT AS GOOD WHEN USING THE ISO-5.

achaput

Thanks for checking. In our testing we found the ISO-5 to function satisfactorily. I suggest you contact Voodoo Lab and see if they have any suggestions.

-Alan

archaos

I don't wanna hijack this thread but for me the TF is very noisy when used with the PP2+ too.

ctc

Okay, I guess the issue is "satisfactorily".

Yes, I have found that the Timefactor indeed functions with the voodoo lab ISO-5. The problem is one of a reduction in performance of the Timefactor that is evident with my high quality equipment.

I didn't realize that changing power supplies could affect the sound like it has. For me the Timefactor is unusable with the ISO-5 and as such I guess I wish I hadn't spent the money for it.

The Eventide transformer is large, however for me it is worth every cubic inch of its size for the great sound that it allows the Timefactor to produce.

laskyman

I have a custom built powersupply from Logdon Audio which powers 3 factor pedals and 5 additional 9 volt pedals and is DEAD quiet  with full function and no bad voodoo…I didnt buy 3 Eventides to have a "satisfactory" effect selection. I bought them to have "the very best"….and they need a power supply that can deliver. Logsdon Audio Custom Regulator does just that.

ctc

OK, what is custom in your Logsdon supply?

What are the specs for the outputs powering the Eventides?

laskyman

Hello-

The Power supply was custom built for me by Joe at Logsdon Audio- here is a picture for you to check out of my actual board:

http://s715.photobucket.com/albums/ww159/laskyman/Pedalboard%202010/?action=view&current=IMG_0471.jpg

Joe was awesome to work with, and built the power supply based off my needs- 1 power supply powers EVERYTHING on my board with absolutely NO ISSUES…

http://www.logsdonaudio.com

Also didnt cost me as much as some other power supplies that are available….

laskyman

There are 3 12 volt outs (each sport 600mA) and were designed specifically for my Factor pedals, each is isolated. Plus there are 5 additional 9 volt outs 3 isolated and regulated, 2 that share a ground, to power the rest of my board. I turn on the power supply and its like firing up the Millenium Falcon…any power needs I ever have in the future- I will go to Joe at Logsdon first- his customer service was second to none. If I was Eventide,i would have hired him to build power for the Factors.

ctc

Okay, so the guys at voodoo lab were great! They picked up my iso-5 and ran it through all of the tests, only to find that it was performing within design parameters. They said that they adjusted this and tightened that and sent the unit back to me. On some Timefactor settings I cannot detect a sonic difference between the iso-5 and the TF transformer, however on others I swear that I can hear a difference in the sound. How can this be?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.