vSigX progress

Home Forums Products Vsig and Preset Development vSigX progress

Tagged: ,

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      wtholliday
      Participant

I wanted to start a thread with progress restoring vSigX. As I mentioned over in the Rackmount forum, I’ve inherited the vSigX code from the original author and got it working again on the latest macOS. Here’s a screenshot:

vsigx

I’m planning to polish up the UI a bit, but I won’t have the time to do a rewrite using the latest stuff (Swift/SwiftUI).

Question: is it a necessity to keep support for switching between different SigDatabases? I’d like to drop that feature because it conflicts with modern app sandboxing.

wtholliday
      Participant

I started experimenting with rewriting using the latest stuff. I actually don’t think it will be that hard. Already parsing the operator database and sig files. And experimenting with layout for modules:

sig_previews

noodle1
      Participant

Question: is it a necessity to keep support for switching between different SigDatabases? I’d like to drop that feature because it conflicts with modern app sandboxing.

What is your proposed solution? Isn’t it necessary to be able to change/patch the module database, depending on the eventide model used?

wtholliday
        Participant

I really should have explained that better. The old vSigX, just has a path to the sigdb file. My new version would store that sigdb internally (in the app’s sandbox) after acquiring it from the machine or otherwise loading it. You’d still be able to switch actually.

It would be cool if the app on startup detected whether it already has a sigdb for the connected machine, downloading it if necessary, so the user never even has to worry about it.

wtholliday
      Participant

Current screenshot:

aug28

I made the modules translucent and moved the wires behind. This is a bit better when you’re dealing with a mess of wires. Also I’m now evaluating the ~n expressions such that I get in1, in2, etc. Also I added gradients along the wires. Will need to chose a color scheme to separate the control and signal wires.

klaatuberada
      Participant

Fantastic!

italoop
      Participant

Overall look is good BUT…

both Windows and Mac versions always had consistency of colors for audio-modulation/control/UI signals and I strongly believe you should keep that in your new vSigX version! Green for audio-modulation, blue for control and pink for UI cables and connection dots of the modules. Connecting I/Os is much simplified in that way and using Show Auido/Control/Misc/Unconnected/All helps thru large algorithms. Please keep it!

Downloading the unit modules database at every power up isn’t a good idea as it’s a slow process. Much better keeping the possibility to switch databases. I work on several different Eventides and it has never been a problem to move from one to another in Vsig.

wtholliday
        Participant

I’ll make the final colors consistent with the older apps.

italoop
        Participant

I’ll make the final colors consistent with the older apps.

EXCELLENT!!!

wtholliday
      Participant

We’ve open-sourced the node-editor part of the app: https://github.com/audiokit/nodeeditor

ethosphere
      Participant

This is great! following with excitement 🙂

wtholliday
      Participant

Working on the inspector today. Any suggestions? I’m not yet sure what set of features are needed.

inspector

italoop
        Participant

I suggest you install Vsig for Windows on your Mac, running it on any virtualization software as I have been doing for over 10 years now and use it as a reference in your design, side by side to it. You can quickly understand what needs to be there and/or what could be improved. What I remember about vSigX is a major lack of features back then…

The problem in looking for suggestions here is that almost nobody runs vSigX so we can’t rally make comparisons and provide you the right feedback.

ethosphere
      Participant

I haven’t used VSIG in years now due to being solely on mac, so cant think of anything specific off hand. Not exactly sure what you are asking but I assume as long as all the original features are there (with a nicer UI) it will be amazing!

wtholliday
      Participant

Hi All,

I’m now calling it Siggy. Here’s a VERY early beta version! You certainly don’t need experience with vSigX to make suggestions. Just let me know what you think of the beta via TestFlight feedback.

https://testflight.apple.com/join/zW0YWyFI

Doesn’t connect to the device yet, but that’s not too hard to do. The harder part is just editing patches.

FranBlan
      Participant

Hello

I want to restart using VsigX (after >12 years…). I have the 1.9 version with a H8000FW unit.

One question: where can I get the latest version (I think 2.4.9?). Anything changed that I should be aware of? (I see the nice screenshots above 🙂

Thank you for your help! I hope I’ll remember how to use this software…

Cheers

FranBlan
      Participant

I have another question… I have a flash card and I can’t remember how to save my user programs (from the H8000 to the card) so I can edit them in VSIGX on my mac.

The second question will be the opposite, how do I send my updated programs back to the H8000FW?

I know I have done this in the past, but I want to avoid deleting all the current programs on my H8000.

Thanks again for your help!

ethosphere
      Participant

I’m on Monterey OS but cant seem to test it… does it only work on Ventura?

wtholliday
        Participant

Ventura only I’m afraid. I’m using some stuff only available on Ventura.

ethosphere
      Participant

Is there any development still being done on this?

tajnost
      Participant

+1

Was it ever finished? Want to try using Vsig on my Mac

wtholliday
      Participant

Nope, I decided there wasn’t sufficient interest and I need to focus on projects that can generate revenue. Sorry about that!

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.