Windows 7 – VSIG – Keyspan USB to COM – Macs NEWS!

Home Forums Products Vsig and Preset Development Windows 7 – VSIG – Keyspan USB to COM – Macs NEWS!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      IDeangelis

Hi folks

I did this test myself and want to share the results as they may be useful to both Windows and Macs users.

The test has been done on an iMac 3.06 GHz 24" running SLeo 10.6.2 – WMWare Fusion 3.0.2 – Windows 7 Ultimate – Keyspan USB to SERIAL adapter USA-19HS.

Here we go:

-First I have installed Vsigfile 2.4.9 BETA on the virtual machine running Win7 Ultimate.

-Then hunting for the Keyspan adapter drivers here:

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=518&EID=13384&txtModelID=3914

You'll see a poorly labeled : Model USA-19HS Keyspan Driver – Windows.

(exe –

7 Mb
      )

It doesn't even say which Windows version…but I assumed it's for newer MS OS versions are there's a driver for older ones, clearly labeled.

Upond downloading this driver, it showed up as driver 3.7S for Win 2000/XP/Vista. Apparently not Win7 support yet. I gave it a try as most drivers working for Vista may work on Win7.

Installed the driver. Skipped registration.

-Connected to the iMac USB port an USB cable already plugged into my Keyspan adapter. Connected the serial cable to the Keyspan and to the H8000FW.

-Look for the Keyspan serial adapter assistant under Programs folder > Keyspan folder. this is a utility you need to use to configure the COM port. At first launch it showed "No Keyspan connected"…. so I went back to the Mac anc checked VMware Fusion Settings for Win7 virtual machine. Under USB devices all USB things were listed, including the Keyspan. I just had to check the Keyspan and it was immediately installed on the virtual machine (Win 7).

-To double check this you can right click My Computer icon in Win7 and click on Properties then on Device Manager. Under Ports (COM and LPT) I had COM 1 and 2 AND Keyspan USB Serial Port as COM 3. Obviously this iMac sees 2 internal unused COM ports. The Keyspan new COM port is also now visible under the Keyspan assistant application.

-to correctly configure Vsig, launch it, skip the request to GET MIDI database, click on Preferences > COMMS Setup and choose COM 3 (in my case that was the COM# to choose; it may be different on other Macs), then set COM port parameters values to match the H8000 (or any other Eventide supporting Vsig) MIDI > serial setup parameters.

-then GET DBASE under MIDI in Vsig. The Virtual Machine will get the modules database from the Eventide and…voilà…you're ready to work with a Mac+Win7 under Fusion+Keyspan. I'm sure this will work on a native Win7 machine too, being a PC or a MAC using Bootcamp.

Hope this helps

Italo

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.