Will I be able to buy the Timefactor looper algorithm for the H9?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Will I be able to buy the Timefactor looper algorithm for the H9?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author
      jnraine

Will I be able to buy the Timefactor looper algorithm for the H9? I wasn't able to find it in the H9 Control demo store.

Thanks,

Jordan

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Not initially. We are thinking of revisiting it, so maybe later – too early to say.

jnraine

Thanks. Would be very cool if it was available.

rdnzl
      Participant

Hello there,

I am reviving this to ask for an update…

Kind Regards

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

Hi rdnzl,

No date yet, but this is something I'm currently working on.  Do you have an requests as to how we should migrate the 3 button functionality down to 2?  

jnraine

I had a two-pedal JamMan that worked great. If I remember correctly, it worked like this:

While stopped (no loop recorded):

Left Footswitch — Start recording
      Right Footswitch — Tap tempo

While recording:

Left Footswitch — Stop recording/start playback, start overdub
      Right Footswitch — Stop recording, stop playback

While playing:

Left Footswitch — Toggle overdub
      Right Footswitch — Stop playing

While stopped (loop recorded):

Left Footswitch — Start playback
      Right Footswitch (hold) — Clear recording

Is it possible to add MIDI control to all parameters of the looper? I use this a lot with my Strymon Timeline and would love another MIDI-controllable looper on my board. 

coirbidh_99
      Participant

*Now* you're talking!  Lack of a looper algorithm has been my biggest barrier to getting an H9 thus far (I'm still planning to get one soon, but a killer looper would hasten the day).  Some thoughts on where you might go with that:

-Definitely a full MIDI implementation.  That's the only reasonable way to build anything with complex features into this form factor.  The players who want more sophisticated looping aren't going to balk at springing for a MIDI controller if they don't already have one.

-Please capture as many features of the TimeFactor loop algorithm as you can.  I'll say it again: best looping feature implementation in a pedal.

-An alternate control view with large, easy-to-manipulate button transport.  I'm impressed with what I've seen for the Resonator interface – please keep that going!

-For controls, I'd recommend using the Bypass Button as Stop, and the Tap switch as Record/Play/Overdub (switchable on the interface to Record/Overdub/Play for seamless ambient looping).  If you plug in an aux switch, it should be selectable between Record/Overdub (simulating the TimeFactor three-button setup) or Reverse. (Because you *will* have Reverse in this algorithm, right?)

-I'd love to have a setting that makes the Record feature momentary: start recording when I press, stop when I release, with no minimum loop time.  This would be great for glitching, like the Hexe Revolver or the "hold" mode in the Boss DD-6. (I've actually been thinking about picking up a used DD-6 just for this purpose.)  You could implement this as an alternate behavior of the initial Record mode (so that afterward the Record/Overdub/Play button works normally) or a separate "glitch mode", whereby the H9 captures a new loop every time you step on Record, and the Bypass button toggles between "off" and the last recorded loop. (I know that this breaks the "hold TAP to select Preset mode paradigm – maybe this feature only works with an aux switch Record?)

jnraine

I forgot all about the AUX switch! Good call.

Some great suggestions here. I second the DD-6 "hold" feature — I've held onto a DD-6 for just this function. Bonus points if the hold time is predetermined "glitch for 1/4 note at 130 BPM"

Russell, I'm really glad to hear you folks are working on this. It's going to be much appreciated!

Jordan

coirbidh_99
      Participant

So three possible behaviors for the Record function:

-Stomp on, stomp off – the phrase looper standard

-Quantized record: stomp to record for one subdivision at the specified tempo (this mode requires a three-button setup, so that the Play button works as tap tempo when there's no loop in memory)

-Momentary record: record the initial loop only while Record is depressed

Works for me!

coirbidh_99
      Participant

Or, actually, instead of three Record modes, have two settings for Record:

-Momentary/Latching

-Quantized/Unquantized

That gets at all three of the modes I described in my previous post, plus the ability to use the "normal" stomp-on/stomp-off Record mode in a tempo-quantized manner.  You'd probably then want to allow Overdub to be quantized as well, in addition to the TimeFactor's layer/replace and momentary/latching options; this would allow you to quickly drop in rhythmically-quantized bursts of sound or silence, a la the EDP or the Looperlative (see Andre LaFosse and Bill Walker for examples of this technique with each of these devices).  I would settle for a single Quantize control that affected both Record and Overdub, though controlling them separately would be a plus.

lmeier
      Participant

If/when the Looper is available can the loop memory be increased? Is that possible 🙂

