Eventide H9000

Home Forums Products Rackmount Eventide H9000

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 99 reply threads
  • Author
      ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Beans have been spilled about this lovely puppy:

1. Is it going to be presented in NAMM 2017?

2. Do we have an estimate regarding the price?

3. Will we be able to call up / edit algorithms within a DAW? Much like loading plugins in a channel strip?

smiley

Very excited about this 🙂

AAgnello
      Eventide Staff

It's been a multi-year effort and  it's not yet ready for prime time. Mid to late '17 is our best estimate. We're not ready to go into detail about the planned features but, in response to your questions:

1. Is it going to be presented in NAMM 2017? No

2. Do we have an estimate regarding the price? Bit more money than an H8000. Blank front panel version should be a bit less than an H8000.

3. Will we be able to call up / edit algorithms within a DAW? Much like loading plugins in a channel strip? We're developing a remote app than can run stand-alone or as a  plugin. 

tmoravan
        Participant
        AAgnello wrote:

It’s been a multi-year effort and  it’s not yet ready for prime time. Mid to late ’17 is our best estimate.

I just wanted to chime in as an owner/user of many of the Eventide boxes over the years (and currently still using a pair of H8000’s) and say thank you to Mr. Agnello for the contributions you have made to audio.  I still remember the first time I heard the Stereo Room preset on the SP-2016 – amazing.  Just made everything sent through it sound better.

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Great! Take your time, I am sure you will deliver an excellent product 🙂

tonyshred
      Participant

Will Vsig be history?

AAgnello
      Eventide Staff

The H9000 can have up to 16  ARM cores (16 DSPs) and lots of audio I/O. Be a terrible waste of such a huge audio processing resouce to not have VSIG (or something like it). I doubt that FCS will have VSIG support but we don't have a FCS date, so who knows?… Right now we have to focus on FCS.

ThreeFingersOfLove
        Participant
        AAgnello wrote:
        Be a terrible waste of such a huge audio processing resouce to not have VSIG (or something like it).

Do you intend to make this future VSig app backwards compatible with the H8000FW?

AAgnello
        Eventide Staff
        ThreeFingersOfLove wrote:
        AAgnello wrote:
        Be a terrible waste of such a huge audio processing resouce to not have VSIG (or something like it).

Do you intend to make this future VSig app backwards compatible with the H8000FW?

VSIG support for H9000 is current plan but as yet unscheduled.

tonyshred
      Participant

Don’t get me wrong, I used Vsig a lot, and wrote the midi virtual racks and others that’s on the H8000, so I do see it’s advantages. 

Navarre

Hi Eventide team, 

I heard that some IOS app will remote the new H9000. But will the H9000 profit a hardware remote like Evenet was for the H8000 ? 

Thanks ! 

Given To Fly
      Participant

From what I am reading in this thread, it sounds like the H9000 will come in multiple configurations similar to the H9’s tiered hierarchy? As for the 16 ARM DSP processors, I have no frame of reference to compare that too. Can you offer safely offer one? 

skywriter
      Participant

Would you be able to tell us if the H9000 had upgradeable DSP’s, or would we have to buy it with a fixed amount of DSP power and that would be the end of it? Perhaps factory upgrades to base unit would be possible?

I have an H3000, GTR4000 and a H8000FW, not to mention 5 H9’s. An additional upgrade to the line would be terrific! I’m not to keen on soft remotes with a blank front panel, although it’s clear that it’s the least expensive way to handle it. Thank you for keeping the rackmount product line alive!

realpancake
      Participant

Considering selling my Orville and a few choice peices to fund this when it finally arrives…. The design update looks fairly clean, I just hope the rotary is as heavy and satisfying as on other units as it looks to be flush here?!

MFPhouse
      Participant

Perhaps they offer an Upgrade Price ?

More than excited !heart

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

How is this coming along? Any news here??

AlphaStormer

MY GODDDD!!!!! WHEN WILL THIS BE OUT!!!!! LOOKS LIKE HEAVEN!!

Ulven
      Participant

Quick question: I have written about 200 of my own presets on my H8000FW, stored on a CF-card.

Is it going to be possible to convert those to the new H9000 if I decide to uppgrade?

AAgnello
      Eventide Staff

We’re working on making that possible. We’ve created a system to confirm that the H8000 presets behave and sound the same when running on the H9000. So far, the majority test OK but there are still some that need work. The challenge comes from the fact that the H8000 is based on a fixed point DSP chip while the H9000 is ARM based. The H9000 is still a work-in-progress.

Ulven
        Participant
        AAgnello wrote:
        We’re working on making that possible. We’ve created a system to confirm that the H8000 presets behave and sound the same when running on the H9000. So far, the majority test OK but there are still some that need work. The challenge comes from the fact that the H8000 is based on a fixed point DSP chip while the H9000 is ARM based.

Thanks. Glad to hear that you are working on it. I currently have two H8000FW and planing to keep one of them. It would be nice to be able to convert some of the presets into the new maschine so that I don’t have to start from scratch programing my own presets.

AAgnello wrote:
        The H9000 is still a work-in-progress.

Take your time 🙂 

skywriter
        Participant

ARM? Too bad you can’t just write the app for the iPad’s ARM and skip the NRE of building hardware.

AAgnello wrote:
        We’re working on making that possible. We’ve created a system to confirm that the H8000 presets behave and sound the same when running on the H9000. So far, the majority test OK but there are still some that need work. The challenge comes from the fact that the H8000 is based on a fixed point DSP chip while the H9000 is ARM based. The H9000 is still a work-in-progress.
        AAgnello
        Eventide Staff
        SkyWriter wrote:
        ARM? Too bad you can't just write the app for the iPad's ARM and skip the NRE of building hardware.

AAgnello wrote:
        We're working on making that possible. We've created a system to confirm that the H8000 presets behave and sound the same when running on the H9000. So far, the majority test OK but there are still some that need work. The challenge comes from the fact that the H8000 is based on a fixed point DSP chip while the H9000 is ARM based. The H9000 is still a work-in-progress.

The H9000 will hold up to 4 quad-core ARMs so that it can run 16 H8000-class algorithms simultaneously. 

markiv2290
        Participant
        AAgnello wrote:

The H9000 will hold up to 4 quad-core ARMs so that it can run 16 H8000-class algorithms simultaneously. 

This looks like a modern architecture compared to the previous rack efforts. Since the H9000 is modular, I guess Eventide could make a version with *less* cores to accomodate setups that do not require that insane amount of processing power (I don’t think I need 16 simultaneous H8000 algos) but would still benefit from the modernized architecture, connectivity & GUI which brings the unit up to current market standards.

Yes that may seem contradictory to what most people would wish in a processor (i.e. ever more processing power), but outside from outboard processing there is another application to the current Eventide lineup of rack units and that is: guitar FX racks. I know it might well not be the target market for Eventide. But still many guitarists own Eventide rack units and swear by them. I myself would certainly be interested in a unit built on that new modernized platform, with the same processing power as the current H8000FW (which is plenty) which woul could be offered at a lower price. Better routing, processing and bigger GUI screen than the Eclipse, in a modern package.

Has eventide considered making such a “light” version of the H9000 ?

AAgnello
        Eventide Staff
        markiv2290 wrote:

AAgnello wrote:

This looks like a modern architecture compared to the previous rack efforts. Since the H9000 is modular, I guess Eventide could make a version with *less* cores to accomodate setups that do not require that insane amount of processing power (I don't think I need 16 simultaneous H8000 algos) but would still benefit from the modernized architecture, connectivity & GUI which brings the unit up to current market standards.

Yes that may seem contradictory to what most people would wish in a processor (i.e. ever more processing power), but outside from outboard processing there is another application to the current Eventide lineup of rack units and that is: guitar FX racks. I know it might well not be the target market for Eventide. But still many guitarists own Eventide rack units and swear by them. I myself would certainly be interested in a unit built on that new modernized platform, with the same processing power as the current H8000FW (which is plenty) which woul could be offered at a lower price. Better routing, processing and bigger GUI screen than the Eclipse, in a modern package.

Has eventide considered making such a "light" version of the H9000 ?

The H9000 is our new flagship. We hope to start shipping the first production units in a few months. It represents the next generation platform for Eventide processors and we do plan to offer simpler versions as we have with previous generations of Eventide flagships. We have not begun development of any other family members and are focused on getting the H9000 out.  

markiv2290
        Participant
        AAgnello wrote:

markiv2290 wrote:

AAgnello wrote:

This looks like a modern architecture compared to the previous rack efforts. Since the H9000 is modular, I guess Eventide could make a version with *less* cores to accomodate setups that do not require that insane amount of processing power (I don’t think I need 16 simultaneous H8000 algos) but would still benefit from the modernized architecture, connectivity & GUI which brings the unit up to current market standards.

Has eventide considered making such a “light” version of the H9000 ?

The H9000 is our new flagship. We hope to start shipping the first production units in a few months. It represents the next generation platform for Eventide processors and we do plan to offer simpler versions as we have with previous generations of Eventide flagships. We have not begun development of any other family members and are focused on getting the H9000 out.  

Oh, I can’t wait! That is good news for us guitarists and rack gear heads!

tmoravan
        Participant
        AAgnello wrote:

As part of your evaluation and porting, are you fixing bugs in the original H8000 programs as you come across them?  (I know for example the vocoders are pretty much broken and looking through the H8000 threads you’ll find other examples of presets that just don’t work as intended).

thanks

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        tmoravan wrote:

As part of your evaluation and porting, are you fixing bugs in the original H8000 programs as you come across them?  (I know for example the vocoders are pretty much broken and looking through the H8000 threads you'll find other examples of presets that just don't work as intended).

We're fixing bugs in the algorithms as we find them and those fixes will be released with the H9000 system software, but we can't promise to back-port the fixes to the H8000.  It's a good suggestion to revisit the H8000 threads to see what's not working right – we'll definitely take a look.

tmoravan
        Participant
        jbamberg wrote:

tmoravan wrote:

As part of your evaluation and porting, are you fixing bugs in the original H8000 programs as you come across them?  (I know for example the vocoders are pretty much broken and looking through the H8000 threads you’ll find other examples of presets that just don’t work as intended).

We’re fixing bugs in the algorithms as we find them and those fixes will be released with the H9000 system software, but we can’t promise to back-port the fixes to the H8000.  It’s a good suggestion to revisit the H8000 threads to see what’s not working right – we’ll definitely take a look.

Good news.  I don’t expect fixes to be backported – all the energy is about moving forward at this point.

I do think it would be a missed opportunity if you guys ended up porting the bugs unfixed as well; that’s why I mentioned it.  Might as well put your best face forward with the new release.

vaultstudio

Status of H9000………since I purchased long time ago an H8000fw that was marketed with plug-in feature that never materialized!

