- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Rackmount Eventide H9000 Reply To: Eventide H9000

Given To Fly
Participant
wilkinsi wrote:
Given To Fly wrote:
Will the H9000 have the potential to expand the number of outputs to 24? Specifically, to accommodate surround sound formats up to 22.2?

I’m under the impression this, at least for now, will only be possible by either:

a) Using 8 channels of ADAT or AES, plus 16 channels of USB

b) Using 24 channels of MADI, DANTE or AVB with one of those expansion cards. That is, of course, when they are available.

c) I may be a litle confused here, but the manual suggests ADAT and AES 1-8 cannot be used at the same time? Have I got this wrong? To get 24 channels without USB or one of the expansion cards, it would take ADAT 1-8, AES 1-8 and ANALOG 1-8.

Since I mentioned the expansion cards, I would very much want a Thunderbolt card, compatible with TB1, 2 and 3; Preferably Thru-compatible, so it can be used in a chain.

Yes, something would need to be added one way or another. I asked because 22.2 covers all surround sound formats and their various configurations. The press release describes the H9000 as an “audio Swiss Army knife” regarding its capabilities, if memory serves me (which it may very well not). If 22.2 surround sound control is not a feature that is neither a good thing or a bad thing. I am simply curious which model of “Swiss Army knife” the H9000 is meant to be, metaphorically speaking. The audio market is not clamoring for a $7000 (or $5000) two rack space FX processor. Call it a hunch, but I think Eventide has their ear to the ground and can hear what is coming 10+ years down the road. Also, when companies staffed with intelligent people do something that goes against the grain, they either know what they are doing better than everyone else or made a terrible error in judgement. There is very little middle ground.