What is the ACTUAL power consumption for a TF and MF?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes What is the ACTUAL power consumption for a TF and MF?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      axman53
      Participant

I see the power adapters are rated 9VDC at 1200MA, but what is the max power either the TF of MF actually requires? Anybody tried powering these stompboxes with anything other than the factory power adapter? Thanks.

howieneil

i've been reading the entire forum, looking for beginner info on the PF. seems that people have used switching power supplies like the One Spot with a Line 6 adaptor to reverse the polarity. It might get noisy though.

Hello,

Regarding powering, all Eventide Factor pedals need a 9V DC regulated power supply to operate properly. All of them draw a current around 330-360mA. This figure is measured at 9V DC supply voltage. A proper power supply for Eventide Factor pedals should be able to deliver a current of 400mA at stabilized and regulated 9V DC.

There are 3 popular dedicated power supplies for pedals on the market. These are the PP2+ from Voodoo Lab, BBE Supacharger and Mod-Tone Power Plant. None of these have outlets powerful enough to supply Eventide Factor pedals. Not even the new ISO-5 from VL. It has one 300mA section which is 100mA short.

Power requirements for pedals change and realizing that, we at CIOKS made three brand new products which form our professional range of dedicated power supplies for effect pedals. CIOKS DC10 is able to power three Eventide Factor pedals properly along with other standard 9V pedals. The AC10 can supply one along with a AC powered pedal at 9, 12 or 16V AC, also along with other standard 9V pedals. CIOKS TC10 power supply can power one Eventide Factor pedal along with 3 other mA-hungry pedals with a maximum current draw of 300mA and 4 standard 9V battery operated pedals. Please have a closer look at the specifications of these units on CIOKS web site.

If you have other questions regarding powering effect pedals, you’re more than welcome to e-mail me directly. I have more than 18 years experience in this field.

Best regards,
      Poul Ciok
      poul.ciok@cioks.com

JimiB

poul, is there anywhere to buy on of these in the US?

bobcae

Despite published specs, the CAE/MXR MC403 will also power the Eventide stompboxes from its higher current capacity adjustable outputs, set to 9vdc.

Bob Bradshaw/CAE

waltz

Our stated power requirements were based on an early
      prototype and are overly conservative. We've done extensive testing and
      we have updated the spec as follows:

MF, TF, and PF can operate from a 5W power source that supplies
      regulated 9 to 12VDC max.

The minimum required power ranges from a maximum of 4.5W at power up
      (all LEDs lit) to about 3.6W in normal operation depending on how many LEDs are lit.

For a regulated 12VDC,

the current requirement is 380mA at power up and 300mA in normal operation. Do not use unregulated 12V.

For a regulated 9VDC,

the current requirement is 500 mA at power up and 400mA in normal operartion.

The Voodoo Lab ISO-5's 12VDC output is conservatively rated at 300mA.

It can supply 12VDC @ 400mA with all outputs fully loaded and low
      AC line level.

The ISO-5 can easily run one Factor pedal from its 12VDC/300mA output.

We apologize for any grief that we've caused by our original, overly
      conservative spec.

jwaltz

eventide product development

Josh Fiden

waltz:

The Voodoo Lab ISO-5's 12VDC output is conservatively rated at 300mA.

It can supply 12VDC @ 400mA with all outputs fully loaded and low
      AC line level.

The ISO-5 can easily run one Factor pedal from its 12VDC/300mA output.

This information is exactly correct. The Voodoo Lab Pedal Power ISO-5 will easily provide 400mA continuously from its 12VDC output. Properly powering Eventide stompboxes was an important design goal. We have tested this extensively over the wide range of AC line conditions found on stage, as well as providing a Pedal Power ISO-5 to Eventide for their evaluation.

We recently conducted a critical listening test with the Time Factor selecting between regulated 9VDC, regulated 12VDC, and the supplied Eventide adapter. We could not detect any discernible differences in sound or operation. Since the supplied Eventide adapter provides approximately 12VDC when powering their stompboxes, we recommend using the regulated 12VDC output from the Pedal Power ISO-5.

Regards,

Josh Fiden

Founder / CEO

http://www.voodoolab.com

Can we buy a CIOKS DC 10 in Australia? I want to power more than one Eventide

Cheers

John G

ctc

Printed on the face of your ISO-5 device is 12 V and 300 milliamps! Even your manual states in part "… for all devices which require 12 V at 300 milliamps or less." If that is not true then how did you allow those limits be published?

oyarsa
      Participant

Does anyone happen to know the actual plug size for the TF power supply?  It is usually stated in millimeters, ie 2.5 x 5.5 mm, etc.

