voodoo labs pedal power 2 plus and eventide pedals

Home Forums Products Stompboxes voodoo labs pedal power 2 plus and eventide pedals

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      grahamstuart

Hi there,

I was looking to clean up my pedal board and get rid of walwarts where I could.

I like the look of the Voodoo labs PEDAL POWER 2PLUS, but will it offer enough power for my TIMEFACTOR and PITCHFACTOR pedals?

Does anyone know?

graham

achaput

We have found that the Pedal Power 2Plus does not have enough power for two Eventide Stompboxes. 

Currently the only Eventide-approved power supply is the one which comes with the stompbox.

john beddoe

The voodlab power supply WILL work but only for one pedal. You need a Y cable to sum outputs 5 and 6 together (i think thats the ones- the ones with more current) and it works perfectly. But just the one pedal.

skategeezer

The Voodoo Labs 2 + only has 250Ma on ports 5 and 6. Even with all the ports combined the Power 2 + only puts out 1100mA. The time factor needs 1200mA risky behavior for nice piece of kit.

I can confirm this. I run my timefactor this way.

I suspect (but haven't tested) that if you used a daisy chain BACKWARDS out of the other 6 outputs it could supply enough juice to power a second Factor.

noredr2

Wanted to follow up on a post from a staff member (nickrose) made in September of 2008 saying that you all at Eventide were testing stompboxes with various popular power supplies.  He said you'd be posting your results from those tests.  What have you come up with?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Can't find this post. But, can only say that we recommend the use of the supplied power supply.

noredr2

Here's a link to it:

http://forum.eventide.com/cs/forums/t/4835.aspx

It's about half way down the page.

Also, what's your response to Line6 modelers having the same power requirements as Eventide modelers.  Since the PP2+ was designed to power Line6 stuff and the requirements are the same, doesn't is stand that the PP2+ will sufficiently power at least one Eventide modeler?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Thanks – I stand corrected. But, nothing to report.

It is entirely likely that a number of other power supplies can be used. But, we cannot lightly recommend anything that we do not supply, as there may be changes or unknown issues  which we could not control, but would then be responsible for.

There are some aspects of the power supply's performance (for example, its turnoff time) which are not usually specified by power supply manufacturers, but are important to the operation of the unit.

noredr2

Thanks for the quick reply…

A question off of that.  I've seen many discussions about other options for powering your modeling pedals, and I have never seen the issue of turnoff time addressed before.  Would you be able to explain more what you're talking about?  A power supply like the PP2+ does not have an on/off switch, so the only way to turn it on or off would be simply to plug it in or unplug it.  The scenario is the same with your stompboxes.  Is it any different for power supplies with digital switching (i.e. the Visual Sound 1-Spot)?  How does the turnoff time affect the functionality of a stompbox like a Timefactor or Modfactor? 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

It's a subtle technical issue that may be relevant to people using non-standard power supplies – when the power supply is turned off (or powered down), the unit detects this and performs some house-keeping. If the voltage ramps down too quickly, there is not time and problems may result.

I only mention this as an example of reasons why power supply choice is not as simple as it may appear.

Obviously, people are using other power supplies, and if they work well, best of luck to them, but we can't be responsible for the results.

noredr2

Makes sense…and I can understand why you all at Eventide can't toss out all kinds of powering options. For me, using the wallwart isn't a problem.  Just trying to understand this all.

Another question branching off of all this.  I've seen many reports of the maximum current draw on a Timefactor being no greater than 600mA.  I'm curious what current draws you came across in development and testing?  What did you find in development that necessitated a 1200mA supply? 

Also have there been any developments in an integrated power supply (mentioned by Marketing guy RMaxwell in this thread:  http://forum.eventide.com/cs/forums/t/5296.aspx?PageIndex=5  )?

Thanks for all your responses in this…I know there's many out there who are asking these questions.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I'm not sure of the details, but I think it's heavily overrated to be absolutely sure that it works at all times, with all mains voltages, under all circumstances etc.

hywelg

I think you need to get together with some power supply providers simply because your wallwart solution is not viable for pedal board use live, expecially if someone has 2 or 3 of these.

I am considering the EvenFlo from GigRigsince (scroll down )since they are a highly respected company here in the UK and their solution works well on a pedal board where yours does not.

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

I understand the dilemma with the wall warts and power strips on a pedal board, but personally, for the time being, I've been happy with a simple $9-10 solution of using a 3 outlet extension cord (pictured above).  All three wall warts easily plug into this and I find it that it's pretty portable with not too much added set-up time (under a minute).   It might even fit under your pedal board.  Of course, I'm assuming they have these types of things internationally as well.

My two cents,

Russ

afullerton
      Participant

I'm not one who's complaining about the wall wart thing, but I'm curious….How do you plug three Eventide wall warts into that? The only possibility is two warts on one side and one on the other. And from the looks of the inputs on the cord, two won't plug into one side (unless there's a plug on the end). Maybe I'm missing the obvious. Again, I'm just curious.

hywelg

In the UK you can't get two Eventide mains transformers side by side. Indeed I can't get my powersupply transformer alongside it. So to plug in two Factors (I am planning to get a TF) and the powersupply I will need a six gang trailing socket!! Really not good enough for live use.

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

Two supplies plug into the side that is shown in the picture.  One of them is just upside down in the socket.  There is a socket on the back of the cord for the third supply.  This works because the supplies only have two prongs of the same size (no large and small prongs or gound post). 

Hello,

Regarding powering, all Eventide Factor pedals need a 9V DC regulated power supply to operate properly. All of them draw a current around 330-360mA. This is what I measured at different settings and working conditions. A proper power supply for Eventide Factor pedals should be able to deliver a current of 400mA at stabilized and regulated 9V DC.

There are 3 popular dedicated power supplies for pedals on the market. These are the PP2+ from Voodoo Lab, BBE Supacharger and Mod-Tone Power Plant. None of these have outlets powerful enough to supply Eventide Factor pedals. Not even the new ISO-5 from VL. It has one 300mA section which is 100mA short.

Power requirements for pedals change and realizing that, we at CIOKS made three brand new products which form our professional range of dedicated power supplies for effect pedals. CIOKS DC10 is able to power three Eventide Factor pedals properly along with other standard 9V pedals. The AC10 can supply one along with a AC powered pedal at 9, 12 or 16V AC, also along with other standard 9V pedals. CIOKS TC10 power supply can power one Eventide Factor pedal along with 3 other mA-hungry pedals with a maximum current draw of 300mA and 4 standard 9V battery operated pedals. Please have a closer look at the specifications of these units on CIOKS web site.

If you have other questions regarding powering effect pedals, you’re more than welcome to e-mail me directly. I have more than 18 years experience in this field.

Best regards,
      Poul Ciok
      poul.ciok@cioks.com

hywelg

CIOKS power support:

There are 3 popular dedicated power supplies for pedals on the market.

There are many others, some of which do indeed have sufficient power to supply a Factor pedal. The Gig Rig for one.

I am suprised the mods continue to allow you to advertise on this forum quite so blatantly.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.