- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Rackmount Memory Card / Patches (failure???) Reply To: Memory Card / Patches (failure???)

IDeangelis

>Thank you for your reply.

>However, your statements relating to the card being incompatible
or having >anything wrong with it are incorrect as you will note from
the post I made that >states that I was able to get the card to
successfully work by using a PGM folder >to work with presets. Not a
PRG folder as you stated earlier. Apparently the OS >searches for this
format. I may have overlooked it but I do not see any mention of
>using this specific folder anywhere in the manual nor do I see any
mention >whatsoever of a PRG folder

>I have still had no success installing the OS either 3.1 or 3.5B 
from a memory >card. It acts like it tries and sits there for hours.
No indication that the card is being >accessed is shown past the
initial read. How long should it take? I know that the >card works as
shown above and your observation about size is logical. Some OS's
>have problems accessing memory larger than they expect. I will use
another card >and see if the problem with the upgrades persist. The
upgrade with the serial cable >works fine and is reasonable as far as
speed is concerned. I left the card sitting for >hours with no
success.

Ronnie

your card is definitely not compatible.

CFC is a standard and Sandisk defined such standard. Nevertheless there will always be cards that work and don't work in any electronic product.

As an example I have a Canon EOS350D reflex on which I'm using some of the fastest cards Sandisk makes, the Extreme III. These cards, I have 2 of them (1GB a piece), don't work in Eclipse. The unit hangs forever.

The evidence of incompatibility is that you can't copy or backup presets to it *from* the front panel and you can't install an OS from it, operation that usually takes about a minute.

The fact you have been able to create a folder in the card on your computer and copy downloaded presets to it that your Eclipse can read is not an evidence of full compatibility. If the Eclipse is not able to create itself such folder then you should not use that card. As you know Eventide doesn't support any procedure related to exchanging presets between units, other than sysex transfer. I sent you some info that is user created as a personal favor, including some warning about possible problems. That's for your knowledge.

>Your statements wishing to restrict me to only the 3.1 OS are
essentially moot due >to the fact that it is posted on the web site. I
mean if you want to see if it's broken >in a real world environment
then this is it. If you want to protect it and tell yourself >that
it's perfect and never fails, this is not the place to put it. You
have stated that >your OS is stable and doesn't fail. (3.1 not the
3.5Beta and assuming that your >talking about the upgrades and not the
core OS) I would suggest that nothing is >every 100% stable. That is
unless you have somehow managed to avoid every >possibility that would
cause failure. That can't be correct because you have >instructions in
your manual that tell people what to do if the system freezes. This
is >on page 52 in your index and page 54 if you are looking at page
numbers in >Acrobat. Your reboot is a common practice in the computer
world isn't it?

My suggestion to use and stay on the latest official OS (3.1) is motivated by the fact you are still in your early stage of learning the unit. There is nothing bad about this at all. Testing a beta system is adviced to expert users that know the unit well and don't need it for pro_use while testing, as a beta OS may and will have some problems. Youe learning experience is definitely more proficient on a good system.  I wouldn't install a beta system on anything I have bought last week. Why complicate life when learning is already a lot of work?

My comments on the system and its stability are different to the fact you wanted to backup your system status. It's not about stability here, as system may crash; it's about the need to reinstall a system because of major problems that corrupted it..like on computers. This doesn't apply here because you do not install third parties apps or drivers. There are no conflicts, etc.

So, you can backup presets = your sound settings stored to them.

You can backup SETUPS = your system settings

You can quicly reinstall a system from a working card, thing you won't need as 9 years of product life and thousands of units supported have proved.

Anything you need to put your unit back…up to where it was is simply a presets and a setups backup. 

>You stated that there was a list of compatible card in your
manual. In looking at >Page 20 or 22 if you are looking at the page
numbers in Acrobat it states the >following:

>?The
Eclipse accepts CompactFlash cards of all memory capacities.?

>I do not see a list of ?compatible memory cards? in either the
Acrobat or hard copy >of the manual. Maybe it's on the web site
somewhere. I'll look. I have not seen it >referenced anywhere except
in your statements with the exception of simply >specifying Compact
Flash.

Yes it will accept all capacities BUT my suggestion to stay on a lower capacity card is because you can't save more than 500 presets to a card anyway. And including a hefty numbers of setups you may maybe store to it, a 16 MB card will hold all of these and still have free space. That's what we used when Eclipse came out.

Today CFCards have gotten to very high capacities and prices have dropped, but still worth to stay on the lowest capacity available and save some bucks.

The user manual has a list of approved CFC in its very last pages. I read it on the pdf document, V3.000, page 55. You should have this on the paper manual as well.

Going back to which card type works, you'll see that we advice Sandisk SDCFB series. That's the basic one, the standard card they sell.

As you can see here:

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1029)-SanDiskStandard_CompactFlash.aspx

they still make 256MB cards. These should work.

Other cards/brands will work but there is no way to test them all. So, a forum can help because people can tell what card are they using. 

As far as support request, it's necessary we have the following, when sometimes happens:

-OS version #

-used sample rate and clock

-used I/O connections

– preset(s) name and number on which a problem occurs

-a step-by-step description of what and how something is being done; this is helpful to try to recreate the problem here, following the same exact steps the user has done. If we can't replicate a problem, we can't fix it.

some other details that apply to some specific areas.

In general some of these aspects may or may not be relevant to a specific problem but it's good to know how something is being done anyway.

Very simply, try another card as it makes a lot of sense.