Wish list for H9

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Wish list for H9

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author
      Billy Foppiano
      Participant

Also. When ya'all do the update, it'd be REALLY nice to be able to PRINT out (or be able to save an array ) of the patches, like about a hundred…… Having them in a scrollable 10X10 list isn't handy at the gig. I HAD a printing of all my patches in FactorLib in my iPad, sose I could locate the patch I might need. 

Jes beggin…

marcusm750

+1000000  Yes, it would be nice to be able to generate recall sheets from print outs via the H9 Control.

My list again:

1)  Uni-Vibe, Uni-Vibe, Uni-Vibe, Uni-Vibe…

2)  Dynamic Distortion 2 w/ Forced Feedback

3)  sitar emulator

Still diggin' the EH Ravish Sitar pedal but I shoulda had an H9!  [slaps forehead]

Gary Crosby
      Participant

Even though the H9 can do so much, we always want more! LoL

1- Acoustic Simulator
      2- Sitar Simulator
      3- Uni-Vibe
      4- Alternate Tunings (probably not possible, but would be cool)

camilok
      Participant

Uni vibe is tough, I bet.  The effect is totally ruined by any kind of digital ‘sheen’.  That almost imperceptibe digital noise is why I had to drop my Mobius finally.  That vibe sound just got to me in the end, along with a couple of others.  I dont mean to bash it, it is a great pedal and has its place on many a board.  Just not mine anymore.   I love the way the H9 doesnt present that kind of audio artifact throught my gear.

Is this the part 2 wishlist thread?  Dont we have one already?

stb1

I would like a compressor plus a delay for my country presets.

Also a compressor plus a chorus for my 80’s rock ballad presets.

And/Or why not a compressor plus a chorus plus a delay… (like the space time but a compressor instead of reverb)

In my case, I always used the reverb of my amp.

joegrant413
      Participant

I have general wishes — not for any specific algorithm:

– Better guidance on how to learn to use the H9 from a musical or tone-crafting viewpoint. Right now, it’s pretty algorithm-centered. I want general guidance on how best to figure out what to dive into. Especially starting out, it’s like being thrown a chemistry set and told to start mixing up something cool.

– A smoother way to save things. It’s clunky. As a user, I want to save things and directly place it into a preset, especially when I’m using my iOS devices.

– On my iOS apps, some kind of dummy dry guitar signal to feed into the demo apps. There’s a lot of times I have some free time, pull out my iPhone, and would just as soon check out some algorithms. Or I read about some algorithm settings and want to check them out. But I don’t have a signal (a guitar and amp) handy. If the H9 apps played with AudioBus or other such apps, that would do it.

– Smoother way to share presets. It’s all disconnected now. Shared on DropBox, or screenshots on website, whatever. Ideally, I’d see a preset, have a way to hear it, and save it as my own, all while waiting for a bus on my iPhone, with no guitar in sight. Again, having a dry guitar signal or two on hand would help here.

Feel free to pick my brain. FWIW, I’m a UX Designer, and I’m always thinking about smoother UX stuff. Of course, the H9 / iOS apps are pretty darn innovative wrt UX already!

Thanks,

– Joe

joegrant413
        Participant
        joegrant413 wrote:

– On my iOS apps, some kind of dummy dry guitar signal to feed into the demo apps. There’s a lot of times I have some free time, pull out my iPhone, and would just as soon check out some algorithms. Or I read about some algorithm settings and want to check them out. But I don’t have a signal (a guitar and amp) handy. If the H9 apps played with AudioBus or other such apps, that would do it.

Hmmm…. it’s the next day, and I just realized it’s impossible for the H9 app to do anything to handle a dummy dry guitar signal without, of course, being hooked up to the H9 itself! So I have to mostly take that idea back. But, still, to have the H9 app  work with AudioBus could be very cool and open up all those possibilities in the iOS music-making app world. But that also implies dealing with audio input or outputs via Bluetooth. Another kettle of fish.

Thx

I would like to see a global setting for the polarity of expression peddal action ie. Heel = up, Toe = Down or Heel = Down, Toe = Up for control. Some algorithims allow you to set inverted control, but others that are set to use the expression pedal have the setting locked out.

stb1

My main wish is to be able to change the output level of a preset with XYZ fonctionality.

grosson
      Participant

Hi H9 community !

It would be nice IMO to have a low level setup for heel position, specialy when used with other H9 parameters controls.

Hoping my english is quite clear (I’m french).

Thank you

Le H9 est une bombe !!

