Where do you run your Modfactor in your signal chain?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Where do you run your Modfactor in your signal chain?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      cacibi
      Participant

Curious where people are placing the Modfactor in their signal chains.

I usually run my trems and such at the end, just before delays – but envelope filters and even phasers I usually run close to the front – at least filters or any effect that's attack sensitive. I don't really want my OD's or fuzzes compressing the signal before it hits these effects.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Hi Cacibi,

looks like we are thinking of the same issues at the moment, I am expecting delivery of my modfacter today and am thinking about just this issue, as well as the pitchfactor when this gets released.

My current thoughts are…..

Guitar>Dynacomp>ModFacter>Keeley DS-1>Big Muff ToneWicker> Pod X3L>FX Send>TimeFactor>FX Return>PA/AMP (FXLOOP in POST config on Pod)

that is my thoughts on the ModFactor and TimeFactor, bit of a shame that I loose the stereo effects of the ModFactor.

PitchFactor wise, I am torn between putting it before the ModFactor for the pitch shift tracking or just before the TimeFactor for the delays.

once i have all 3, I was going to try PitchFacter>ModFacter>TimeFacter in the FX Loop of the POD X3 Live pre and post to see hoe that works.

it is a tough one to call though on paper.

I would be interested to hear how others do this too.

Cheers

BMF

cacibi
      Participant

I know I've seen a gizmo that would switch the order of two effects in the signal chain. Can't for the life of me find it online or remember what it was called – but would be a good way to move the Modfactor around – HOWEVER – one of the reasons I got the Modfactor was to cut down on tapdancing – so I really don't want to be juggling the effect order along with banks, presets, expression pedals, tap tempo aux switches….I'm getting tired just writing about it.

I really think it would have been smart of Eventide to – in this unit at least, put an FX loop in between the filter effects and the trem effects. I wonder if there's a way (and I will just say, I don't know SQUAT about the fine art of DSP effect programming, etc.) to program the Modfactor so that, when operating in Mono – the unused stereo in/out could be used as a signal insert and output between the filter and trem fx?

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

yep, once again I agree with you. I have had enough of pressing this and that.

once I have settled on my setup, I am going to look into using midi to set the various patches for me.

I know my Pod X3 Live has some limited midi functionality, so hopefully I can automate it from the one controller. but having next to zero experience of Midi, i dunno how easy and importantly stress free!

Cheers

BMF

was using in in front of my tube amp which has a strange fx loop, it sounded best in front of that amp, and when in the fx loop it sounded better on instrument level than line level…

now it's in the stereo fx loop of a flextone III XL

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Hi Shane,

so if you are using the ModFactor in the FX Loop of your flextone, are you using any distortion or other pedals before the amp?

We are just trying to find the right order for all this.

My guess is Guitar>Compressor>PitchFactor>ModFactor>Distortion>Amp>FX Send>TimeFactor>FX Return.

Cheers

BMF

IDeangelis

better…

gtr > Comp > Distortion > amp gtr input // FX loop SEND > Pitch F > Time F > Mod F > FX loop RETURN.

-Compression may alter pitch shifting detection precision. Avoid using them together.

best

I

yeah dirt before the amp or the amps dirt, which is before the fx loop i believe…

cacibi
      Participant

This is what I was finding worked best while messing around last night (dirt boxes before MF).

The filters still responded well to attack dynamics – had some issues with distortion in some presets while using the expression pedal.

Very impressed with the Rotary sounds! :-))))))

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

IDeangelis:

better…

gtr > Comp > Distortion > amp gtr input // FX loop SEND > Pitch F > Time F > Mod F > FX loop RETURN.

-Compression may alter pitch shifting detection precision. Avoid using them together.

best

I

Interesting Smile

Thanks

BMF

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Thanks Shane.

Re amp dirt, yes I think the FX Loop is usually between the Pre Amp and the Power Amp. Amp Dirt is usually in the pre amp stage.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

cacibi:

This is what I was finding worked best while messing around last night (dirt boxes before MF).

The filters still responded well to attack dynamics – had some issues with distortion in some presets while using the expression pedal.

Very impressed with the Rotary sounds! :-))))))

Just picked up mine from the post office today, only had 10 mins with it and it is very impressive through my practice amp (Line 6 – Spider Jam)

A great rotary sound is always good to have.

The undulator seems interesting too

Looking forward to conecting it all up to my main rig with the TimeFactor

Cheers

BMF

The_Crow
      Participant

Sound Sculpture makes a switching device called the Swithblade – comes in several models. It's a rack mount unit and you plug all your effects into it. You can progam patches and during the program process can set which effects are on and which order they come in the chain. You can also send part of the patch to the amp input and part to the effects loop. The Switchblade is a bit pricey but it's way cool!!!

Greg

cacibi
      Participant

Here's a DIY solution for a simple order switch:

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/PedalHacker/OrderSwitcher.htm

guitardr

WhWhether it's with Bogner Shiva combo, Fuchs combo, Mesa Boogie Lone Star/Lone Star Special combos: I put my M-Factor and T-Factor in the FX loops, putiing any modulation device before delay/time altering device. Delaying & then modulating a signal (for me) bends and mutates the basic signal a bit too much. Most studios I've worked in do that as well, unless you're looking for an unusual sound. Let your ears and taste buds dictate your preference(s).

goldglob

I know that most studios (and most guitarists) put modulation before delay, and so do most multi-effects boxes (unless they have the option to choose), but my theory is that if you don't want to mutate your signal too much: chorus, flange and tremolo should be after delay, so that the modulation waveform is applied to both the direct and delayed signals at the same time and in the same way. You'll hear your original modulation pulse the same with delay on or off. With delay after modulation you'll have two different modulations (and more if you crank up delay feedback), fighting for the same spot in time, partly cancelling each other out, and heard as one (more complex) waveform which indeed will mutate the signal into a mess. The same theory goes for filter sweeps (phase, flanger and wah), but here we have a dilemma, because they are good sometimes before distortion but delay is definately not. Having said that, I actually prefer filters after distortion if I want to hear clearly the full sweep: with wah up front, the distortion tends to ignore it, just as distortion tends to ignore upstream EQ. Filters up front feed the distortion with changing frequencies: this can be good, but you won't hear a nice defined sweep.
      guitardr:

WhWhether it's with Bogner Shiva combo, Fuchs combo, Mesa Boogie Lone Star/Lone Star Special combos: I put my M-Factor and T-Factor in the FX loops, putiing any modulation device before delay/time altering device. Delaying & then modulating a signal (for me) bends and mutates the basic signal a bit too much. Most studios I've worked in do that as well, unless you're looking for an unusual sound. Let your ears and taste buds dictate your preference(s).

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.