We loved you, H9!!!!!!! Whats NEXT?????

Home Forums Products Stompboxes We loved you, H9!!!!!!! Whats NEXT?????

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      joeydego
      Participant

Mine will remain on my board for years to come. Not expecting much more in terms of future firmwares, probably only bug fixes if we get them. 

whats next for our favorite effects company? I’ve been saying for a while, a modern take on the G System would be killer from Eventide. What I’d love to see:

Up to 4 Algos at once. 

Maybe 12-15 stomps, including seperate bank up/down etc. The usual. 

Scribble strips above each. 

a few loops for other pedals, assignable around a 4CM scheme (ability to stereo pair them too) 

Bluetooth of course with a robust app

Could be rackmount, floor based or both (the G System was awesome for this) 

Built in expression pedal maybe 

Interface capability? Not a must for me but might be for some 

Please keep the stellar Eventide quality. Don’t TC or Lexicon and offer something in the 299 dollar range. Price between 1-2k or so would be competitive in the market. 

What say y’all? What would you like to see next? 

Bodde
      Participant

Good question. I would like to see the same type of H9 and software but then with 4 or more algos at the same time and more footswitches. Like a H9 mkII or H18 or how you want to call it. Now I think about it; what does the name H9 stand for?

apalazzolo
      Participant

I believe Eventide said that it can’t release any more algorithms for the H9 because its memory is full. I accept that.

However, I think it’s time for one more firmware/control-app update that solves some limitations/problems that have been known for years (and maybe a few new surprising tweaks). For example, a firmware/control-app update could:

1. Finally allow ribbon controller and hotswitch capability to all of the algorithms (or at least the H9ers). Realtime volume/output control may not be a big deal in the studio, but this is a stomper for live use and volume/output control is huge for that. Yes, I know they put out a patch job that allowed some control but it is, frankly, awful (not at all like their excellent ribbon/hotswitch control).

2. Gui update that allows preset drag and drop (copy) presets from the preset list screen to another list (shown by list name only on the left side). This would be sort of the inverse of their current drag and drop feature. This way you could make one master preset list and then create new ones by dragging presets from your master into a newly created empty list (and not have to scroll through many algos you’ve never used). It would be much more intuitive. The presets in the new list would populate in the order that you drag them. This would make it easier to create variant lists for different gigs/bands.

3. Gui update that includes an “undo” button for any function in the control app.

4.  Fix the “rename preset” feature accessible from the preset list screen. I’m a windows user and almost every time I have used that my preset gets erased … reset to zero … obliterated. As it is now, the only way to reliably rename a present id to open the preset and use the “rename preset” feature accessible from the individual preset screen. I have no idea whether this is a problem with Apple users, but it sure is with Windows 10 and Windows 7.

5. Gui that has a “notes” field for whatever text a user might want to add … notes to self/reminders/etc.

These (and maybe some other firmware/control-app changes) would significantly improve the H9 before both functionality and algorithm options are frozen for all time.

turretboard
      Participant

I would totally consider – most likely bought – updated H9 with more algorithms available at one time. Most of the time what I miss is running reverb with my algorithm of choice. Im helping myself with spring reverb from my amp but I’m rather allergic to spring reverb so its a compromise. Whatever replacing H9, please do it in same footprint. There’s enough huge FX units out there, use the niche to your advantage.

My first post so hello – happy fresh H9Max Dark owner

gas hed
      Participant

Being a minimalist myself I’m completely in love with the H9.  And reality is my tone is better without 5 effects running at the same time.  I’d simply like to see a H9 V2.0 that has a larger, modern display.  And I’d make the x, y, z buttons little knobs that can be adjusted on their own.

joeydego
      Participant

Although the H9 footprint does have value and is needed, I personally would love to see a Fractal FX8 or TC G system killer. Something that can be used as a centerpiece for a pedalboard that offers some amp control, audio loops and so on. 

