WISH: Longer Delay times for H9!

Home Forums Products Stompboxes WISH: Longer Delay times for H9!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Bodde
      Participant

Right now the maximum delay time for most algos is 3000ms (or less for some algos). Wish it would increase to say 16 seconds. I do a lot of Fripp style soundscaping and 3000ms is much too short for that. Now I am forced to use other gear for this.

Sure you can use the Looper algo for this by setting feedback to a lower value but I prefer delay-style looping. With the looper you don't have the option to modulate the loop or to pitch shift it (besides usual the 1/2 and 1/4 speed or cromatic, but that's different). Not the mention not having dual delays. Image what you could do with 16 seconds delay in the pitch algos. This would turn the H9 in soundscape heaven.

Is it even possible for the H9? or am I asking too much?

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

The hardware limit (actual size of RAM chips) on full-bandwidth delay time is a little over 6 secs.  We usually have dual delays with independent feedback, so each one gets half of the RAM resources.  

It's possible to do an algorithm with a single delay line of 6 secs.  You could even have multiple taps off that delay, just not independent feedback around each one.   

Bodde
      Participant

ok, thanks for the reply!

Too bad there is not more delay time possible. Would greatly enhance the soundscape possibilities for the H9. So I have to do this stuff with other gear. I already do so no problem there. But it would be nice if I could use the H9 for that also. I thought because the looper has long delay time that that could also be possible for the delay (or even pitch) algos.

spaceJam

bodde:

I thought because the looper has long delay time that that could also be possible for the delay (or even pitch) algos.

I've been thinking of the same for years…

And I haven't find a reasonable explanation yet on why these modern/expensive delay/loopers pedals have a ridiculously short delay time on its maximum delay time.

See the Digitech PDS 8000 (1989?), Akai Headrush E1 (1999) and Line 6 DL4 (1999).

All these have a reasonable amount of delay time for the experimental musician, of course we are a minority, but I don't see why a looper with feedback control seems to be impossible for these big companies these days.

I'm not a DSP or an Audio Engineer (I've been studying and designing simple stuff  in the last few months, though) but as a Software Engineer I might be able to understand a technical explanation for this mystery.

Bodde
      Participant

spaceJam:

but I don't see why a looper with feedback control seems to be impossible for these big companies these days.

Actually the H9 Looper has a feedback control called 'decay'. But I like delay style looping more than the Looper style looping  because of the points mentioned in the first post (less static, more loop manipulation options etc.).

But I see your point in mentioning that some of the old machines already had much longer delay time more than 15 years or so ago.

StevenCross
      Participant

I realize this an old thread but I just wanted to add myself to that wish list, so to speak. I would love something upward of 12 seconds in a future hardware release, 30 seconds perhaps? 🙂

Honch

Mee Too!!! If  the looper can have say 20 seconds max loop time, I don’t know why the delay max time would be less than that. Ok there’s other parameters thrown in. But I do think 6 seconds could be great, but let’s just add 3 seconds more, and have 9 seconds. Actually 16 seconds which I had on a Lexicon Jam Man from the 90s was a little bit too long, and too much. It takes too long to “establish” the cobweb, and then HOLD it and play on top of it.

On the Strymon TimeLine someone detected a hack, that you could have 20 seconds delay with feedback, but one couldn’t freeze it.

Bodde
      Participant
      Honch wrote:

Mee Too!!! If  the looper can have say 20 seconds max loop time, I don’t know why the delay max time would be less than that. Ok there’s other parameters thrown in. But I do think 6 seconds could be great, but let’s just add 3 seconds more, and have 9 seconds. Actually 16 seconds which I had on a Lexicon Jam Man from the 90s was a little bit too long, and too much. It takes too long to “establish” the cobweb, and then HOLD it and play on top of it.

On the Strymon TimeLine someone detected a hack, that you could have 20 seconds delay with feedback, but one couldn’t freeze it.

16 seconds would be great. Like the EHX. But already happy with 10 seconds.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.