Medoclou

Awesome news! I’ve been waiting years for this! 🙂

I’ve got one request though: Please make it USB-C only (!). Everyone who can afford the H9000 will be able to buy a cable from C to A if needed.

It would be annoying to buy a new product with already outdated USB sockets.

Looking forward to the release!

Medoclou
        Medoclou wrote:

I’ve got one request though: Please make it USB-C only (!). Everyone who can afford the H9000 will be able to buy a cable from C to A if needed.

Any comments on this?

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        Medoclou wrote:

Awesome news! I've been waiting years for this! 🙂

I've got one request though: Please make it USB-C only (!). Everyone who can afford the H9000 will be able to buy a cable from C to A if needed.

Any comments on this?

You will be annoyed. The H9K has been a long time in development, and the hardware decisions were made before USB-C was widely available.

On the plus side, it has multichannel USB audio.

Medoclou
        nickrose wrote:

Medoclou wrote:

Any comments on this?

You will be annoyed. The H9K has been a long time in development, and the hardware decisions were made before USB-C was widely available.

On the plus side, it has multichannel USB audio.

Too bad, thank you for the answer anyway! 

romax
      Participant

the silence is killing me!

Navarre

Hi Eventide team, 

I already did post this once, but had no answer. Perhaps i’ll have more chance this time.

I heard that some IOS app will remote the new H9000. But will the H9000 profit a hardware remote like Evenet was for the H8000 ? 

Thanks ! 

AAgnello
        Eventide Staff
        Navarre wrote:

Hi Eventide team, 

I already did post this once, but had no answer. Perhaps i'll have more chance this time.

Thanks ! 

We do not have plans to design a dedicated remote controller. We are developing a software application for remote control. Like the H9000 itself it is a work-in-progress. The spec for this app calls for versions that run on Mac or PC. We also hope to be able to offer it for mobile devices.  

romax
      Participant

are you able to share a release month/quarter and/or price direction?

AAgnello
        Eventide Staff
        romax wrote:

The H9000 project has been running for several years already. Porting our entire library of DSP functions and effects from optimized code for a DSP chip to ARM was a large effort. We continue to work on opitimizing some key functions for ARM.

We  now have several prototypes running and we're working on the remote app as well as expansion hardware boards to support various audio network interfaces (e.g. Dante). Pre-production hardware has been released. I hesitate to predict when we can ship the first unit to a customer. My guess is that we need another 5 or 6 months. Please note that I've never been a good guesser. 

We have not finalized manufacturing costs so the list price is still in question. The goal is to offer two versions of the H9000. Full front panel version will be a bit more pricey than the H8000 but there will be a blank front panel version that we hope will be at the H8000 price mark or even a bit lower. We believe that if we get the remote app right, a front panel will be nice to have but not necessary for many people.  

Given To Fly
        Participant
        AAgnello wrote:

romax wrote:

The H9000 project has been running for several years already. Porting our entire library of DSP functions and effects from the optimized code for a DSP chip to ARM was a large effort. We continue to work on optimizing some key functions for ARM.

We now have several prototypes running and we’re working on the remote app as well as expansion hardware boards to support various audio network interfaces (e.g. Dante). Pre-production hardware has been released. I hesitate to predict when we can ship the first unit to a customer. My guess is that we need another 5 or 6 months. Please note that I’ve never been a good guesser. 

We have not finalized manufacturing costs so the list price is still in question. The goal is to offer two versions of the H9000. Full front panel version will be a bit more pricey than the H8000 but there will be a blank front panel version that we hope will be at the H8000 price mark or even a bit lower. We believe that if we get the remote app right, a front panel will be nice to have but not necessary for many people.  

I could not help but notice, the H9 pedal and H9 Control App share a similar relationship to the remote app and the H9000 as described above. To a limited extent, was the H9/H9 Control an R&D project for the H9000? Just a little conspiracy for you. 

Speaking of the H9, I do not feel like I am going out on a limb in saying it has been a successful and profitable product for Eventide. Your customer base must have significantly grown because of it (and because of the Factor pedals). You have invested a lot of time and money into H9 Control so I suspect future iterations of an H9, H90, H900 (just suggestions) would be in the works at some point, yes? I just feel there will be a rather large gap between the H9 and H9000 (understandably so because they are two different products) that could be filled with a number of potential Eventide products. I also feel this has occurred to you before now. I just wanted to show my support. 

romax
        Participant
        AAgnello wrote:

romax wrote:

thank you for your feedback, good things come to those who wait (and work)! 

The H9000 project has been running for several years already. Porting our entire library of DSP functions and effects from optimized code for a DSP chip to ARM was a large effort. We continue to work on opitimizing some key functions for ARM.

We  now have several prototypes running and we’re working on the remote app as well as expansion hardware boards to support various audio network interfaces (e.g. Dante). Pre-production hardware has been released. I hesitate to predict when we can ship the first unit to a customer. My guess is that we need another 5 or 6 months. Please note that I’ve never been a good guesser. 

MFPhouse
      Participant

…anyway, take your time!  A good product needs its time. Better than a semi-finished machine … the market is brimming with it. Do you already have beta testers? Perhaps we can help you optimize old Presets from H8000 or/and some new Stuff etc etc  …?

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

I would also like to help, if you need any beta testers.

mtclearwave

It would be really great if ALL parametters (Preset and System) could be saved with each custom Preset. 

vaultstudio

D/A 192k ?   I hope sound is superior to an H8000 and Eventide is not cutitng corners (quantity over quality). 

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

So.. given the fact that the H9000 will have support for Dante which carries signals up to 192 KHz, am I right to presume that the converters will be at a maximum sampling rate of 192 KHz?

Given To Fly
        Participant

So.. given the fact that the H9000 will have support for Dante which carries signals up to 192 KHz, am I right to presume that the converters will be at a maximum sampling rate of 192 KHz?

“The H9000 will hold up to 4 quad-core ARMs so that it can run 16 H8000-class algorithms simultaneously. “

If an H8000-class algorithm means 48kHz than each ARM processor would be 192kHz. If an H8000-class algorithm means 96kHz than each ARM processor would be 384kHz. The H9000 supports Ravenna which has a maximum sample rate of 768kHz which is equivalent to 4 ARMs at 192kHz with each core equal to 48kHz allowing for 16 H8000-class algorithms. This how I think it will break down, but I am only speculating based off what I know about the other technologies involved. Eventide did not give me a spec sheet and I could be completely wrong.    

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

^^ true… but lots of algorithms in the H8000FW are at 96KHz so effectively the number of channels that can be processed is half. There are also the monolithic presets, which take all the computational power of the DSPs. So, it’s still not very clear how the new H9000 will allot computational resources. I am also speculating here, but I think that the max sampling rate will be 192KHz, then audio over Ravenna can carry 4 such signals/channels after being processed by the ARM processors.

Given To Fly
        Participant

^^ true… but lots of algorithms in the H8000FW are at 96KHz so effectively the number of channels that can be processed is half. There are also the monolithic presets, which take all the computational power of the DSPs. So, it’s still not very clear how the new H9000 will allot computational resources. I am also speculating here, but I think that the max sampling rate will be 192KHz, then audio over Ravenna can carry 4 such signals/channels after being processed by the ARM processors.

After reading more about ARM processors, I learned I know far less about everything than I previously thought. Eventide seems to be on top of things though, so I’m guessing they designed the H9000 to be a competent product. yes

wilkinsi
      Participant

I would like to see how much this will cost in the UK, including the MADI expansion card.

vaultstudio

Trad-in price from H8000fw to H9000 since I purchased a H8000fw long time ago that was marketed with plug-in feature that never materialized!

steveevans

Can any information be shared about whether there is an upgrade path from the H8000?

vaultstudio

Since Eventide isn’t given any information to people who have purchased expensive hardware which was marketed as Pro-tools compatible I have sold my H8000fw……..

wilkinsi
      Participant

Can you spread 16 H9 algorithms over 32 channels, routing each algorithm to a specific pair of MADI channels? Or are you restricted to only 4 entry/exit points as it appears on the unit’s screen?

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        wilkinsi wrote:

Can you spread 16 H9 algorithms over 32 channels, routing each algorithm to a specific pair of MADI channels? Or are you restricted to only 4 entry/exit points as it appears on the unit's screen?

Yes, you can do this by creating a session with four FX chains, each containing four algorithms with parallel routing.

wilkinsi
      Participant

Smaller versions of the H9000 would be welcome. I only have 4 mono (or two stereo) FX loops on my Helix and they use 1/4 jacks.

ThreeFingersOfLove

So with the 9000 on the way what becomes of the 8000 and 7600? I’m assuming the 8000 will be discontined but what about the 7600? Being a guitar player I only need a stereo processor, will there be a stereo variant of the 9000 at some point or will the 7600 remain in the line-up to fill that market segment?

Thanks

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Any news about VSig support for the new H9000? Or maybe some other platform where we can build or modify presets?

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff

Any news about VSig support for the new H9000? Or maybe some other platform where we can build or modify presets?

Hi ThreeFingersOfLove,

We are working on a version of VSig that will work with the H9000.  We hope to have it ready for public beta when we start shipping the hardware.

NikosGuitar
        jbamberg wrote:

Hi ThreeFingersOfLove,

We are working on a version of VSig that will work with the H9000.  We hope to have it ready for public beta when we start shipping the hardware.

will this new version of Vsig work for the H8000fw as well?

…i would love to see the Vsig with new modules that will work for the H8000fw!

Thank you!

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        NikosGuitar wrote:

Thank you!

Hi NikosGuitar,

It's unlikely that we will be able to support both the H9000 and the H8000FW in this version of Vsig.  We have ported the existing modules to the new ARM architecture, but it would be a herculean task to back-port the new modules to the H8000FW DSP architecture.  Are there any specific modules you are interested in?

ThreeFingersOfLove
        Participant
        jbamberg wrote:

NikosGuitar wrote:

Thank you!

Hi NikosGuitar,

It’s unlikely that we will be able to support both the H9000 and the H8000FW in this version of Vsig.  We have ported the existing modules to the new ARM architecture, but it would be a herculean task to back-port the new modules to the H8000FW DSP architecture.  Are there any specific modules you are interested in?

Does this mean that H8000 backwards compatiblity is completely of the question in general or it just won’t be supported in “this” version of Vsig?

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        NikosGuitar wrote:

Does this mean that H8000 backwards compatiblity is completely of the question in general or it just won't be supported in "this" version of Vsig?

I think we will be able to continue to maintain a version of Vsig for the H8000FW, but its collection of modules may diverge from that offered in the H9000 (in particular, new modules may be available in the H9000 but not the H8000FW).  In other words, you might expect to have updates and bug fixes to Vsig itself, but not to the modules.

vanceg
        Participant

Of course you can use Emote (or the front panel) to modify settings of any algorithm on the H9K as well as change the routing/patching between algorithms.  And you can save Presets of settings within each algorithm.  All of this can be accomplished in Emote, which serves as a librarian and editor. 

