Where is the PF in your signal chain?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Where is the PF in your signal chain?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      grovest

I was just rereading the PitchFactor manual and something new jumped out at me: "Note: It?s usually best to connect PitchFactor after distortion effects, compressors, EQs, and noise gates."

This struck me as counter intuitive. I'm used to trying to give pitch tracking the cleanest signal possible. What is the basis for this recommendation, do you think, and what's worked best for you before? The placement I previously settled on was: PF->od1->od2->fuzz->MF->TF.

goldglob

Having PF before distortion is like playing all kinds of intervals or chords on your guitar into a distortion box: anything but octaves, fifths and fourths will create an intermodulated mess. Placement of compressors, EQs and noise gates is not so critical (in relation to PF), and their placement in relation to distortion (and indeed each other) is another topic, so I will resist the urge to go into that here.

By the way, in relation to MF/TF placement, you might like to read my views on this in the  topic ' Where do you run your modfactor in your signal chain?'

Cheers.

grovest

Shoot, when you put it like that (playing anything but R 5 doublestops through a fuzz), it makes perfect sense. That was easy. 

grovest

Hey Gold, I wanted to thank you again for making me rethink having delay last. Your post made sense and I found a few others (though definitely a minority! Cool) online saying the same thing. Here's one way I found it described :

With a flanger or phaser before the delay, you get a sound like this:

"NYOW-NYOW-nyow-nyow-nyow."

With a flanger or phaser after a delay, you get a sound like this:

"NYA-AH-AW-aw-ow-ow." *

goldglob

That's a great description. Yes, as with anything in life; pedals, strings, plectrums, amps, banking…it's easy to have misconceptions (and really easy to stick with them). Alas, the mistakes I have made.

We should wake up every morning, have a slow look around, and then say "right, let's just rethink this".

Cheers.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.