WISH: Add function to “unused” ULTRATAP knob when “chop”=off

Home Forums Products Stompboxes WISH: Add function to “unused” ULTRATAP knob when “chop”=off

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      apalazzolo
      Participant

First let me say that I’m a huge fan of the H9.  I’ve used my H9 for a year and have learned a lot from this discussion forum.  I also like that Eventide respects its users enough to consider user requests (thanks for that).  Here are my two thoughts (both live-use related):

1.  Others have previously asked that the output level slider be controlled by an expression pedal.  They wished they could use an expression pedal to boost for a solo and maybe even enlarge the delay at the same time.  I’ve read that this can’t be done with the output slider and I accept that.  However, volume/level control is very important in a band setting so this is extremely desireable.  Also, EQ COMPRESSOR has a similar “trim” control that does provide this important functionality.  As a result that algo makes a great compressor/boost/overdrive for live use.

Now, ULTRATAP has one control that is unused when the “chop” control is set to off.  It’s even in the same location as the “trim” control from ULTRATAP. I’d like to suggest that this unused control adopt the “trim” function from EQ COMPRESSOR when “chop” from ULTRATAP is off.  That would provide the volume control in a delay algo that has been repeatedly requested in the past.  True, it won’t be universal like expression control of the output slider would be, but we could at least use the ULTRATAP delay algo this way.

2 (alternatively).  Another feature that would very useful is the ability to have expression pedal control over the input level into a delay (while not affecting the level of the dry signal at the output).  The benefit is that a player can accent selected phrases by selectively applying (typically long) delay/echo in real time with an expression pedal.  I don’t think the H9 offers this (am I wrong?) and it is one feature I miss since I transitioned to the H9.

As an alternative to suggestion 1 above, it would be great if the above-mentioned “unsed” ULTRATAP control could be an expression-pedal-controlable “input level” control for the delay (while the “chop” control is off).  This too would be a great live use feature to add to ULTRATAP.

I don’t know how many other algos have “unused” knobs that could have these features as well, but I’d be glad to seek them out and report back if you’d consider adding one or both of these features elsewhere too.  Let’s put those unused knobs to work!

Many thanks for considering these suggestions.

apalazzolo
      Participant

FYI: The “unused” control in ULTRATAP appears to be the only unused control in an algorithm with delay. So this appears to be the only location to possibly add either feature to an existing algorithm.

Also, I note that the default state of either of the suggested controls could be unity gain.  I believe that would ensure backward compatibility with factory presents.

Thanks.

apalazzolo
      Participant

Hi,

Could someone from Eventide please comment about these suggestions (yes, no, or maybe)?

Thanks.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.