But since you mentioned VSIG I suspect you may be interesting in the deeper editing capabilities that VSIG affords.  

hamidoo

hello dear eventide Folks ,

was wondering if you could comment a little on what to expect from the converters of the H9000 ?

can we expect someting sonically similar to the H 8000 ?

it would really helpful to find out , 

many thanks 

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        hamidoo wrote:

was wondering if you could comment a little on what to expect from the converters of the H9000 ?

The D/A has similar performance to that of the H8000, the A/D is quite a bit better.

wilkinsi
      Participant

I won’t be annoyed.  None of my gear has USB-C. cool

drrd

Hello. I have a question about the new H9000’s ARM processors and ported algorithms. Eventide have been clear in the past that the H7600/8000 were fully ‘fixed point’ processing input to output. Does this change at all with the H9000? Does this new hardware/software change mean a change to floating point? Thanks

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        drrd wrote:

Hello. I have a question about the new H9000's ARM processors and ported algorithms. Eventide have been clear in the past that the H7600/8000 were fully 'fixed point' processing input to output. Does this change at all with the H9000? Does this new hardware/software change mean a change to floating point? Thanks

That's correct – we have ported our DSP code to floating point for the new platform.

drrd
        jbamberg wrote:

drrd wrote:

Hello. I have a question about the new H9000’s ARM processors and ported algorithms. Eventide have been clear in the past that the H7600/8000 were fully ‘fixed point’ processing input to output. Does this change at all with the H9000? Does this new hardware/software change mean a change to floating point? Thanks

That’s correct – we have ported our DSP code to floating point for the new platform.

Thanks for the quick reply but, eek, not the one I was hoping for. I shall keep an open mind/ear though.

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

How many ARM processors does the H9000 have?

How much more powerful are compared to a) the Motorola DSP in the H8000FW and b) current Sharc processors?

What were the factors that were evaluated by you guys at Eventide for chosing the one over other DSPs?

AAgnello
        Eventide Staff

How many ARM processors does the H9000 have?

Four quad core processors. Each core is powerful enough to run the algorithms that run on a single motorola dsp used in the H8000. In other words the H9000 can run 16 algorithms compared to 2 on an H8000.

How much more powerful are compared to a) the Motorola DSP in the H8000FW and b) current Sharc processors?

Not a simple question. DSPs are micros with a special architecture optimized to run signal processing routines. They were first introduced in the early 80s and all of our hardware processors have been DSP based until now. We have always anticipated that, one day, general purpose processors would advance in speed and functionality to be able to handle the kind of things that we need and love to do. Specialized processors like DSP chips are targeted at narrower markets, in the case of DSP mainly telecomm and the development tools tend to be more limited than the tools available to programmers of general purpose processors. Simply put, there are many many more developers writing code for general purpose processors like Intel and ARM than for any DSP chip. And, chip manufacturers have put much more investment in furthering the sheer speed and functionality of general purpose micros. We have been planning for the day that ARM chips would allow us to make the transition and that day has come.

What were the factors that were evaluated by you guys at Eventide for choosing the one over other DSPs?

Mainly the better, more advanced development tools. Quicker development of complicated algorithms, shorter learning curve for new developers. But also the simple fact that chip manufacturers are advancing the state of the art of general purpose processors much more rapidly than DSP. That’s where the money is. For example, Freescale/NXP made a decision to stop development of new DSPs in favor of ARM because the sheer horsepower precludes the need for specialized architecture. We considered SHARC but determined general purpose is the future and, with the H9000 now running our complex algorithms on a single core of a quad device, the future is now. One further benefit of a DSP platform based on general purpose processors is the simple fact that third parties will find it easier to develop new algorithms for our platform. It’s much easier to port a VST plugin, for example ,to an ARM than to a DSP chip.

M-Goldie
        Participant
        aagnello wrote:
        …Quicker development of complicated algorithms, shorter learning curve for new developers. But also the simple fact that chip manufacturers are advancing the state of the art of general purpose processors much more rapidly than DSP. That’s where the money is. For example, Freescale/NXP made a decision to stop development of new DSPs in favor of ARM because the sheer horsepower precludes the need for specialized architecture. We considered SHARC but determined general purpose is the future and, with the H9000 now running our complex algorithms on a single core of a quad device, the future is now. One further benefit of a DSP platform based on general purpose processors is the simple fact that third parties will find it easier to develop new algorithms for our platform. It’s much easier to port a VST plugin, for example ,to an ARM than to a DSP chip.

Great info!

Do you have a release date on this yet? I’m keen on the blank faceplate version… 🙂

AAgnello
        Eventide Staff
        M-Goldie wrote:
        aagnello wrote:
        …Quicker development of complicated algorithms, shorter learning curve for new developers. But also the simple fact that chip manufacturers are advancing the state of the art of general purpose processors much more rapidly than DSP. That’s where the money is. For example, Freescale/NXP made a decision to stop development of new DSPs in favor of ARM because the sheer horsepower precludes the need for specialized architecture. We considered SHARC but determined general purpose is the future and, with the H9000 now running our complex algorithms on a single core of a quad device, the future is now. One further benefit of a DSP platform based on general purpose processors is the simple fact that third parties will find it easier to develop new algorithms for our platform. It’s much easier to port a VST plugin, for example ,to an ARM than to a DSP chip.

Great info!

Do you have a release date on this yet? I’m keen on the blank faceplate version… 🙂

Fair question and I wish we could commit to a specific date. The remote control app is a lot of code and we’ve been working on it for quite a while. We’ll go to beta with the Mac version first and it may not be feature complete at first. We had hoped to hit the date that we mentioned last year, March 31 but I fear it’s likely to slip. We have a few people testing internally and we’re focused on bug fixing/reliability. The H9000 firmware continues to be improved and optimized and that creates a bit of a ‘moving target’ situation.

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Thanks a lot for the swift and detailed response.

Does that mean that as ARM processors evolve, new/faster ones will be able to be installed in the H9000? Sounds like a very open system to me! In any case, I hope everything works out with Eventide’s decision regarding the processors/architecture!

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff

Does that mean that as ARM processors evolve, new/faster ones will be able to be installed in the H9000?

Yes, this is exactly what we were anticipating when we designed the DSP cards as plug-in modules.  We're planning to update them as more powerful ARM processors become available, giving H9000 users an upgrade path without having to replace the IO hardware, front panel, chassis, etc.

AAgnello
        Eventide Staff

Thanks a lot for the swift and detailed response.

Does that mean that as ARM processors evolve, new/faster ones will be able to be installed in the H9000? Sounds like a very open system to me! In any case, I hope everything works out with Eventide’s decision regarding the processors/architecture!

Absolutely. That’s was a key consideration in migrating to ARM. The ARMs reside on four modules which gives us the option of upgrading (in the field) as newer chips become available. Don’t hold your breathe in that regard however. While swapping modules is simple from a mechanical point of view migrating our optimized code to next gen ARMs will wait until the benefit justifies what will invariably be a lot of work. In other words, the goal was to design a platform that would be viable for the long term. FWIW, the H8000 is nearly 20 years old.

cbm
      Participant

As somone who did some sound design and beta testing for the Orville (Andaman) I’m sort of silly-excited about the H9000. Looking through the algorithm list, I was delighted to see my programs have been moved forward onto this new platform.

I think that Eventide made the right choice moving onto a general purpose processor for a modern architecture that should last a good long while.

I do have some questions, though.

Is there still a sampling facility? Is the sample memory still the same?

When will the AVB expansion be released? And how much?

Will there be any early adoptor VSIG availability? If not, is there an ETA for it?

And the big question is when will the H9000 be available?

cbm
      Participant

One more question: is there still monolithic capability? Is that even nescessary with the new processors?

tmoravan
        Participant
        cbm wrote:

One more question: is there still monolithic capability? Is that even nescessary with the new processors?

To follow up — Some of the algorithms on the H8000 run at 48k (using 1 DSP) or 96k (using both DSPs).

Will the H9000 be able to run the 96k versions using 1, 2, or n DSPs?  The reason for asking is I’ve seen rumors that the H9000 will only be supporting the 48k versions and rather than continue speculation, I’d rather hear the answer direct before selling my H8000’s.

thanks,

Tom

tmoravan
        Participant
        tmoravan wrote:

cbm wrote:

To follow up — Some of the algorithms on the H8000 run at 48k (using 1 DSP) or 96k (using both DSPs).

Will the H9000 be able to run the 96k versions using 1, 2, or n DSPs?  The reason for asking is I’ve seen rumors that the H9000 will only be supporting the 48k versions and rather than continue speculation, I’d rather hear the answer direct before selling my H8000’s.

thanks,

Tom

Well, I decided to sell both my H8000’s anyway, so the answer at this point is moot for me, but for others I think it would be good to know.

Is the fact that nothing has been posted mean that you guys skipped over the question or is it because 96k algorithm support isn’t there in the initial release?

There is info in the H9000 manual: 

Note: Certain algorithms will not work when the H9000 is running at a sample rate of 88.2kHz or 96kHz. These algorithms will appear with a red “stop sign” icon in the Algorithm list, and will not load if selected.

A clear discussion would be helpful since the H9000 obviously supports digital I/O and word clock rates of 96k and there is a preset listed (3057, 3058 – Super Ch Strip) with 48k and 96k designators

gkellum
        Participant
        tmoravan wrote:

Will the H9000 be able to run the 96k versions using 1, 2, or n DSPs?  The reason for asking is I've seen rumors that the H9000 will only be supporting the 48k versions and rather than continue speculation, I'd rather hear the answer direct before selling my H8000's.

Hi, sorry, we didn't respond to your original post.  I forwarded it to one of my colleagues, who I thought could give a better answer than I, and he forwarded it to someone else, who's been out a few days this week b/c of the flu going around…  The rough answer is all but about 20 algorithms work on a single DSP at 96K.  I wish I had the list of those algorithms in front of me so we could talk about the specific algorithms.  But one of my colleagues said a lot of them were algorithms that combined multiple effects into a single algorithm, which is something you'd probably do on the H9000 as an FX Chain with multiple algorithms anyway, instead of as a single algorithm.

cbm
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

tmoravan wrote:

Hi, sorry, we didn’t respond to your original post.  I forwarded it to one of my colleagues, who I thought could give a better answer than I, and he forwarded it to someone else, who’s been out a few days this week b/c of the flu going around…  The rough answer is all but about 20 algorithms work on a single DSP at 96K.  I wish I had the list of those algorithms in front of me so we could talk about the specific algorithms.  But one of my colleagues said a lot of them were algorithms that combined multiple effects into a single algorithm, which is something you’d probably do on the H9000 as an FX Chain with multiple algorithms anyway, instead of as a single algorithm.

