wet/dry vrs stereo routing and issues

Home Forums Products Stompboxes wet/dry vrs stereo routing and issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      st.bede
      Participant

I am running two amps and two H9s. I would like to have a wet amp with (as an example) a chours and a verb and have the other amp completley dry. This is not possibe because for some reason the inputs on the second H9 when set to wet/dry are summed. This seems like a serious oversight but of course I am assuming that a wet/dry would work in that why. I was about to sell some other gear to get another (third) H9 (in large part due to the killer new algorithm: sculpt) but now I can not see why, if I have to run the last two in stereo thus ruining a wet/dry setup.

I love Eventide (demostrated by owning, two H9s, MF, PF and a TF). I love that you fully suport your products for the long run. If it is possible to fix this issue and it is fixed, I would be grateful forever.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

We tend to think in terms of guitar-h9-amp, which is why it works the way it does.

But, since more and more people use multiple H9s, which of course we would wish to encourage, we need to consider the issues you raise.

More later.

wedelich
      Eventide Staff
      st.bede wrote:

I am running two amps and two H9s. I would like to have a wet amp with (as an example) a chours and a verb and have the other amp completley dry. This is not possibe because for some reason the inputs on the second H9 when set to wet/dry are summed. This seems like a serious oversight but of course I am assuming that a wet/dry would work in that why. I was about to sell some other gear to get another (third) H9 (in large part due to the killer new algorithm: sculpt) but now I can not see why, if I have to run the last two in stereo thus ruining a wet/dry setup.

I love Eventide (demostrated by owning, two H9s, MF, PF and a TF). I love that you fully suport your products for the long run. If it is possible to fix this issue and it is fixed, I would be grateful forever.

Wet/Dry mode sums the stereo inputs, because by constraint of the # of outputs on the H9 (two), Wet/Dry mode can only support mono signals.  But it sounds like you are running mono anyway with one amp for wet and one for dry.  Unless there is some reason you sometimes want to run stereo? 

Assuming you always want a dry and wet amp (mono signals), try the the following:

Run the first H9 in Wet/Dry mode, and run the second H9 in Normal routing mode. Connect the dry output of the first H9 to your dry amp, and connect the wet output the first H9 to the input of the second H9 (mono input 1).  Then connect the output of the second H9 (mono output 1) to your wet amp.   

Does that sound like what you want to do? 

st.bede
        Participant
        wedelich wrote:

Wet/Dry mode sums the stereo inputs, because by constraint of the # of outputs on the H9 (two), Wet/Dry mode can only support mono signals.  But it sounds like you are running mono anyway with one amp for wet and one for dry.  Unless there is some reason you sometimes want to run stereo? 

Assuming you always want a dry and wet amp (mono signals), try the the following:

Run the first H9 in Wet/Dry mode, and run the second H9 in Normal routing mode. Connect the dry output of the first H9 to your dry amp, and connect the wet output the first H9 to the input of the second H9 (mono input 1).  Then connect the output of the second H9 (mono output 1) to your wet amp.   

Does that sound like what you want to do? 

Great solution 🙂 

However, I would like the option to go back and froth from running two stereo patches stacked at times and wet/dry. I am sure there are a few more reasons why having a hard pan type of option would be useful.

wedelich
        Eventide Staff
        st.bede wrote:

Great solution 🙂 

However, I would like the option to go back and froth from running two stereo patches stacked at times and wet/dry. I am sure there are a few more reasons why having a hard pan type of option would be useful.

I hear your point, a Mono Routing scheme, selectable within the Wet/Dry Routing mode, where you pick where the algorithm sits (Either b/t I/O 1 OR I/O 2) would be helpful if you have a 2 amp / 2 H9 rig where you want to switch b/t a Wet/Dry amp setup and Stereo Setup.

Pre/Post essentially does this, but you would need to access it from Wet/Dry mode. We ruled that out early on because we didn't want to create any dangerous feedback or amp blowing up situations for people who accidentally pick Wet/Dry or Normal Routing when their rig is hooked up in a Pre/Post configuration.

You could still easily put your amps in a stereo mode using the first H9 with a preset saved as Normal Routing.  You'd only get stereo from the first H9.  The second would serve to make one side "wetter" or could be useful as a one sided auxillary effect or harmony.  

I don't think there is a way to overall have both of these options (chained serial stereo H9s into switching back and forth to full wet/dry) at this point, but I'll give it a harder think.  As it stands you'll need an external loop/switcher or summer/mixer to "have it all."  

st.bede
      Participant

I love Eventide and the issues that won me over to extreme gratefulness, is the honest, deep commitment Eventide has to their products. It is easy to feel “ripped off” in this “throw away” economic society. I know if enough people ask for the options we have been talking about and it is possible to achieve them at a high quality level, then Eventide will step up and do it and the upgrade will be free: amazing. I am grateful and respect for that support more then you can imagine.

On a side note, would a H8000 be able to do what I would like to achieve?

st.bede
      Participant

Just a follow up… I have tried all the different approaches (with out added a mixer), I can think of (including the suggestion in the thread). All of them worked but so far I like the running an out to the amp from the first H9 in wet/dry and then running the 2nd H9 in normal.

For refence I am using a JC40. With running the wet/dry and normal setup, I am getting a little phase problem (the signal is sounding a bit notched). For those who are interested in the JC40 (it could be the perfect amp to pair with the ablities offered by factor and/or H9 pedals), I will say that the 10″ speakers are a bit forward and focused sounding. (This is compared to the 12″ speakers in a JC120). The phase issue only makes the 10″ speaker more hyped. I am planing on replacing them with Celestiog Golds. Having a good share of experince with JC amps, my intubation is telling me that the Golds will work very well to bring more sense of air. Pretty sure the phase issue will still be there but not sure to what extent. I am think about buying a phase alignment tool (Radial or Little Labs).

Just throwing that info out there for anyone who is thinking about this stuff. Peace

bill e

i bought a radial stage bug and it worked great ,very quite.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.