Bodde
      Participant

I would like to have the H9 Phaser algo revised/updated. I have trouble getting good classic old school Phase 90 type of sounds out of the H9. I also have an MXR custom script phase 90 and that pedal sounds much better to my ears than the H9 algo. Would be nice if I could leave that pedal at home.

Anyone here that was able to fully recreate that Phase 90 sound?

brock
      Participant
      Bodde wrote:
      … I also have an MXR custom script phase 90 and that pedal sounds much better to my ears than the H9 algo. Would be nice if I could leave that pedal at home.

Anyone here that was able to fully recreate that Phase 90 sound?

Someone had asked here earlier about “ClassicFactor” algorithms / presets.  I put in some limited time on phase, flange, delay, and filters (for the H9) that I could compare side-by-side with my vintage effects.  Now, my Script 90 is currently looking for a little love on my workbench, so I can’t recheck this preset right now.

Expression Pedal Heel:  INTENSITY  25 SPEED  0.25Hz

Expression Pedal Toe:    INTENSITY    SPEED  8.25Hz

The overall SPEED range is accurate, although the taper is scaled differently than the hardware knob on the Phase 90.  I dropped the INTENSITY (feedback) as the SPEED increases … personal taste / judgment call.

This next preset is from a 1:1 comparison with my MXR Flanger (complete with power cord).  No doubt that I put this one together around the same time period.  As I recall, if you adjust the SPEED to 0.80Hz, it will mimic the M-117 with all knobs set to 12:00 noon.  [Use MODFY DLY O/P for ‘MANUAL’, and DEPTH as ‘WIDTH’].

Expression Pedal Heel:  SPEED  0.10Hz

Expression Pedal Toe:    SPEED  10.00Hz

Bodde
      Participant

Thanks Brock! Just tried your presets and I like them. What I am looking for is the “For the love of Money” Anthony Jackson bass sound from the O’jays. That was a Phase 90. When I use my Phase 90 pedal I get that sound instantly by setting the speed knob to 35% (4 0’clock) or so. On the H9 it is somewhat harder to recreate. I changed your settings as follows and I was closer but still not 100% satisfied. Depth: 56, Speed: 0.92Hz. Rest the same as your preset. Any more ideas how to come closer to that sound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj-jPJK8DEE

brock
        Participant
        Bodde wrote:
        … What I am looking for is the “For the love of Money” Anthony Jackson bass sound from the O’jays. That was a Phase 90 …

Are you sure about that, Bodde?  I think that one was a Maestro PS-1a Phase Shifter – a six-stage.  Beautiful phaser … I had one for years, and stupidly got rid of it, when I was downsizing.  Only 3 fixed speeds – if you discount the ‘inertia’ ramping – so it should be easy enough to nail down the rate (probably SLOW PHASE, or possibly MEDIUM PHASE).

FETs, and no true bypass, so a simulation might benefit from a little tube-style distortion, and high EQ rolloff / lowpass filtering.  We’d be trying to duplicate a unique Oberheim analog(ue) design here, but I’ll give it a shot when I get back in front of my pedalboard.

brock
      Participant

I’ve just read in a few places where that phase shift was post-processed in the studio.  Ironically enough, an Eventide Clockworks Instant Phaser.  That rack unit was available to me in the first recording studio I apprenticed at, and I’ve been chasing that tone ever since.  This might prove to be more difficult than it seemed at first glance (nailing it 100%).

Bodde
      Participant

ok, good info Brock! I thought it was a Phase 90 but apparently I was wrong. However I think the Phase 90 can give me that sound and I have trouble getting that out of the H9. I get in the ballpark but not nailing it 100%.

brock
      Participant

Hey, Bodde:  You’re using a pick for this, right?  I have no doubt that a Phase 90 can come close, with how you can drive the Script to ‘distort’.  I don’t know which of the conflicting online reports are correct.  Best I can determine, the timeline goes something like this:

• Maestro PS-1 release  (1971)
      • O’Jays ‘For The Love Of Money’ release  (1973)
      • MXR (Script) Phase 90 release  (1974)
      • Eventide Clockworks Instant Phaser release  (1975)

If that holds true, it’d have to be the Maestro / Oberheim phase shifter.  I haven’t been able to experiment any more yet, but you might want to up it to 6 STAGE in the H9 Phaser.  It might give the preset that extra ‘gulp’ (along with some careful INTENSITY tweaking).  A little manually gated echo & mild distortion wouldn’t hurt.

eustacius
      Participant

I would really like to see a

Stutter

Bitcrusher

Granular delay

I think it is an obvious deficiency in the H9. Seen it pop up on forums once in a while and still hoping. It could be in one effect or it could be three different effects. From a selling pov it does make sense, I believe, as especially bitcrushers have become fairly popular in stomp format (and some pretty good ones out there), stutters are found but perhaps even more often in vst, but it is very useful both for guitar/bas players, keybordists and vocalists (especially beatboxers would be tempted to go for the H9). Granular is just such a cool effect. Currently only Red Panda to my knowledge has a stompbox that really goes into that territory (and it’s cool – and they have just announced an update), but to have it in the H9, would be one of the points why I would still consider it a superior pedal.