Only 20-ish that won’t run at 96k? This is good news! That said, I would love to see the list of presets that won’t run @96k. Any chance on making that public?

jackmazzotti
      Participant

VSIg finally on the Mac?

jackmazzotti
      Participant

Will the H9000 have the same cool eclipse amps with feedback controllable via expression pedal?

bdmulvey
      Participant

From the manual:

Configuring the Audio Input/Output of your FX Chain

Note: You cannot select an Output that has been previously assigned to another FX Chain.

Does this mean that there’s no way to route all input channels through different FX chains and mix to a stereo pair within the unit?

gkellum
        Participant
        bdmulvey wrote:

Does this mean that there's no way to route all input channels through different FX chains and mix to a stereo pair within the unit?

Yes, that's currently the case.  There's currently no mixing functionality for mixing the output of the FX Chains.  

However, we do think we should be able to add that in the future as a software update.  If that functionality is important to you, let us know about it…

cbm
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

bdmulvey wrote:

Does this mean that there’s no way to route all input channels through different FX chains and mix to a stereo pair within the unit?

I’m sort of surprised this capability isn’t there already. I would certainly like to see it.

Yes, that’s currently the case.  There’s currently no mixing functionality for mixing the output of the FX Chains.  

However, we do think we should be able to add that in the future as a software update.  If that functionality is important to you, let us know about it…

cbm
      Participant

I’m still interested in knowing if there will still be the sampling memory in the H9000. It’s been useful for looper patches, as well as “flying in” a part on my Orville.

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        cbm wrote:

I'm still interested in knowing if there will still be the sampling memory in the H9000. It's been useful for looper patches, as well as "flying in" a part on my Orville.

At first release, we'll have the Looper algorithm available, but we won't have the sampler algorithms from the H8000.  We made the decision that the large effort of porting that code was not worth it.   However, there's more interest in this than we expected (see https://www.eventideaudio.com/comment/32192#comment-32192) so we are considering it.

tmoravan
      Participant

OK, thanks.  Given the still fluid nature of the machine, the answer is definitely sufficient.  One of the reasons to move to the 9k is that it is going to be supported for quite some time and advancements and improvements will certainly be forthcoming.  The overall structure of patches is a bit different, so it’s understandable that there would be some changes in how a particular preset is implemented in the 9k versus in the 8000.

cbm
      Participant

Is “longdelay” supported in the H9000? It relies on the sample memory, so if there’s no sampler, is there a different pool of memory that longdelay can use? On the Orville / H8000 the sample memory is only available in machine A. What are the limitations on the H9000?

cbm
      Participant

Is “longdelay” supported in the H9000? It relies on the sample memory, so if there’s no sampler, is there a different pool of memory that longdelay can use? On the Orville / H8000 the sample memory is only available in machine A. What are the limitations on the H9000?

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        cbm wrote:

Is "longdelay" supported in the H9000? It relies on the sample memory, so if there's no sampler, is there a different pool of memory that longdelay can use? On the Orville / H8000 the sample memory is only available in machine A. What are the limitations on the H9000?

The longdelay module is supported.   The H9000 DSPs don't have any special memory, but they have quite a lot of RAM compared with the H8000 DSPs.  Thus, any DSP core can use longdelays and they will have more total delay available.

The maximum for each longdelay module is 120 seconds (as I believe it was in the H8000). I think you could probably manage to use up all the RAM if you had a lot of longdelays and you were running at 96kHz but that would take some effort.

cbm
      Participant

Great news on the longdelay front! Thanks.

cbm
      Participant
      jbamberg wrote:
      The maximum for each longdelay module is 120 seconds (as I believe it was in the H8000). I think you could probably manage to use up all the RAM if you had a lot of longdelays and you were running at 96kHz but that would take some effort.

Orville / H8000 longdelay max was 174 seconds of Sampler Memory, FWIW.

I largely use my Orville as a looping machine, so I would hope that the H9000 longdelay max can eventually be expanded to match the Orville / H8000.

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        cbm wrote:

Orville / H8000 longdelay max was 174 seconds of Sampler Memory, FWIW.

I largely use my Orville as a looping machine, so I would hope that the H9000 longdelay max can eventually be expanded to match the Orville / H8000.

That's right, but I was referring to the maximum that can be allocated in a single longdelay module (which is a software limit), whereas you are talking about the maximum total physical sampler memory (a hardware limit).  Sorry if I wasn't clear.  In the H9000 case, the hardware limit is generally much higher, but it isn't a fixed value because the RAM is also used for other things.  As a quick back of the envelope estimate, if we assume we can allocate half the RAM for long delays, we could have up to about 700 seconds per DSP core at 48k, or 350 seconds at 96k.

The largest long delay in the library of algorithms has a maximum delay of 85 seconds (519, "LongDelay").  Some use a larger total amount, e.g. 719, "Mobius Loops", which uses 8 instances of the longdelay module, each with a maximum delay of 20 seconds.

If you would like to share specific factory algorithms that you use for looping, or custom sigfiles, we can check to make sure you can do what you need with the H9000.

Edit: I checked the original code for the H8000 longdelay module, and it does in fact have a max delay of 174 seconds.  For some reason, when that module was ported to the new system, the maximum was changed from 174 to 120.  I see no reason why we shouldn't make it 174 in the new version too.  Apologies for my error!

KazRemark
      Participant

So exciting, now that I know VSIG is on the table I‘m placing a preorder with Vintage King!!! I own a DSP-7k that i bought new when it came out, and I never upgraded to any of the subsequent processors. Will I be able to port my DSP-7k presets over to the new platform? Sounds like it shouldn’t be a problem reading through this thread.

markiv2290
      Participant

First and foremost, kudos to Eventide for this very clear and open communication channel about the H9000.
      Big thanks for answering all questions and paying attention to our needs and concerns as end users! That is what I call dedication towards the userbase.

I am so awaiting the lighter version(s) of the H9000 so that I can integrate it into my rack!
      With the modular multi-DSP-board architecture, hopefully it won’t take long after the H9000 is done. Merely populating the 4 boards with slower CPUs or populating 1 or 2 DSP boards in lieu of 4, new model number on the front panel, et voilà 😉
      (Ok I’m kidding I know it’s not as simple as that!!)
      I just can’t wait.

Now my only concern.
      Please keep multi-channel analog I/O facilities even on the lighter versions! That’s of primary importance !
      Like many guitar rack aficionados, I keep my dry and wet signals mix exclusively in the analog domain.
      Dual-mono is not sufficient in that regard.

ThreeFingersOfLove
        markiv2290 wrote:
        I am so awaiting the lighter version(s) of the H9000 so that I can integrate it into my rack!

Me as well. I have been away from playing for quite a few years and just recently got back into it and look forward to replacing the H3000 D/SX in my guitar rack which I’m still getting plenty of enjoyment out of until that time.

drrd

I’m really keen to hear some PCM.WAV material processed with the same program on h8000 and h9000. Digital in and out, no AD/DA to complicate things. A long reverb program would be good. Need to hear what this transition to floating point processing sounds like. 

cbm
      Participant

Does sending audio and control between DSP Engines work like it does on the Orville / H8000? Any restrictions on sending between Effects Chains?

cbm
      Participant

I’m curious about memory management on the H9000 from the user’s point of view. On the Orville / H8000 it was sort of simple: each engine had a 47 second pool of delay memory to split amongs all modules, and engine A also had 174 seconds of Sample Memory.

How will all this work on the H9000? My assumptions are that each ARM chip has its own memory pool, and that the four cores share that memory pool. How is memory allocated between the four cores on an ARM chip? What are the user’s responsibllity in managing this memory? 

jackmazzotti
      Participant

Will the factor algorithms have the ribbon strip controller built into them like in the H9? 

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        jackmazzotti wrote:

Will the factor algorithms have the ribbon strip controller built into them like in the H9? 

The H9000 has a feature called Functions, which work like the strip controller.  There are 8 functions for each FX chain, and each function is like a separate controller that can control parameters across the algorithms of the chain.  You can adjust the start and end of the mappings in a similar way.  These are available in all the algorithms, not just the factor ones.  Then, you can use the front panel controls, an expression pedal, or MIDI CC, or some other event source to control each function.

jackmazzotti
        Participant
        jbamberg wrote:

jackmazzotti wrote:

The H9000 has a feature called Functions, which work like the strip controller.  There are 8 functions for each FX chain, and each function is like a separate controller that can control parameters across the algorithms of the chain.  You can adjust the start and end of the mappings in a similar way.  These are available in all the algorithms, not just the factor ones.  Then, you can use the front panel controls, an expression pedal, or MIDI CC, or some other event source to control each function.

Awesome! I am assuming FX chains can be saved as presets with up to 4 algorithms a piece? Also will VST/AU plugin allow for the 8 functions to be controlled by DAW automation or a midi controller like Push inside the DAW. The Black Hole plugin maps beautifully to Push encoders. It would be wonderful to load up a chanin and have all the parameters automapped. It would save so much time.  

cbm
      Participant

I’m still looking for clarity on inter-engine communication and how memory is managed on the H9000. If there’s anyone from Eventide who could shed light on the issues I raised in message numbers 99 and 100, that would be great.

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        cbm wrote:

I'm still looking for clarity on inter-engine communication and how memory is managed on the H9000. If there's anyone from Eventide who could shed light on the issues I raised in message numbers 99 and 100, that would be great.

Hi cbm, sorry for the delay in replying.

Regarding memory management, you are correct that each DSP module has its own memory which is shared between the 4 cores.  Each algorithm allocates the memory it needs at load time, leaving the rest available to the others.  The user doesn't have to do anything to manage the memory.  However, as I mentioned before, you could potentially write a sigfile that would consume enough memory that it would not load under certain circumstances, or prevent other algorithms from loading.  The H9000 has much more memory available to algorithms than previous products and we haven't anticipated it being a limiting factor, but if you want to write algorithms that deal with very many, or very long, loops of audio, we would like to hear about your requirements.

Regarding sending audio between DSPs, we currently restrict the routing so that FX chains can only be routed to/from IO sources and destinations, not other FX chains.  This is not a limitation in the hardware or OS, but a UI decision to simplify the routing screens.  However, we've had a couple of requests for this functionality, so we're planning to enable it in a future software update.

vaultstudio

I’m seeing the H9000 priced at $7k with front display/comtrol panel but not seeing any models without front panel???? Eventide conveyed price for non-front screen would be at $5k……..correct?  If so, Eventide is charging $2k for just the front lcd screen?

Answer.

vaultstudio

Also, I need to see some video’s of the H9000 working with a IPad, working with Pro-tools… before I purchase one because people got screwed on the promise on the H8000 working with Pro-tools!!! Not taking any chances with the Eventide Hyped marketing ploys!!

vaultstudio

Also, I read from Eventide that the H9000 and the H9000R are exactly the same making the only difference the front Panel screen. 

