Vsig on a Microsoft Surface?

Home Forums Products Vsig and Preset Development Vsig on a Microsoft Surface?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      michaelbrook
      Participant

Pardon the possibly naive question, coming from someone with Mac only background.

Does anyone know what has to be done to make a Surface work with Vsig?

It even possible?

Thanks

Michael

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

No reason why it shouldn't work. I'll give it a try.

michaelbrook
      Participant

Thanks.

Also any suggestion for a recommended midi interface, or whatever the best way to connect to the H8000, would be appreciated.

Michael

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Usually a USB to serial interface. When I get it going (maybe later this week), I'll tell you what I use.

MFPhouse
      Participant

hi,

i am running Vsig via Virtual Box ( WinXP )under OSX 10.10.2. and a Serial-USB  Adapter from Discounter.

Works Fine !

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I ran Vsig happily on my Surface Pro 2, using a no-name USB Serial interface to connect to the H8000. You will need a mouse, as it does not support the touch screen.

Note that it will NOT run on a Surface or Surface 2.

michaelbrook
      Participant

Nick

Thanks very much.

I'll probably get one.

Excuse the zero knowledge of the PC world, but by "no-name USB Serial Interface", are you referring to a midi interface, and is this the only connection I need to use Vsig with the H8000fw?

Much Appreciated

Michael

michaelbrook
      Participant

Thanks

The Virtual Box looks intriguing, but potentially gnarly, as if one thing goes wrong I'd have no way to troubleshoot, and might screw up a Mac in the process.

Does one have to buy WinXP, which I've seen on Ebay? Any particular version/flavor?

thanks

MIchael

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

michaelbrook:

by "no-name USB Serial Interface", are you referring to a midi interface

You can use a MIDI interface, but people more commonly use a serial interface or COM port (9 pin). These are semi-obsolete these days, but there are many cheap USB-serial adaptors available. There are a number on Amazon for $10-15 – if you pick one that uses "FTDI" it should work (but don't get the $2.50 one !).

MFPhouse
      Participant

michaelbrook:

The Virtual Box looks intriguing, but potentially gnarly, as if one thing goes wrong I'd have no way to troubleshoot, and might screw up a Mac in the process.

You get it 😉 That is for shure .

Quote:
      Does one have to buy WinXP, which I've seen on Ebay? Any particular version/flavor?

You can also work with Win 7 or 8 … there is a list out there.

I use the Usb-Serial Adapter from " Hama " .

You can also use the Midi Pin.

But in my case i can use both. The Visg Data going via VB Serial to the H8 while Logic sends Midi Data ( CC ) to H8 to the Mid socket . Simultaneously.

Good Luck

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.