JCR
      Participant

I removed my Strymon Flint pedal from my pedalboard to make room for a second H9, but I am really missing the Flint Harmonic Tremolo. The H9 Bias trem is very good, but I do not understand why they did not put in a Harmonic Tremolo too into that algorithm.

So I’ll ask for a Harmonic Tremolo for the H9…

bohan
        Eventide Staff
        JCR wrote:

I removed my Strymon Flint pedal from my pedalboard to make room for a second H9, but I am really missing the Flint Harmonic Tremolo. The H9 Bias trem is very good, but I do not understand why they did not put in a Harmonic Tremolo too into that algorithm.

So I'll ask for a Harmonic Tremolo for the H9…

You may try Vibrato and Harmodulator algorithms in H9 for harmonic tremolo effects.

JCR
        Participant
        bohan wrote:

JCR wrote:

So I’ll ask for a Harmonic Tremolo for the H9…

You may try Vibrato and Harmodulator algorithms in H9 for harmonic tremolo effects.

One or two examples for a sort of harmonic tremolo would be nice, I can’t get the sound…

bohan
        Eventide Staff
        JCR wrote:

One or two examples for a sort of harmonic tremolo would be nice, I can't get the sound…

For the Vibrato algorithm, you may check out those factory presets in H9 Control. 

For the Harmodulator algorithm, you need to set the Pitch A and B to Unison, set the Mod Depth to a small value (like 30c or m2), and Shape parameter to SINE or TRIANGLE, then you should be able to get some harmonic tremolo sound.

JCR
        Participant
        bohan wrote:

JCR wrote:

One or two examples for a sort of harmonic tremolo would be nice, I can’t get the sound…

For the Vibrato algorithm, you may check out those factory presets in H9 Control. 

For the Harmodulator algorithm, you need to set the Pitch A and B to Unison, set the Mod Depth to a small value (like 30c or m2), and Shape parameter to SINE or TRIANGLE, then you should be able to get some harmonic tremolo sound.

The Harmodulator settings sounds like the micropitch algo. The vibrato settings sounds very univiby, but not like a harmonic tremolo at all. So it could be a nice new and very usable algo, or an addition to a univibe algo (if Eventide is working on it…)  🙂

brock
        Participant
        JCR wrote:
        The Harmodulator settings sounds like the micropitch algo. The vibrato settings sounds very univiby, but not like a harmonic tremolo at all. So it could be a nice new and very usable algo, or an addition to a univibe algo (if Eventide is working on it…)  🙂

Add an internal LFO to the Sculpt algo.  You’d have to cram in RATE, DEPTH, and SHAPE controls, while losing compression and filter / boost parameters.  As it stands, you’ll need external expression pedal / MIDI LFO for manual & automatic sweeping.  Craft the appropriate frequency spectrum(s) in the EQ CURVES page.

http://surfybear.weebly.com/uploads/1/3/6/2/13625127/8696942_orig.gif

https://www.eventideaudio.com/community/forum/stompboxes/sculpting-some-spectral-panning-fx

NickPC
      Participant

I would really like to be able to access the Performance Switch functionality via a press of the Encoder Knob on the H9.

For example, using the H910/H949 Algorithm, I’d like to be able to use the ‘Repeat’ Performance Switch without having to access it via the H9 Control App, or an Auxiliary switch pedal. I’m a keyboard player so am trying to keep my already unwieldy rig to a minimum.

Thanks!

camn
        Participant
        NickPC wrote:
        I would really like to be able to access the Performance Switch functionality via a press of the Encoder Knob on the H9. For example, using the H910/H949 Algorithm, I’d like to be able to use the ‘Repeat’ Performance Switch without having to access it via the H9 Control App, or an Auxiliary switch pedal. I’m a keyboard player so am trying to keep my already unwieldy rig to a minimum. Thanks!