Every site I’ve seen push the H9000R unit as “

Eventide showcases H9000R expander for its H9000 FX processor”

Do I need to worry!!!

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        vaultstudio wrote:

Also, I read from Eventide that the H9000 and the H9000R are exactly the same making the only difference the front Panel screen. 

Every site I've seen push the H9000R unit as "

Eventide showcases H9000R expander for its H9000 FX processor"

Do I need to worry!!!

The H9000R is identical to the H9000, apart from the lack of front panel screen and controls.  It is not an "expander", but a processor in its own right, but you need to use the eMote control software to use it.  The eMote software will be available initially for Mac OSX and later for Windows.  It can run as a standalone application, or as a plugin for AAX, AU and VST hosts.

I understand your desire to see the remote control software demonstrated in video form, and we will have some videos coming out soon.

Regarding the price difference of the H9000R vs the H9000, there is a lot more to the front panel than just the LCD screen.  The price difference reflects not just the many parts that go into the front panel, but also the assembly and testing costs.  It makes the H9000R a better value if you don't need the front panel (because you are always controlling it from your computer).

The H9000R is planned to ship in early 2019.

markiv2290
        Participant
        jbamberg wrote:

Regarding the price difference of the H9000R vs the H9000, there is a lot more to the front panel than just the LCD screen.  The price difference reflects not just the many parts that go into the front panel, but also the assembly and testing costs.  It makes the H9000R a better value if you don’t need the front panel (because you are always controlling it from your computer).

The H9000R is planned to ship in early 2019.

With all due respect, there is no way I will ever buy into those arguments to justify that 2000 USD price difference for some buttons, a rotary encoder, an LCD screen and some hole cutouts in a plate of aluminium. As an Aerospace Engineer with years of R&D / NPI experience, I’ve seen my fair share of over-inflated prices. But this 2K price premium for front-panel controls is just ridiculous, even for a US-made product, even with assembly, tests and QC costs factored in. Don’t get me wrong, I totally like the product, the concept, the Eventide sound. But let’s get real here. A front panel is not considered new nor high-complexity tech anymore and in fact, hasn’t been for decades. Some high-compexity, low-volume North-American-made, CPU-based products can be bought, and I mean the entire product, for less than what you are going to charge for those front panel controls!

brysava
      Participant

Good info! Thanks! I’d love to just get the R version, but need the H9000 asap, so will have to spring for the faceplated one. Is late April still looking good for the release of the H9000?

vaultstudio

2019!!!!!!!!!!!  So the Eventide ploy is to sell the 7k priced units first and drag your feet on the less expensive version to recoup design cost!! I’m not paying $7000.00 for this over priced unit.

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        vaultstudio wrote:

2019!!!!!!!!!!!  So the Eventide ploy is to sell the 7k priced units first and drag your feet on the less expensive version to recoup design cost!! I'm not paying $7000.00 for this over priced unit.

We are very unlikely to recoup the design cost of the H9000 and H9000R on the sales of those products alone, given the multi year effort of software and hardware design that has gone into them.  In that narrow sense, they are certainly not over priced.  However, they have given us new hardware and software platforms that we hope to bring to many more users (and have already done so with plugins).

tmoravan
        Participant
        vaultstudio wrote:

2019!!!!!!!!!!!  So the Eventide ploy is to sell the 7k priced units first and drag your feet on the less expensive version to recoup design cost!! I’m not paying $7000.00 for this over priced unit.

The good news is that no one is forcing you to buy an H9000, not now, not ever.  If you want the Eventide sound, there’s a lot of great choices available both new and used.  The H8000FW is a real workhorse with a lot of connectivity options.  Used, they are down below $3000, so you could buy 2 of them for roughly what a new 9000R will cost and the best part is you can have all that functionality now in March of 2018.

I don’t think Eventide owes anyone anything.  They can price the units however they want.  The pricing is based on their internal metrics and are not influenced by what users post on the internet.  The best way to see if they priced it correctly is to look at the sales.

For me, it was worth it to sell my pair of 8000’s and remote to raise the cash to buy a 9000.  I have space carved out in the rack at the ideal height for editing, and am building my snakes as we speak.

AAgnello
        Eventide Staff
        vaultstudio wrote:

2019!!!!!!!!!!!  So the Eventide ploy is to sell the 7k priced units first and drag your feet on the less expensive version to recoup design cost!! I'm not paying $7000.00 for this over priced unit.

To the extent that this is a ploy, I'm responsible. WRT dragging our feet – nothing can be further from the truth. We would prefer that the R version ship first. They're easier to build and test. The simple fact is that the H9000 has many features and every feature must be supported by the app if there is no front panel. emote is taking us longer than anticipated/hoped/planned. The developers are people and they are the ones reading and responding to your posts. You are welcome to your opinion and I appreciate that you care however my opinion is that your tone is not helpful in that it serves as a distraction from the work necessary to release the product. 

jackmazzotti
      Participant

Will Emote work with DAW automation and midi controllers? 

jackmazzotti
        Participant
        jackmazzotti wrote:

No one knows the answer or does not care to respond?

gkellum
        Participant
        jackmazzotti wrote:

jackmazzotti wrote:

Emote currently doesn't work with DAW automation.  We're trying to wrap up v1.0 of Emote right now.  Supporting DAW automation is planned for the next release.

I'm not 100% sure about what you mean when you ask whether it works with MIDI controllers.  You can hook a MIDI controller up to the H9000 and assign MIDI messages to do various things in the front panel app.  Are you talking about configuring MIDI messages of a MIDI device connected to the H9000 using Emote?  Or are you talking about connecting a MIDI controller to a computer and having Emote read from the device and relay its messages to the H9000?

jackmazzotti
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

jackmazzotti wrote:

jackmazzotti wrote:

Emote currently doesn’t work with DAW automation.  We’re trying to wrap up v1.0 of Emote right now.  Supporting DAW automation is planned for the next release.

I’m not 100% sure about what you mean when you ask whether it works with MIDI controllers.  You can hook a MIDI controller up to the H9000 and assign MIDI messages to do various things in the front panel app.  Are you talking about configuring MIDI messages of a MIDI device connected to the H9000 using Emote?  Or are you talking about connecting a MIDI controller to a computer and having Emote read from the device and relay its messages to the H9000?

Thanks for the answer. I am talking about using something like Ableton Push to control parameters that autopopulate the controller like the Black Hole plugin does. Hopefully it will save parameters in the DAW project files the way plugins do as well.

brysava
      Participant

Same here tmorivan! Can’t wait! Could we get an update, jbamberg, on the release date of the frontpaneled H9000? Thanks

vaultstudio

With all due respect are you telling me that the E-remote and DAW plug-in app will not be available with the release of the H9000? When I first purchased my H8000FW years ago the marketing was pushing compatibility with Pro-tools……….remember? It didn’t happen. In addition,  Eventide understands that a $5k unit will sell faster and have a larger purchase rate compared to a $7k unit.  An Apple IPad PRo sells for $649. 

I’ve sold my H8000FW thinking Eventide would be releasing the H9000R based on all the marketing posting, You Tube video’s …. and I’m glad sold it because I haven’t heard one word about exchange for an H8000 even though its posted in the Eventide H9000 thread from a Eventide employee.

AAgnello
        Eventide Staff
        vaultstudio wrote:

With all due respect are you telling me that the E-remote and DAW plug-in app will not be available with the release of the H9000? When I first purchased my H8000FW years ago the marketing was pushing compatibility with Pro-tools……….remember? It didn't happen. In addition,  Eventide understands that a $5k unit will sell faster and have a larger purchase rate compared to a $7k unit.  An Apple IPad PRo sells for $649. 

I've sold my H8000FW thinking Eventide would be releasing the H9000R based on all the marketing posting, You Tube video's …. and I'm glad sold it because I haven't heard one word about exchange for an H8000 even though its posted in the Eventide H9000 thread from a Eventide employee.

Remote app will be available with first ship but the first release will not support every function/display possible from front panel. The priorities include operational features – loading/saving presets, sessions, fx chains, controlling parameters, creating fx chains, and many others. Other functions like software updates, displaying levels at various points in the signal flow, creating advanced functions, may not make it into first release. We will not release the H9000R until all functionality is available remotely.

vaultstudio
        AAgnello wrote:

vaultstudio wrote:

With all due respect are you telling me that the E-remote and DAW plug-in app will not be available with the release of the H9000? When I first purchased my H8000FW years ago the marketing was pushing compatibility with Pro-tools……….remember? It didn’t happen. In addition,  Eventide understands that a $5k unit will sell faster and have a larger purchase rate compared to a $7k unit.  An Apple IPad PRo sells for $649. 

I’ve sold my H8000FW thinking Eventide would be releasing the H9000R based on all the marketing posting, You Tube video’s …. and I’m glad sold it because I haven’t heard one word about exchange for an H8000 even though its posted in the Eventide H9000 thread from a Eventide employee.

Remote app will be available with first ship but the first release will not support every function/display possible from front panel. The priorities include operational features – loading/saving presets, sessions, fx chains, controlling parameters, creating fx chains, and many others. Other functions like software updates, displaying levels at various points in the signal flow, creating advanced functions, may not make it into first release. We will not release the H9000R until all functionality is available remotely.

In this day and age where everyone uses apps on cell phones, IPads, and desktop DAW’s (plug-ins) the first priority for Eventide was to release a product with a $2000 front control panel for $7000.00. Why?  Because if they release a $5000.00 version first nobody would purchase the one for $7000.00. Now, another year must pass before ‘all functionality is available” for the H9000R for one to purchase this cheaper product. 

Yeah right!

cbm
        Participant
        vaultstudio wrote:
        In this day and age where everyone uses apps on cell phones, IPads, and desktop DAW’s (plug-ins) the first priority for Eventide was to release a product with a $2000 front control panel for $7000.00. Why?  Because if they release a $5000.00 version first nobody would purchase the one for $7000.00. Now, another year must pass before ‘all functionality is available” for the H9000R for one to purchase this cheaper product.

I would always opt for the fully featured front panel version, FWIW. 

markiv2290
        Participant

[/quote]In this day and age where everyone uses apps on cell phones, IPads, and desktop DAW’s (plug-ins) the first priority for Eventide was to release a product with a $2000 front control panel for $7000.00. Why?  Because if they release a $5000.00 version first nobody would purchase the one for $7000.00. Now, another year must pass before ‘all functionality is available” for the H9000R for one to purchase this cheaper product.

Yeah right!

[/quote]

Well I, for one, would get the front control panel version. In any case, for my application, a software-only controlled unit is not an option.

I think Eventide / AAgnello’s explanation for the delay is believable. I totally understand that developers are people too. I’m sure they’re all hard at work at Eventide to release this as soon as possible.

