Your MUST have and GoTo Algos

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Your MUST have and GoTo Algos

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      SixGun

Hi all,

I'm contemplating buying more algorithms and want to get the most bang for my buck. To date the only algos I've added are the Resonator, EQ Comp and Flanger.

I use my H9 mostly for gigging with a cover band that does mostly rock and pop… anything from weddings to biker bars…. I'm feeling like maybe a delay would be good but don't know which would be most useful. Digital Delay, Band Delay and Multitap are high on the list. Anyone have more than one of these and find themselves favoring one over the other?

I'm also Jonesing for the Rotary from the mod collection and either ModEchoVerb or Blackhole from the Space collection. Again anyone using any if these and finding one more indispensable than the others? Or is there one I missed that I should put at the top of the list.

TYIA for your input. 

Mcdookus

Modechoverb is my goto algorithm as I can get that algo to sound like my old quadraverb. Next inline is the plate reverb. But I play ambient verve like sounds. If you're just doing covers though, then I can't really see a reason to buy anymore algo's than what it comes with. You've got most bases covered right there. If you want to play around and have some fun though then black hole or modechoverb are great

SixGun

Well it didn't come with the flange and I definitely needed that one. Also do a fair amount of blues which the rotary would be nice for… It only came with two from the delay collection and I've heard some really nice clips of some of the other delay algorithms.

I guess I really wanted to see if anyone else bought algorithms that they just can't get enough of… 

brock
      Participant

Depending on your set list & band configuration, I would think that a gigging musician could make good use of the intelligent harmony algos [Diatonic; QuadraVox].  The first can double as digital delay (at about half of the delay time of other algos).  I'll use the Quad for 5-voice thickened 2nd harmonies, where feedback isn't required.  Reverse delays & reverbs / Crystals / shimmer effects might have their place in your playlist.

That said, my needs for the soon-to-arrive H9 will lean more towards the esoteric [Resonator; UltraTap; Undulator; even Vibrato].  Further down the signal chain, as I'm already well-covered with the standard modulation & time-based effects.

javiceres
      Participant

+1 for ModEchoVerb:

If you know how to set it you can have pristine digital delay (with dedicated Hi or Lo Cut control), nice chorus, nicer flanger, reverb, freeze the reverb, digi delay into chorus/flange, reverb into chorus/flange, and the whole enchilada: ("freezable") Reverb into Delay and then into Chorus/Flanger.

Withi guitars I most often use the master Hi and Low controls to cut both frequencies and have a less hi-fi sound for the Delay and Chorus/Flanger.

Of course you can sync and tap the tempo of the delay and reverb tail.

Another versatile algo is the Spring Reverb algo because it includes a 60s Fender style Tremolo as well.

The Harmodulator is also one of my favourites. You can set it for: beautiful digital twin Delays with detuning and modulation (so you ca use one as a chorus/flanger and one as typical delay); digital Delay + Octave up or down (delayed or not); truly fantastic and highly adjustable Flanger, Chorus, Comb filter; Dual Octave Up/Down a la EHX POG with or without Delay; Micro Detunning (with or hwithout delay); 2 Pitch Shifted Fixed Intervals like fifths, thirds octaves that can be modulated, delayed…;

The modulation of the pitch can be set to subtle values like 9 cents for vibrato, chorus, flange or double tracking fx or in biggerintervals like fifths or octaves for off the wall fx. You can delay de two pitch shifted signals at anytime and add feedback. The feedbak is not re-pitch shited with each repeat, for that kind of sounds there is the H949 algo wich is quite nice and lets you select between: H949, H910 (1), H910 (2) and Modern. 4 different algos that get sounds from "Nintendo" to Hi FI.

As for analog style delays, my favourite is Vintage Delay by far (also great for Chorusing).

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.