You got any free midi buttons on that keyboard of yours, you could probably program the Hotswitch to it..

NickPC
        Participant
        camn wrote:
        NickPC wrote:
        I would really like to be able to access the Performance Switch functionality via a press of the Encoder Knob on the H9. For example, using the H910/H949 Algorithm, I’d like to be able to use the ‘Repeat’ Performance Switch without having to access it via the H9 Control App, or an Auxiliary switch pedal. I’m a keyboard player so am trying to keep my already unwieldy rig to a minimum. Thanks!

You got any free midi buttons on that keyboard of yours, you could probably program the Hotswitch to it..

Thanks for the reply. Only one of my keyboards is young enough to have MIDI (!) but I’m using it already to connect other gear. I’ll try and work something out but yeah, having eg. in the H9 Settings an option to change the functionality of the Encoder knob from ‘fine tune increments’ to ‘Performance Switch’ would make things a lot easier!

mustafaicil
      Participant

A noise gate that can be used along with all the algorithms – a global one not limited by single algorithm usage.

Send2george2

I’d like h9 control to have a search function. Took me a long time to find teenage wasteland for example. New it was in there somewhere …. I had to page through all the algos to get there.

gkellum
        Participant
        Send2george2 wrote:
        I’d like h9 control to have a search function. Took me a long time to find teenage wasteland for example. New it was in there somewhere …. I had to page through all the algos to get there.

We'll see if we can't get to that soon.  We've been wanting to add that feature as well as a favorites feature, and I think we could do both of those things in a similar way.

Birdfinger
        Participant
        Send2george2 wrote:

After spending considerable time with the unit, I second this request!

mustafaicil
      Participant

It would be great to have a polytune tuner which lets you strum all the strings and tune at once like in TC Electronics Polytune pedals. It should be possible easily with the processing power of H9.

bansta
      Participant

UNI-VIBE! Still any trace? :(((

lemonengine1
        Participant
        bansta wrote:

UNI-VIBE! Still any trace? :(((

Seriously! I’ve seen tons of requests for a realistic UNI-VIBE!!!!! C’mon Eventide!!! Let’s light this candle!!

mustafaicil
      Participant

Here is a wish which I am sure is the wish of many people. Having effects trails when H9 is bypassed in Relay Bypass mode. I prefer to use it in this mode for uneffected true bypass signal path but not having effect trails makes it useless. Technically it should be doable.

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        mustafaicil wrote:
        Technically it should be doable.

Alas, it is not do-able. Technically or otherwise.

The whole purpose of relay bypass is that the unit is switched out of circuit – in effect it is no longer present.

You have a choice between relay bypass, or dsp bypass.

In the first case, it is not there when bypassed (so no trails or other features).

For dsp bypass, the unit is there, so can do stuff.

mustafaicil
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:
        mustafaicil wrote:

Alas, it is not do-able. Technically or otherwise.

The whole purpose of relay bypass is that the unit is switched out of circuit – in effect it is no longer present.

You have a choice between relay bypass, or dsp bypass.

In the first case, it is not there when bypassed (so no trails or other features).

For dsp bypass, the unit is there, so can do stuff.

Why not? The bypass, even if relay, is activated by software. If not, we would need to enable relay with a physical switch not software setting. That means in relay mode, the relay bypass can be enabled after the trails die out.

question
        mustafaicil wrote:

I guess you know what a relay is, i.e. an assembly of flexible metal conductors : ) So in relay mode input sockets practically become hardwired to output sockets. If you want to inject the trails into this path you would need a mix stage, than it wouldn’t be true bypass anymore.

But there might be a middle ground. When you press the bypass switch, software could calculate the duration of the trails and wait for it before activating (or releasing) the relays. I’m not sure if this would be feasible or desirable though. For example if your current fx is a 4 seconds delay, your instrument would be muted during that period  (or what you’ve played for the last 4 seconds would go trailless).

mustafaicil
        Participant
        question wrote:
        mustafaicil wrote:

I guess you know what a relay is, i.e. an assembly of flexible metal conductors : ) So in relay mode input sockets practically become hardwired to output sockets. If you want to inject the trails into this path you would need a mix stage, than it wouldn’t be true bypass anymore.

But there might be a middle ground. When you press the bypass switch, software could calculate the duration of the trails and wait for it before activating (or releasing) the relays. I’m not sure if this would be feasible or desirable though. For example if your current fx is a 4 seconds delay, your instrument would be muted during that period  (or what you’ve played for the last 4 seconds would go trailless).