But at the same time this new platform is a departure from Eventide’s older architectures in so many ways, that they are surely taking their time to ensure everything is done properly for the long term as you don’t want to invest so much time, effort and money into such an architecture to end up having to re-invest to fix deeply rooted issues later down the road. Or worse, having to go back to the drawing board and work on yet another architecture to replace your latest, just-released-one because that one ended up having been butchered beyond any possible rework during developement.

So kuddos to Eventide in that regard.

tmoravan wrote:

I don’t think Eventide owes anyone anything.  They can price the units however they want.  The pricing is based on their internal metrics and are not influenced by what users post on the internet.  The best way to see if they priced it correctly is to look at the sales.

You are right that Eventide doesn’t owes anyone anything.

However I do not agree about a company not being influenced by internet comments. It is quite the contrary in this day and age where marketing is deeply rooted in online interactions, data collection, paid reviewers/commenters etc..

Especially not coming from Eventide users, who are surely not your average Joe discussing how he saved 50 cents by using a coupon at Wally’s (not that there’s anything wrong with that, that being said!!).

I mean we are talking about :

1- specialised professional users and wealthy (or seriously G.A.S.-affected) prosumers,

2- who are discussing a high price, specialty product (an high end processor), inside a specialty segmet (fx processing), of an already specialty market (pro audio).

I am thinking out load here but I think Eventide does pay attention to their user base and/or leverage whatever marketing data they can gather from these forums. Going by their posts I think this thread shows that they clearly do care about their users’ use cases and what not, so why wouldn’t they care about their users’ level of interest in shelling or not shelling out that kind of money, as well?

I am personally waiting for the redux versions with less processing power, as I previously mentionned. I just hope that along with processor power scaling will come the price scaling as well. Because if they release the H9000 at 7K USD, which is too darn expensive in my opinion (no matter how powerful it is), then a redux version with less say half the processing power would still be too expensive at even half the price of 3.5K USD (note: I know such products aren’t priced this way in a linear price scaling fashion, I’m just simplifying things for the sake of demonstrating the point).

So in the end, I just wonder how they are going to pull it out market-wise with this new architecture, with such a pricing strategy, in these days and age of software plugins and existing and upcoming cheaper processors (which I concede might not sound as good nor be as powerful, but sometimes, cheaper equipment can and will do the job and will be close enough). Especially if their material and assembly costs for the front panel controls are so uncontrollably high for some reason as to impair their ability to sell it at a more reasonable price thus slowing down and restricting market penetration. Wich would be really sad for such a nice platform. But hey, that’s only my 2 cents and I might be totally wrong (and in fact I am hoping that I am, because I really like the promises of this platform) smiley

brysava
        Participant
        markiv2290 wrote:

Yeah right!

[/quote]

Well I, for one, would get the front control panel version. In any case, for my application, a software-only controlled unit is not an option.

I think Eventide / AAgnello’s explanation for the delay is believable. I totally understand that developers are people too. I’m sure they’re all hard at work at Eventide to release this as soon as possible.

But at the same time this new platform is a departure from Eventide’s older architectures in so many ways, that they are surely taking their time to ensure everything is done properly for the long term as you don’t want to invest so much time, effort and money into such an architecture to end up having to re-invest to fix deeply rooted issues later down the road. Or worse, having to go back to the drawing board and work on yet another architecture to replace your latest, just-released-one because that one ended up having been butchered beyond any possible rework during developement.

So kuddos to Eventide in that regard.

tmoravan wrote:

You are right that Eventide doesn’t owes anyone anything.

However I do not agree about a company not being influenced by internet comments. It is quite the contrary in this day and age where marketing is deeply rooted in online interactions, data collection, paid reviewers/commenters etc..

Especially not coming from Eventide users, who are surely not your average Joe discussing how he saved 50 cents by using a coupon at Wally’s (not that there’s anything wrong with that, that being said!!).

I mean we are talking about :

1- specialised professional users and wealthy (or seriously G.A.S.-affected) prosumers,

2- who are discussing a high price, specialty product (an high end processor), inside a specialty segmet (fx processing), of an already specialty market (pro audio).

I am thinking out load here but I think Eventide does pay attention to their user base and/or leverage whatever marketing data they can gather from these forums. Going by their posts I think this thread shows that they clearly do care about their users’ use cases and what not, so why wouldn’t they care about their users’ level of interest in shelling or not shelling out that kind of money, as well?

I am personally waiting for the redux versions with less processing power, as I previously mentionned. I just hope that along with processor power scaling will come the price scaling as well. Because if they release the H9000 at 7K USD, which is too darn expensive in my opinion (no matter how powerful it is), then a redux version with less say half the processing power would still be too expensive at even half the price of 3.5K USD (note: I know such products aren’t priced this way in a linear price scaling fashion, I’m just simplifying things for the sake of demonstrating the point).

So in the end, I just wonder how they are going to pull it out market-wise with this new architecture, with such a pricing strategy, in these days and age of software plugins and existing and upcoming cheaper processors (which I concede might not sound as good nor be as powerful, but sometimes, cheaper equipment can and will do the job and will be close enough). Especially if their material and assembly costs for the front panel controls are so uncontrollably high for some reason as to impair their ability to sell it at a more reasonable price thus slowing down and restricting market penetration. Wich would be really sad for such a nice platform. But hey, that’s only my 2 cents and I might be totally wrong (and in fact I am hoping that I am, because I really like the promises of this platform) smiley

[/quote]

When I first saw that the H9000 was being introduced, I immediately thought, ‘well that’s way beyond my range for my live shows’. But then, after finally reading about all that it can do, I realized that it could replace my high-end Lynx Hilo AD/DA converter, my H7600, my Lexicon 300, PLUS giving me much more routing flexibility–and not to mention the unheard of capability of all these great effects used together as needed. AND, all condensed into 2 rack spaces! In my situation, by selling the things that it replaces, makes it very affordable for me. While I’d love to be able to wait for the cheaper “R” version, I can’t, so I’m going for the full version the minute that it’s out. Speaking of which, can someone at Eventide tell me if the H9000 is still on schedule for this April or May? Even a “don’t know yet” is helpful so that I can time the sale of my remaining items. Thanks!

markiv2290
        Participant
        brysava wrote:

When I first saw that the H9000 was being introduced, I immediately thought, ‘well that’s way beyond my range for my live shows’. But then, after finally reading about all that it can do, I realized that it could replace my high-end Lynx Hilo AD/DA converter, my H7600, my Lexicon 300, PLUS giving me much more routing flexibility–and not to mention the unheard of capability of all these great effects used together as needed. AND, all condensed into 2 rack spaces! In my situation, by selling the things that it replaces, makes it very affordable for me. While I’d love to be able to wait for the cheaper “R” version, I can’t, so I’m going for the full version the minute that it’s out. Speaking of which, can someone at Eventide tell me if the H9000 is still on schedule for this April or May? Even a “don’t know yet” is helpful so that I can time the sale of my remaining items. Thanks!

I see how in your case it perfectly makes sense. I had a similar reflexion regarding my own FX rack, but did not arrive at the same conclusion given the particular equipment that I have, even at MSRP prices. That’s mainly because the H9000 I just so much more powerful than what I need, really. A single quad processor version would do (4 algos total vs 2 on H8000), and most likely even a single dual core processor version would do as well (2 algos like the H8000). Price it like the Eclipse is now and I’m in. That would be a flops-to-cost ratio that’s more inline with the times compared to the aging Eclipse (as good as a processor the Eclipse still is). CPUs have gone a loooong way in 15 years even more so with CPU prices factored in.

vaultstudio
        markiv2290 wrote:

brysava wrote:

I see how in your case it perfectly makes sense. I had a similar reflexion regarding my own FX rack, but did not arrive at the same conclusion given the particular equipment that I have, even at MSRP prices. That’s mainly because the H9000 I just so much more powerful than what I need, really. A single quad processor version would do (4 algos total vs 2 on H8000), and most likely even a single dual core processor version would do as well (2 algos like the H8000). Price it like the Eclipse is now and I’m in. That would be a flops-to-cost ratio that’s more inline with the times compared to the aging Eclipse (as good as a processor the Eclipse still is). CPUs have gone a loooong way in 15 years even more so with CPU prices factored in.

There’s always going to be people who just have to have NOW….which Eventide will prosper but in the end the purchaser doesn’t gain anything.  For a person running a business that needs to work with budgets decisions are made and since I and many others have a computer screen in front of them  90% of the time it makes no sense to pay an extra $2000 for touch a panel. Some need to budget for the new MacPro which will cost between $5k-10k which is more key than a $7000.00 effect unit. In the end I’m glad I sold my H8k early because the prices are dropping fast but if desperate and I’m not can pickup a H8k for $2k or I can wait for an H9000 to pop up on Ebay from someone who couldn’t afford but just had to buy.

Eventide is stringing people along ……..again because they can. Many companies now use this hype marketing method and string you along for the final product.  This happened with the H8000FW with the promise of plug-in capability. Didn’t happen but they sure got people to purchase the unit!!!

This is advertised on the Eventide site:

Availability of the H9000

General availability 2nd quarter 2018. It will be available in two models. The standard model will have full front panel controls and is priced at $6,999. The H9000R model comes with a blank front panel and will be priced at $4,999.

gkellum
        Participant
        vaultstudio wrote:

Eventide is stringing people along ……..again because they can. Many companies now use this hype marketing method and string you along for the final product.  This happened with the H8000FW with the promise of plug-in capability. Didn't happen but they sure got people to purchase the unit!!!

You're drawing the wrong conclusions from the discrepancies you pointed out.  The truth is there's just a fair amount of miscommunication (or lack of communicatino) between the people working on the H9000 and the people creating the marketing information that gets put on the website.  Unfortunately, there's no master marketer at play intentionally manipulating people by posting misleading information.  There's just been some good, old fashioned ineptitude at work.

I apologize for the misleading information you've come across and for the fact that you sold your H8000 perhaps earlier than you might have wanted to because of that.  

The H9000 has been such a massive product for us.  We've been working for ages to just finish it.  If that hadn't been the case, the people who know the product best would have had more time to double check and hone the information that's been disseminated about the product.

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        vaultstudio wrote:

Eventide is stringing people along ……..again because they can. Many companies now use this hype marketing method and string you along for the final product.  This happened with the H8000FW with the promise of plug-in capability. Didn't happen but they sure got people to purchase the unit!!!

The H8000 plugin was one of our more embarassing failures. This was (perhaps unwisely) pre-announced. We spent a LOT of time working on it, but just could not make it perform well enough. Essentially it was taking FAR too long to change programs, and would have pleased nobody. Reluctantly, we abandoned it.

No evil plan involved.

gkellum
        Participant
        brysava wrote:

Speaking of which, can someone at Eventide tell me if the H9000 is still on schedule for this April or May? Even a "don't know yet" is helpful so that I can time the sale of my remaining items. 

