Where does the H9 SysEx Dump file go? How does restoring SysEx work?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Where does the H9 SysEx Dump file go? How does restoring SysEx work?

Tagged: , , ,

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      nickrose
      Eventide Staff

There are no "slots" as such. The way it works is that the H9 will ignore Sysex messages with the wrong ID.

I would STRONGLY recommend that you leave Sysex ID set to the default value on all systems (not just H9). Often, things stop working if you change this.

cljfford
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

There are no “slots” as such. The way it works is that the H9 will ignore Sysex messages with the wrong ID.

I would STRONGLY recommend that you leave Sysex ID set to the default value on all systems (not just H9). Often, things stop working if you change this.

Thanks for the reply. I will be happy to follow that best practice and leave it a the default ID1. I’m still confused about the way I would restore a Dump, though. I interpret your reply as implying that the Dump stays on the pedal but that doesn’t make sense to me in terms of how you would back it up or clone it in that case. Part of my confusion is that I think I remember reading on this forum that someone saw his SysEx files on his PC, after the Dump. But I can’t find that thread now.

Is there a more detailed instructions somewhere I can try to follow?

cljfford
      Participant

I followed the procedure to dump the sysex file, found on page 29 (new version 28) of the H9 user guide. I was connected to a Microsoft surface RT (Win 8.1 Pro) by USB cable. H9 Control connected with the pedal. I dumped ‘ALL’, the lights flashed and then the LED display read “Done”. Now I’m wondering where the data dumped to?

I’m also wondering How restoring SysEx really works, as the next step. Under Restoring Presets and System Setting, it reads, The H9 must be set to the desired SysEx ID number (from 1 to 16). I confirmed that my H9 was set to 1. But does that mean the files are dumped somewhere on the pedal, in one of 16 memory slots? Nothing under  Restoring Presets and System Setting mentions browsing to find the dumped files.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

There are no further instructions, in part because it depends on your setup and what you are trying to do.

The DUMP command causes the information to be sent out the MIDI. Normally you would have this connected to a MIDI sequencer or a suitable computer program (or another H9). This would then be responsible for sending it back when wanted.

onusx

Hey I’m having this exact same issue. I have a Space pedal on one board, and a backup Space I want to setup with the same settings. I followed the instructions which appear to be the same as the H9. I connected to my PC laptop, got a message that the computer recognized the device, performed the dump, saw the pedal send all 99 presets and state that it was complete. I can’t find the dumped file on my PC. There are no instructions in the user guide/manual as to any external “suitable program” to send the files back, nor can I find any info on what settings the pedal needs to be at to receive an incoming backup or file dump. I’m assuming you can do this with the direct update utility by selecting to “update from a file?” I know the H9 software allows you to copy and restore settings from a device pretty easily because I’ve done it with an H9. However, the registration protection is really short sighted because in my case, I’m guitar teching for a band. The pedals are registered to the band members, but I am responsible for backing them up and servicing the boards. I can’t access the Space pedals without the guitarist’s login. I *can* see the device on the update utility, but what next? 

Is it really so crazy to include some detailed instructions on this pretty fundamental procedure? We’re talking about how to properly backup and restore your settings, and the manual is incomplete on how to do this via MIDI. The only walk-through video on this on youtube is in Italian. Come on, guys. 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

This is not going to please you. Sorry in advance.

When the H9 does a MIDI dump, it in effect sends it into the ether.

You need to have a connected receiver, usually a PC (or Mac). What the PC does with the received MIDI dump is entirely beyond our control.

Just sending the dump may have no effect at all. Your would need some MIDI recording software on the PC to capture it.

Hopefully some of our users out there can recommend suitable software.

Richydd

I cant believe in this day and age there are not specific instructions or at least some sort of Tutorial  for bringing the so called “Back Up” patches Back.

Cmon kids Lets go allready.

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Richydd wrote:

I cant believe in this day and age there are not specific instructions or at least some sort of Tutorial  for bringing the so called "Back Up" patches Back.

When you say patches do you mean presets? You can export and save your presets/lists to your PC/Mac/Phone/Tablet, and import them anytime you want.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.