Honestly if they just developed an H9 2.0 with expanded firepower to add future algos, I would be happy with that. Also the ability to pad line level signals so they aren’t blowing up the input. 

brock
      Participant
      Bodde wrote:
      … Now I think about it; what does the name H9 stand for?

Here’s my guess.  From Mix magazine.  The H9s were an ‘abbreviated’ version of the rack units, while also expanding on some of the concepts.  And we know who the ‘Factor’ pedals were named for.

MIX wrote:
      When you name a product after a Beatles tune (the model number refers to the “One After 909”), it better be good. However, when Eventide founder Richard Factor assigned his young designer Anthony Agnello (the company’s first “degreed” engineer) to begin building a harmony processor in 1974, they had no idea that they’d be creating an audio classic of their own.”

apalazzolo
      Participant
      apalazzolo wrote:

I believe Eventide said that it can’t release any more algorithms for the H9 because its memory is full. I accept that.

However, I think it’s time for one more firmware/control-app update that solves some limitations/problems that have been known for years (and maybe a few new surprising tweaks). For example, a firmware/control-app update could:

1. Finally allow ribbon controller and hotswitch capability to all of the algorithms (or at least the H9ers). Realtime volume/output control may not be a big deal in the studio, but this is a stomper for live use and volume/output control is huge for that. Yes, I know they put out a patch job that allowed some control but it is, frankly, awful (not at all like their excellent ribbon/hotswitch control).

2. Gui update that allows preset drag and drop (copy) presets from the preset list screen to another list (shown by list name only on the left side). This would be sort of the inverse of their current drag and drop feature. This way you could make one master preset list and then create new ones by dragging presets from your master into a newly created empty list (and not have to scroll through many algos you’ve never used). It would be much more intuitive. The presets in the new list would populate in the order that you drag them. This would make it easier to create variant lists for different gigs/bands.

3. Gui update that includes an “undo” button for any function in the control app.

4.  Fix the “rename preset” feature accessible from the preset list screen. I’m a windows user and almost every time I have used that my preset gets erased … reset to zero … obliterated. As it is now, the only way to reliably rename a present id to open the preset and use the “rename preset” feature accessible from the individual preset screen. I have no idea whether this is a problem with Apple users, but it sure is with Windows 10 and Windows 7.

5. Gui that has a “notes” field for whatever text a user might want to add … notes to self/reminders/etc.

These (and maybe some other firmware/control-app changes) would significantly improve the H9 before both functionality and algorithm options are frozen for all time.

… and … Number 6: improved instructions in the “info” field in the individual preset screen.  Some of the algorithm “info” is WAY too cryptic and this has recently become very clear since there is a new round of Youtube videos directed to the new H9 plugins.  I often find myself saying, “That’s great! Why didn’t they just say that in the “info” field all those years ago.”  I shouldn’t need to consult the Rosetta Stone to know what the knobs in each algo do. 

apalazzolo
      Participant
      apalazzolo wrote:

A GUI with a user notes field could also improve preset sharing. 

User notes/instructions would accompany every preset share so people who receive a copied preset can have guidance as to that preset.  Also, the Eventide sharing website could be designed to automatically extract and present this information to users browsing presets.  This is now (sometimes) done manually and that’s a lot of work.  Mostly, the shared presets on the website have no description.  The whole thing would be more useful if user notes and preset screen shots (see below) are presented automatically.

Further, the Control App/GUI should have the capability to automatically generate a preset screen shot (of some efficient/small file size and useful type … jpg?).  That way the screen shot for the preset could be a file icon and/or or otherwise be easily viewed.  Also, people could share screen shots instead of .h9z files if desired (this would have a potent visual impact for sharing on discussion forums).  The Eventide website sharing feature could also present that image to users browsing for presets (seeing the screen allows a user to understand what the preset is/does at a glance).

tomattah
      Participant
      turretboard wrote:
      . Whatever replacing H9, please do it in same footprint. There’s enough huge FX units out there, use the niche to your advantage.

TESTIFY. 

Whatever comes after the H9 I would likely buy and swap out the one on my main board.  +1 for a ‘better’ display and multiple algos.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.