Yes, the H9000 is still on schedule for us to begin shipping units around April and May.  We apparently have a number of pre-orders booked already, even though we normally don't solicit pre-orders, and it might be that all of the units we have on hand in that timeframe might go towards fulfilling those pre-orders.

vaultstudio

The developers are people and they are the ones reading and responding to your posts. You are welcome to your opinion and I appreciate that you care however my opinion is that your tone is not helpful in that it serves as a distraction from the work necessary to release the product.

I’m not in anyway calling out  any of the developers but the people runnning the ship!!!

AAgnello
        Eventide Staff
        vaultstudio wrote:

The developers are people and they are the ones reading and responding to your posts. You are welcome to your opinion and I appreciate that you care however my opinion is that your tone is not helpful in that it serves as a distraction from the work necessary to release the product.

I'm not in anyway calling out  any of the developers but the people runnning the ship!!!

That's me.

vaultstudio

Oh, that’s why H9000R is being marketing as an “Expander”.sad

brysava
      Participant

Thanks for the update and good news! I ordered one yesterday and they told me I was first in line for their first batch, so I’m excited!

mtclearwave

Has the decision been made whether a Sample will be included in the H9000 – or not?

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        mtclearwave wrote:

Has the decision been made whether a Sample will be included in the H9000 – or not?

As previously stated, the H9000 will not have a sampler at launch.

You will note that I am neither ruling it out at a later date, nor promising it either. Can't say.

vaultstudio

In the past companies would develope a product, then anounce a release date of a fully operational product.  Now, marketing/sales ratchet up the hype on “You Tube” and outlet stores by posting “coming soon” to build up the hype….with half backed product non-completed product. Again, Eventide will always gets certain type of person to purchase no matter what the cost they just need it.

(H8000FW )”This was (perhaps unwisely) pre-announced.”  and The truth is there’s just a fair amount of miscommunication (or lack of communicatino) between the people working on the H9000 and the people creating the marketing information that gets put on the website.”

Doubt it.  To release the H9000 now and wait unitl 2019 for the H9000R is planned because Eventide is not a dumb by any means.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Getting a little tired of this …

There are two main reasons why the H9000R comes out later than the H9000.

1) Pretty much all of our technical resources are going into getting the base H9000 finished and shipping. You will observe that it is a little delayed.

2) The H9000R requires much support from the remote control software (for obvious reasons), so we have to put a lot more work into this before the release of the product. We are keen to avoid the situation we got into with the H8000.

That's all. Yet again, no evil plan. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

M-Goldie
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:

1) Pretty much all of our technical resources are going into getting the base H9000 finished and shipping. You will observe that it is a little delayed.

2) The H9000R requires much support from the remote control software (for obvious reasons), so we have to put a lot more work into this before the release of the product. We are keen to avoid the situation we got into with the H8000.

That’s all. Yet again, no evil plan. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Perfectly understandable and acceptable, thanks Nick. Let’s keep the rest of the thread to on-topic questions about the H9000. I have had, or still own, a 3000, a 7000, a 7600, an 8000, and an H9. Eventide are great and I’m very excited about the 9000, in fact I’m amazed it’s even happening. If this hardware produces new plugins further down the line I would also be very happy 🙂

AAgnello
        Eventide Staff
        M-Goldie wrote:

nickrose wrote:

That's all. Yet again, no evil plan. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Perfectly understandable and acceptable, thanks Nick. Let’s keep the rest of the thread to on-topic questions about the H9000. I have had, or still own, a 3000, a 7000, a 7600, an 8000, and an H9. Eventide are great and I’m very excited about the 9000, in fact I’m amazed it’s even happening. If this hardware produces new plugins further down the line I would also be very happy 🙂

Thanks. Yes, please let's stop the distraction. Either there's an evil (yet clearly foiled) plan afoot or not. Fact is the H9000 development team has been working on this for years and it's getting ready for first commercial ship. It won't have or do everything everyone asks or even everything it is capable of doing. We do believe it will make developing new, complicated effects easier. As mentioned before, the development task was made difficult by our decision to move off of fixed point DSP chips to general purpose ARM processors. The development tools for ARM are much better and our hope is that it will make new effects easier to program. That's what the team wants to be working on but first the H9000 has to ship and run as many of the effects ported from the H8000 without changing the way that they sound. That's been one of the challenges and it's taken us much longer than we'd hope.   

davidfsnyder
        Participant
        AAgnello wrote:

M-Goldie wrote:

nickrose wrote:

That’s all. Yet again, no evil plan. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Thanks. Yes, please let’s stop the distraction. Either there’s an evil (yet clearly foiled) plan afoot or not. Fact is the H9000 development team has been working on this for years and it’s getting ready for first commercial ship. It won’t have or do everything everyone asks or even everything it is capable of doing. We do believe it will make developing new, complicated effects easier. As mentioned before, the development task was made difficult by our decision to move off of fixed point DSP chips to general purpose ARM processors. The development tools for ARM are much better and our hope is that it will make new effects easier to program. That’s what the team wants to be working on but first the H9000 has to ship and run as many of the effects ported from the H8000 without changing the way that they sound. That’s been one of the challenges and it’s taken us much longer than we’d hope.   

The H9000 has a lot of ambitions, so some snafus are to be expected;  the team’s efforts are appreciated. Better to delay launch of the R model than to have a crashed effort, obviously. Clearly Eventide is going to get some decent sales out of this release.

KazRemark
      Participant

All of this complaining is beyond silly. I’ve been using a DSP-7000 for the last 15 years or so, I bought it used back then because I couldn’t afford the new prices. I’ve never upgraded as the cost/benefit ratio never seemed quite worth it for my needs. At this point I look forward to buying the new unit, even if it’s expensive. I plan to use it for the next 15 years at least. You’re acting like Eventide is forcing you to upgrade, or as if there aren’t perfectly timeless used Eventides that can be picked up for way cheaper.

vaultstudio
        KazRemark wrote:

All of this complaining is beyond silly. I’ve been using a DSP-7000 for the last 15 years or so, I bought it used back then because I couldn’t afford the new prices. I’ve never upgraded as the cost/benefit ratio never seemed quite worth it for my needs. At this point I look forward to buying the new unit, even if it’s expensive. I plan to use it for the next 15 years at least. You’re acting like Eventide is forcing you to upgrade, or as if there aren’t perfectly timeless used Eventides that can be picked up for way cheaper.

I think Eventide should sell the H9000 at $10,000 for the H9000 which would pay for all the developement ………maybe you can buy two and hold on to them for 30 years. What a deal.

You’re missing the point and I still use H3000’s units making your statement baseless and contradicts itself. You’re correct I’m not being forced to purchase an H9000 and I won’t! You’re also correct by buying used which is why I sold my H8000FW some time ago even though Eventide conveyed they would have an exchange for the newer unit!! Where in the hell did that go? Maybe another internal miss communication? For being a small company there is sure a lot miscomminications?

Maybe I should start using the business practices of Eventide where I promise two completed pieces of music to a client at certain time/date. When the completed date arrises I tell the client that the first piece  is completed but I need one nore month to finish. Then I tell the client the second piece of music is almost complete but missing movements but I can have it finished next year. Hopefully?

If Eventide would stop advertising BS from H8k plug-ins, exchange H8k to H9k and H9k release dates one would not post but some belive in professional business practices. One can deal with a feew months delay but another year…..pure BS.

jackmazzotti
        Participant
        KazRemark wrote:

Yes the complaining is terrible! Music is supposed to be fun! I say take your time to get Emote right. I will wait until 2019 for the R. We are almost 4 months into 2018 already. 

wilkinsi
      Participant

Having downoaded the manual, I see no mention of installing the optional I/O expansion cards. What is happening with these? I’ve not seen any prices on these cards either.

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        wilkinsi wrote:

Having downoaded the manual, I see no mention of installing the optional I/O expansion cards. What is happening with these? I've not seen any prices on these cards either.

Sorry – early days. There is much more to do.

Expansion cards are easy to install – you remove a cover and plug on a cable. Before they are priced and shipping, we would be wise to add them to the manual. Writers, take note !!

jackmazzotti
      Participant

Access Virus and Elektron Overbridge are examples of a remote plugin controlling hardware done the right way. It allows for midi control and automation from the plugin with all the benefits of a plugin gui straight into the hardware. I hope that is the plan and if it is then take your time to get it right. I don’t mind waiting for the R if we are going to get something that completely awesome!

tmoravan
        Participant
        jackmazzotti wrote:

Access Virus and Elektron Overbridge are examples of a remote plugin controlling hardware done the right way. It allows for midi control and automation from the plugin with all the benefits of a plugin gui straight into the hardware. I hope that is the plan and if it is then take your time to get it right. I don’t mind waiting for the R if we are going to get something that completely awesome!

Note that both Access and Elektron are primarily hardware companies and it took years for the Total Integration to get completed and stable.  As far as Elektron goes, IMHO Overbridge has really hurt the company.  Their hardware releases are behind schedule, delivered incomplete and buggy, and trying to support Overbridge across multiple hardware, OS, and DAW platforms is a huge drain on resources (development and testing).  Eventide would do well to study those examples and try not to repeat their mistakes.  Say nothing, promise nothing about the software apps until they are done and tested.

(just an opinion from someone that’s been writing software for all kinds of platforms for 30+ years…)

vaultstudio
        tmoravan wrote:

jackmazzotti wrote:

Note that both Access and Elektron are primarily hardware companies and it took years for the Total Integration to get completed and stable.  As far as Elektron goes, IMHO Overbridge has really hurt the company.  Their hardware releases are behind schedule, delivered incomplete and buggy, and trying to support Overbridge across multiple hardware, OS, and DAW platforms is a huge drain on resources (development and testing).  Eventide would do well to study those examples and try not to repeat their mistakes.  Say nothing, promise nothing about the software apps until they are done and tested.

(just an opinion from someone that’s been writing software for all kinds of platforms for 30+ years…)

Give this man a cigar!!!!!

Itaiargaman

Did I miss something here? are you planning to offer such an upgrade? 

Thank you!

vaultstudio
        Itaiargaman wrote:

Thank you!

Just another thing Eventide has back away from just like promising the H8000FW to interface with PT.

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        Itaiargaman wrote:

Don't think it would make much sense. We can upgrade an Orville to an H8000, because they are similar hardware. An H8000 and an H9K are totally different, so an upgrade is not possible.

vaultstudio
        nickrose wrote:

Itaiargaman wrote:

Don’t think it would make much sense. We can upgrade an Orville to an H8000, because they are similar hardware. An H8000 and an H9K are totally different, so an upgrade is not possible.

EVENTIDE posted about an exchange within the forum that has been removed!!! I asked about it some time ago and since people got screwed on promises with the H8000FW PT remote I had the feeling Eventide would back out and they did!!

Again, posted on the Eventide site which miss is leading again.

