What Windows Bluetooth devices work with H9?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes What Windows Bluetooth devices work with H9?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      KCStratman
      Participant

What all Windows bluetooth devices work with H9? Has anyone complied a list? Besides bluetooth dongles for laptops and towers, does H9 Control run okay on Windows RT in the Surface or Surface2 and work with their bluetooth or usb?

gkellum
      Participant

There's an H9 FAQ item that recommends a few Windows Bluetooth devices that we've been able to successfully use to pair to an H9 from a Windows PC:

https://www.eventide.com/Home/Eventide/AudioDivision/Products/StompBoxes/H9_FAQ1.aspx#H9c3a

H9 Control doesn't run on Windows RT, because that's not an Intel based processor.

KCStratman
      Participant

Great, thanks! So, it needs to be intel (or AMD?) cpu running full Windows 8.1?

gkellum
      Participant

Yes, one of my colleagues had H9 Control working on a Windows Surface Pro for instance b/c that has an Intel processor.

LA Keys
      Participant

I would also like to mention that since I've had already recently bought an INSIGNIA USB Bluetooth adapter (From Best Buy), I've gave it a try although you mention that "no one at Eventide have ever been able to get the Broadcom driver to install correctly".

I've had no problem with it. It works fine with both my H9 max and H9 Core. (although the range is a bit limited for the setup). My PC is running Win 7, 64 bits AMD  (This is an "older" HP Pavillion, I've upgraded the OS)

I may have been lucky, but just wanted to say for those who already own a Broadcom based bluettoth dongle that it "may" work, as it did for me.Geeked

LA

gkellum
      Participant

Did you install the driver from the CD that came with the device, or did your Windows machine already have the driver bundled in and just recognize it?  Some of us had our computers just recognize the device and it worked without us needing to install the driver, but no one could get the driver to install correctly from the CD.  And there's apparently no support email to contact either for that problem…  I found it a bit frustrating…

LA Keys
      Participant

The first thing is that the driver iteslf is NOT on the CD. There's only 3 files on the CD I got: Autoexec.exe, autoexec.ico and autorun.inf.

Since I don't use autorun I've had to manually run (dble click) autoexec.exe. This is in fact only a link that open a page here:

http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php

From that webpage I've followed the instruction which downloaded a file named: SetupBtwDownloadSE.exe  (4074 kb). I've then run this file, which installed the needed drivers. Added the bluetooth device. Et Voila!

Hope this help Geeked

LA

KCStratman
      Participant

To confirm, I just installed a StarTech USBBT1EDR2 in my AMD Quadcore/Windows 8.1 PC USB port, it was recognized instantly without loading additional drivers, opened Windows bluetooth control panel, "paired" and then "connected" each of three devices entering the ser #s – this took Windows a couple minutes to crunch and grant "connected" status after "paired"- then it took a couple restarts of the units and H9 Control app to recognize all three H9s. Once done, it seems to work great, transferring settings both ways with only a tiny lag compared to USB. It's very nice to be wireless, even across the room to a desktop. The only bug seems to be that every time H9 Control is restarted, the units are re-recognized by ser# and lose their stored custom names: H9 A B C, etc. although a popup message says that the new name will be recognized when the unit is repowered.

spaceJam

Bump.

gkellum
      Participant

Hm… It looks like that FAQ item didn't get migrated over from the old website, AND the server that the old website is running on is down at the moment.  I'll get that information and post an updated link back to this thread though as soon as I can.

spaceJam

Thank you, gkellum.

entreat69
      Participant

I’m trying to use the Bluetooth function on my Dell XPS 15z to connect to my H9 units and tried opening the H9 Control App and clicked on “Manually select a device” which prompted me a choice of “Connect via MISI” or “Connect via Bluetooth”. I clicked on “Connect via Bluetooth” and i was prompted a COM Port which shows COM 1 to COM16. I clicked on each one from 1 to 16 in subsequent tries but i get an error message “H9 Control.exe has stopped working. Perhaps i’m missing a necessary step but can you advice me please? Thanks.

gkellum
        Participant
        entreat69 wrote:

I'm trying to use the Bluetooth function on my Dell XPS 15z to connect to my H9 units and tried opening the H9 Control App and clicked on "Manually select a device" which prompted me a choice of "Connect via MISI" or "Connect via Bluetooth". I clicked on "Connect via Bluetooth" and i was prompted a COM Port which shows COM 1 to COM16. I clicked on each one from 1 to 16 in subsequent tries but i get an error message "H9 Control.exe has stopped working. Perhaps i'm missing a necessary step but can you advice me please? Thanks.

We added that 'Connect via Bluetooth' section as a last resort method of connecting via Bluetooth.  Normally, you'll want to go through the process described in the H9 Control manual of adding the H9 as a device and H9 Control *should* just automatically find it after doing so.

http://ftp.eventide.com/ljdl/www/H9ControlUG/H9ControlManual_ConnectingOnWindows.html#Connecting_to_Windows

We've had mixed reports from people using Bluetooth devices built into Windows laptops.  We heard from two owners of Toshiba laptops in particular with built in Bluetooth devices who just could not get their laptops to connect to the H9 via Bluetooth, but both of them were able to solve their problem by installing the latest Bluetooth drivers for their Bluetooth chips.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.