Thanks  Yes

Hi,

All Eventide Factor pedals use a 5.5/2.5mm centre positive DC-plug. We call it Flex type 4 and it's in green colour.

Regards,

Poul Ciok

Josh Fiden

You picked the right one. It's a 5.5 x 2.5mm barrel, center positive.

Regards,

Josh Fiden

Founder / CEO

http://www.voodoolab.com

rstoneham

Hey man,

Just got an email from Poul as follows.

All the new pro units will work in Australia. We also provide the power cord with Australian mains plug. The price incl. shipping is AUD 330.

Would need to order via the website linked email address I expect. I'm not entirely convinced yet and would like to know that others have successfully used multiple factors with the DC10.

DFToone

I bought the CIOKS DC10 to power my Modfactor, and other pedals.  It works great.

nleclercq

Dear Bosses of big gear companies,

First thing first, thank you for your comments, giving me/us hints on which power to use. For the record, I own a product from each one of you 🙂

Each new pedal added in my rig was/is/(will forever be?) a source of tears for the adapter: why is the next pedal always not in the specs of the multi-adapter I currently have? So here I stand with my Eventide PitchFactor, and at the question" which adapter will do it", you guys answer "all of them"; which seems good news.

But which one of you guarantees this?

You must have been conservative in your statements for a reason, and I can understand that: you never know what will be connected to your gear. Some cheap bad adapter, some pedal done by your geeky neighbor, and you cannot guarantee everything that the world has to offer, especially the worse. But can you extend your guarantee to "its' safe to connect this with that", like you say in this forum? If something fries, will you take it up, considering it was high end material and that you did the tests yourselves?

Frankly, I cannot imagine myself coming to my local store and showing an url to request an under guarantee service. And I guess that everybody from the salesman to the distributor will have a good laugh if I tell "well the boss of the company told me so".

Kind regards, and many thanks for your great products!

neozecat
      Participant

I power both TF and Space with my Cioks DC10. It works fine.

nitefly

I have a t-rex chameleon and Im a typical guitarist I really know anything about this crap except how it sounds but it does work and I cant hear any difference if there is not enough power. I bought it pure on the video from the aussie dude who showed two stomps working on it …and it fits under my pedaltrain. As long as everything works (and it has for the last year) Im happy. please dont come back with stories over power,amps ohms and that sort of stuff….I make music not electronic gear

http://www.jaycar.com.au/9vdc-500ma-ultra-slim-switchmode-power-adaptors/p/MP3146

Would this be sufficent for powering an Eventide Space? Cheers! 

nitefly
        auditorymanipulator wrote:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/9vdc-500ma-ultra-slim-switchmode-power-adaptors/p/MP3146

Would this be sufficent for powering an Eventide Space? Cheers! 

Yep! I have a GLabs switcher with two 0,5A outlets on and I ran my Timefactor from one without any problems. remember that the polarity of Eventide equipment is different to your normal Boss type of power stuff. the outside of the plug is the negative and the plus is the pin

Dov
      Participant

I’m building a pedalboard with 3 factor pedals, an H9, and 3 other 9V DC pedals.     I’m having a hard time finding a power supply that can accomadate all these, specifially the 3 factor pedals which have an output of 1200mA.   The Powermax only offers isolated 400mA while Zuma is 500mA.    

I’m not sure how this affects the pedals and hoping someone can advise?

Appreciate the help, thanks!

benriddell
      Participant
      Dov wrote:

I’m building a pedalboard with 3 factor pedals, an H9, and 3 other 9V DC pedals.     I’m having a hard time finding a power supply that can accomadate all these, specifially the 3 factor pedals which have an output of 1200mA.   The Powermax only offers isolated 400mA while Zuma is 500mA.    

Appreciate the help, thanks!

Check out the GigRig modular power system. It’s a bit pricey but can handle a pedalboard upto 5 amps (5000 milliamps) – you’ll need converters for the Eventide pedals though, also sold by GigRig.

I run an Atomic Amplifire (three button version), 2x Eventide H9s, and a bunch of 9v DC pedals off one with plenty of juice spare for expansion. 

Dov wrote:

Did you see comment #3 from Poul Cioks above? The 400mA outputs are enough for the Factor pedals. Check out the Ciokolate maybe?

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.