So when you hit bypass H9 can act like it is in DSP+FX mode so trails continue and you can keep playing through and as soon as the trails finish, software switches to relay.

mustafaicil
        Participant
        question wrote:

Exactly. That would work. This way one can finish the solo and move onto rhythm with just the trails of the solo continuing. No need for what you play at those 4 seconds to have trails.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry – you are really not reading my reply.

I'll say it again. In relay bypass, the unit is completely disconnected. This is what relay bypass means. It can't do ANYTHING. And, this will not and can not change.

If you don't want relay bypass, use dsp bypass – it is there to do what you are asking.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

There is another approach, which I recommend.

Wait until the trails have faded before hitting bypass…..

Cos, bypass is bypass.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry – not going to happen. It is really important that when you hit bypass, the unit is bypassed, without fail or delay.

Theoretically, you could have some kind of system setting that says bypass is not bypass. But then, it has to take accound of the different decay times of the algorithms, allow for the unknown compression of the source material, etc, etc.

Just hit bypass when you are ready.

Or use dsp bypass. That is what it is for.

This will be my last response on this subject.

mustafaicil
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

Sorry – not going to happen. It is really important that when you hit bypass, the unit is bypassed, without fail or delay.

Theoretically, you could have some kind of system setting that says bypass is not bypass. But then, it has to take accound of the different decay times of the algorithms, allow for the unknown compression of the source material, etc, etc.

Just hit bypass when you are ready.

Or use dsp bypass. That is what it is for.

This will be my last response on this subject.

I understand. Thanks for the explanation.

bansta
      Participant

1. User defined pattern for the arpeggiator would be rad!

2. And of course UNI-VIBE!!! 🙂

3. MIDI-controlled input level, wich remains active in bypass (no, it doesn’t stay active now, doesn’t matter, wich bypass mode you are uisng)

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        bansta wrote:

3. MIDI-controlled input level, wich remains active in bypass (no, it doesn't stay active now, doesn't matter, wich bypass mode you are uisng)

Probably not. We kinda think that bypass should mean just that. Obviously relay bypass has no gain options, but dsp bypass should probably be the same (consistency, hobgoblins, etc).

In my view, an effect pedal should not be responsible for setting your overall volume, handy though that might be.

question
        bansta wrote:

1. User defined pattern for the arpeggiator would be rad!

Couldn’t agree more. Most significant reason for my H9 purchase. Also probably one of the most unique algorithms with a potential of positioning a H9 differently from the vast amount of alternatives (in terms of out of the box effects).

I really wonder who in the team came up with that genius idea then developed the algorithm. Ok, there’s the beauty of other signature effects like black hole etc., but arpeggiator is another ball game.

It works great as is but oh wouldn’t it be greater if it had more presets, let alone custom ones?

In a previous post I almost offered a bribe, like make more low octave presets and I might pay. Make that crowd funding thing if resources are so tight.

But there was no interest and time has passed and now I’m looking at another option (hint: a pedal named after a certain woman) for these kind of things (like effects also for non-guitar playing customers).

Cheers

bansta
      Participant

1. List view in the H9 control: the weird preset matrix is a waste of limited screen place

2. Maximising of the H9 control window without shifting it to the screen position X:0-Y:0 (upper left corner)

3. Real maximising of the H9 control window using ALL screen.

bohan
        Eventide Staff

1. List view in the H9 control: the weird preset matrix is a waste of limited screen place

We released a new version weeks ago which added a feature that you can see 16 or 25 presets on one page. Have you tried that?

2. Maximising of the H9 control window without shifting it to the screen position X:0-Y:0 (upper left corner)

3. Real maximizing of the H9 control window using ALL screen.

What do you mean specifically? You can make the window bigger and drag it to anywhere. Are you using the latest version? 

mjahoger
      Participant

Can someone from the Eventide staff inform us whether a Circular Delay (or a 4 or 6 tap delay with time, feedback, level, panning and diffusion control over each tap) is in the planning?

demyani
      Participant

I made a Bidule patch for doing this with my laptop, but woud love to be able to map the “randomize parameters” function to a hardware controller…

Wallower

I’ve seen others request this as well.  One of my two H9s is setup using the pre/post feature… the “pre” position is early in my FX chain, the “post” position is near the end.  I typically use algos in its “post” position.  Thus, when auditioning factory presets, etc, I’d love to have it default to “post.”  Currently that’s not possible.  Every preset other than my custom made ones defaults to “pre,” and I have to switch it manually.

This would be a simple fix but a big timesaver!

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.