Thanks

gkellum
      Participant

Sorry, that's not possible.  The looper is already making the most it can of the available memory…

ljholland

I have no idea if this is something possible considering the physical controls of the H9 but….I have a Boomerang 3.  The BEST feature on that looper is the ability to start off with a tiny loop to set up your rhythm (I usually just use a muted strum).   Then, the tiny loop gets multiplied as you layer on top your full chord progression.  The little loop acts like a metronome as you compose the rest of the chord progression.   What's nice about this is that you don't need to count out measures as your building up loops.  (check out the Boomerang getting started Youtubes for how this works)

coirbidh_99
      Participant

You're talking about a Multiply function.  That's a great feature to have on a looper, but in my experience it's of limited utility when you have less loop time, and given that Eventide has already said that an H9 loop algorithm won't have any more memory than the TF looper (12 sec, IIRC), I'd prefer to see the code space go towards features that are better suited to that situation.  YMMV.

hendrik7

Only 12 sec ? :/ That's really disappointing. I was hoping this would eventually kick off my jamman but 30 sec would be a minimum requirement.

coirbidh_99
      Participant

hendrik7:

Only 12 sec ? :/ That's really disappointing. I was hoping this would eventually kick off my jamman but 30 sec would be a minimum requirement.

I keep hoping for a dedicated Eventide looping device.  Possibly in vain, but hey, I'm an optimist.

Jerra.S
      Participant

Oh yes – that's what I have been hoping for for some time now. A "LoopFactor". I still believe that Eventide would be able to produce some of the best loopingpedals considering the possibilities of the looper in the TF.

gheinrich
      Participant

Yes. Please. 

kmcdona
      Participant

i would love to see an implementation of micro-sampling (granular).

stepped sampling with variation on speed and size of sample. possibly re-triggering. control over grains could be cool too (density, speed, variation, size, etc) 

i think a glitch sampler or a kind of granular delay would be a fun and interesting tool to use live and in the studio. there is nothing quite like that on the market right now other then the red panda particle (which comes close). but its something taht could be taken further and would make for some interesting results. 

just an idea

kevin

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Playback time is determined by the hardware – it could not be changed without you buying a new unit. And, for tedious technical reasons, it would be expensive – this is not a mass-produced PC where you can just buy another memory module. Sorry.

You can increase the time by reducing the quality. There is always a tradeoff.

Lonny Jarrett
      Participant

Any chance to run the looper with midi  CC changes? Then I could assign functions to my program change pedals like ?reverse/half speed/double speed, start/stop, overdub and not have to remember how all these are mapped onto only two buttons. 

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

You should be able to do this as all the knobs/parameters are MIDI CC-able.  The standard Start/Stop/Record were already MIDI CC-able in the TimeFactor, so this will carry forward.  

We're putting a slightly new spin on the reverse/speed  control, in that all of that will all exist on the one Speed knob/parameter where the speed ranges from double speed reverse (all the way left) to double speed foward (all the way right), with everything in between (quantized by the speed resolution knob), and a full pause in the middle.  Since knobs were always MIDI CC-able, you should be able to program this to do whatever you like.  You could also use an expression pedal or an Aux switch, or any combination of the three.  

Lonny Jarrett
      Participant

One feature of the Timeline that I LOVE is that I can loop using a preset and overdub using any other preset. I'm just realizing as I write this that likely the H9 wont do this as it would be committing all resources to looping?

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

Lonny, 

You're correct, the H9 only does one algorithm at a time, and the looper will be one of those algorithms.  

Lonny Jarrett
      Participant

Well, since we are just giving ideas and you Eventide is so creative there are a few features in my looperlative rack unit that would be great to have in the H9 that I haven't seen any where else. One is the ability to hit  a button and have a phrase chopped up and randomly reassembled i segments of my choosing (short, medium, long). It actually makes for some awesome new ideas.

It would be great to be able to save loops.

And since we are dreaming. How cool would it be to have each loop/overdub recorded on a separate track on a digital recorder through the H9 interface to be then manipulated in realtime (virtual real time?:O)) by the Ipad or computers CPU?

JNPMusic

Maybe it's time to look at the tc electronic ditto x2 looper and barrow it's functions. 2 buttons with a knob in the middle…Hmmmmm… Where have I seen this before? Seems to be working great for many users.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You would not believe how difficult the looper is to make..

On the bright side, yesterday I heard it playing back a recorded drum machine, totally in sync (MIDIclock) with the drum machine for as long as I wanted to listen to it. My guess is that most other loopers will not do this.

mrpollack2

I surely agree 🙂

Blaze
      Participant

Hi Nick

Keep up the good work.. often the most satisfying results require the most work and concentration.

I'm looking forward to the end result.. any idea of a rough release date?

Cheers,

Doug

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.