Availability of the H9000

General availability 2nd quarter 2018. It will be available in two models. The standard model will have full front panel controls and is priced at $6,999. The H9000R model comes with a blank front panel and will be priced at $4,999.

They’re trying to recoup money for developement because if the H9000R was released at the same time 1% of sales would be the H9000 version and the remaining would be the H9000R. Many who use DAW’s would use a plug-in version remote or an app to be used with a $649 Ipad and not a $2000 touch screen lock onto the H9000.

cbm
        Participant
        vaultstudio wrote:
        They’re trying to recoup money for developement because if the H9000R was released at the same time 1% of sales would be the H9000 version and the remaining would be the H9000R. Many who use DAW’s would use a plug-in version remote or an app to be used with a $649 Ipad and not a $2000 touch screen lock onto the H9000.

This again? Your 1% number is clearly pulled out of an orifice not widely recognized as providing a robust statistical analysis.  

I really don’t think there’s some sinister conspiracy here. Eventide has explained their reasoning on the timing of the releases. You clearly disagree with it, but it’s not just a plot to get you to spend more money. 

Can the H9000 accommodate both line and instrument levels like the previous H8000 via its pre-A/D boost/cut capability of +30 dB/-90 dB??

Thanks

MFPhouse
      Participant

…can we have some Press Fotos for our FB Fan Group ?

amop
      Participant

I’ve had my DSP4000 for about 22 years, and it’s been my trusty main fx unit…still use it all the time.

I plan to get the H9000 as soon as possible and use it another 22 years (the gods willing), where the total cost (after selling my 4000) will be about $21 a month. I’d say for the longevity of value it brings to me, the H9000 is ridiculously affordable.

If you don’t like the price, you should just take a hike and leave the Eventide team alone. They are developing unique, long-term value, for a relatively small market (ahem – iPad comparisons are therefore ridiculous) and they don’t really owe you or me anything, and you are under no obligation to buy them them.

vaultstudio
        amop wrote:
        I’d say for the longevity of value it brings to me, the H9000 is ridiculously affordable. If you don’t like the price, you should just take a hike and leave the Eventide team alone. They are developing unique, long-term value, for a relatively small market (ahem – iPad comparisons are therefore ridiculous) and they don’t really owe you or me anything, and you are under no obligation to buy them them.

In the USA as limited as it’s becoming people are free to express facts about Eventide’s business practice. If your must have reaction is to spend $7k for the H9000 because of the $2k front panel then knock your self out. If one is coming from a business perspective then I can wait for the H9000R which hopefully be released in 2020.

“H9000 is ridiculously affordable.”  Laughable.

StevePearce
        amop wrote:
        I’ve had my DSP4000 for about 22 years, and it’s been my trusty main fx unit…still use it all the time. I plan to get the H9000 as soon as possible and use it another 22 years (the gods willing), where the total cost (after selling my 4000) will be about $21 a month. I’d say for the longevity of value it brings to me, the H9000 is ridiculously affordable. If you don’t like the price, you should just take a hike and leave the Eventide team alone. They are developing unique, long-term value, for a relatively small market (ahem – iPad comparisons are therefore ridiculous) and they don’t really owe you or me anything, and you are under no obligation to buy them them.

You really have no idea what they’re developing for in the long term, none of us do and that’s what’s been asked many times over. We haven’t been given any actual factual detail on what’s being delivered or going to be further down the road. Of course the machine is physically more powerful but without improved firmware and software it’s a dead duck in the water.

Upon its release Eventide said it won’t even have custom scales capability. This is most disheartening considering Eventide pioneered this feature and it’s left off for no good reason. Even the rear relays are not activated upon release and these are pedestrian things in 2018.

With that said it’s an expensive purchase for not knowing what you’re actually buying.

Given To Fly
      Participant

I have found Eventide to be very generous in the way they run their business, at least the audio side of it. Eventide Communications seems a little less…fun…for lack of a better word. sad The clientele is certainly different and my guess is generosity is not the focus when dealing with the Department of Defense. 

Given To Fly
      Participant

Will the H9000 have the potential to expand the number of outputs to 24? Specifically, to accommodate surround sound formats up to 22.2?

wilkinsi
        Participant
        Given To Fly wrote:
        Will the H9000 have the potential to expand the number of outputs to 24? Specifically, to accommodate surround sound formats up to 22.2?

I’m under the impression this, at least for now, will only be possible by either:

a) Using 8 channels of ADAT or AES, plus 16 channels of USB

b) Using 24 channels of MADI, DANTE or AVB with one of those expansion cards. That is, of course, when they are available.

c) I may be a litle confused here, but the manual suggests ADAT and AES 1-8 cannot be used at the same time? Have I got this wrong? To get 24 channels without USB or one of the expansion cards, it would take ADAT 1-8, AES 1-8 and ANALOG 1-8.

Since I mentioned the expansion cards, I would very much want a Thunderbolt card, compatible with TB1, 2 and 3; Preferably Thru-compatible, so it can be used in a chain.

Given To Fly
        Participant
        wilkinsi wrote:
        Given To Fly wrote:

I’m under the impression this, at least for now, will only be possible by either:

b) Using 24 channels of MADI, DANTE or AVB with one of those expansion cards. That is, of course, when they are available.

c) I may be a litle confused here, but the manual suggests ADAT and AES 1-8 cannot be used at the same time? Have I got this wrong? To get 24 channels without USB or one of the expansion cards, it would take ADAT 1-8, AES 1-8 and ANALOG 1-8.

Since I mentioned the expansion cards, I would very much want a Thunderbolt card, compatible with TB1, 2 and 3; Preferably Thru-compatible, so it can be used in a chain.

Yes, something would need to be added one way or another. I asked because 22.2 covers all surround sound formats and their various configurations. The press release describes the H9000 as an “audio Swiss Army knife” regarding its capabilities, if memory serves me (which it may very well not). If 22.2 surround sound control is not a feature that is neither a good thing or a bad thing. I am simply curious which model of “Swiss Army knife” the H9000 is meant to be, metaphorically speaking. The audio market is not clamoring for a $7000 (or $5000) two rack space FX processor. Call it a hunch, but I think Eventide has their ear to the ground and can hear what is coming 10+ years down the road. Also, when companies staffed with intelligent people do something that goes against the grain, they either know what they are doing better than everyone else or made a terrible error in judgement. There is very little middle ground.

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        wilkinsi wrote:

I'm under the impression this, at least for now, will only be possible by either:

I don't think (a) will be very straightforward, and you'd end up with potentially different latencies between the USB channels and the ADAT/AES ones.  You'd need to use an aggregate device, which are sometimes problematic.  If you wanted the outputs to go somewhere other than your computer, then this wouldn't work.

(b) is certainly a good option. MADI and Dante expansion cards are currently in beta test so we expect them to be available soon.  AVB isn't currently planned.

(c) There is a limitation that prevents us from using all channels of ADAT and AES at the same time.   This solution would also suffer from some of the same problems as (a), in that the latencies would be different between the analog and digital paths.

We are planning to develop a 32 channel Thunderbolt card.  We've had quite a few requests for it so it will probably be the next one we make, after we release Dante and MADI.

cbm
        Participant
        jbamberg wrote:
        AVB isn’t currently planned.

That’s too bad. That’s the expansion format I was looking forward to. Wasn’t there some mention of an AVB card in some Eventide press release?

wilkinsi
      Participant

No AVB card? That’s very disappointing for MOTU AVB audio interface users like myself.

markiv2290
      Participant

Do the expansion cards have an interface to the analog I/O signals, or can they only interface the I/O in the digital domain ?

I’m asking because given the flexibility and the number of channels on the H9000 platform, with its 8-in / 8-out balanced analog I/O, I could envison a digitally-controlled, all-analog signal-path mixer as a good idea for an expansion card.

It could make for a really appealing all-in-one guitar FX solution to replace my current rack, which is comprised of a Switchblade (midi-controlled anaglog-path routing mixer) along with a bunch of 1U and 2U DSP-based FX units (and/or analog pedals).

Being able to store and recall the mixer presets along with the FX algos in the same unit, in a single operation, would surely be an innovation in the field.

On top of having a 2U unit that does it all!!

AAgnello
        Eventide Staff
        markiv2290 wrote:

Do the expansion cards have an interface to the analog I/O signals, or can they only interface the I/O in the digital domain ?

I'm asking because given the flexibility and the number of channels on the H9000 platform, with its 8-in / 8-out balanced analog I/O, I could envison a digitally-controlled, all-analog signal-path mixer as a good idea for an expansion card.

It could make for a really appealing all-in-one guitar FX solution to replace my current rack, which is comprised of a Switchblade (midi-controlled anaglog-path routing mixer) along with a bunch of 1U and 2U DSP-based FX units (and/or analog pedals).

Being able to store and recall the mixer presets along with the FX algos in the same unit, in a single operation, would surely be an innovation in the field.

Sorry but no. The expansion connector is all digital. We could design optional expansion cards with additional A to D and D to A but the 8 channels of analog I/O on the main board are not brought out to the expansion headers.

AAgnello
        Eventide Staff
        markiv2290 wrote:

I'm asking because given the flexibility and the number of channels on the H9000 platform, with its 8-in / 8-out balanced analog I/O, I could envison a digitally-controlled, all-analog signal-path mixer as a good idea for an expansion card.

Sorry but no. The expansion connector is all digital. We could design optional expansion cards with additional A to D and D to A but the 8 channels of analog I/O on the main board are not brought out to the expansion headers.

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

So Superbooth is over and I know Eventide was there, so why don’t we have any videos? Can anyone from Eventide start to make some YouTube videos so that we can see and hear what the H9000 is all about?

Thanks.

gkellum
        Participant

So Superbooth is over and I know Eventide was there, so why don't we have any videos? Can anyone from Eventide start to make some YouTube videos so that we can see and hear what the H9000 is all about?

We have an H9000 video shoot planned this weekend. So hopefully, we'll have a new H9000 video ready next week.

Our German distributor, Sound Service, did post an H9000 themed video from SuperBooth on YouTube.  It is a bit short though, and it might not have as much detail as you might have been hoping for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXyhG4klISY

ThreeFingersOfLove
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

So Superbooth is over and I know Eventide was there, so why don’t we have any videos? Can anyone from Eventide start to make some YouTube videos so that we can see and hear what the H9000 is all about?

We have an H9000 video shoot planned this weekend. So hopefully, we’ll have a new H9000 video ready next week

Good to know that.. please make as many as possible, inquiring ears are eager to hear!

ThreeFingersOfLove
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

We have an H9000 video shoot planned this weekend. So hopefully, we’ll have a new H9000 video ready next week.

It’s been a month, so…. where’s the video?

gkellum
        Participant

It's been a month, so…. where's the video?

It's coming. The musician we shot the video with went on vacation for a few weeks after the shoot, but now, he's back home. We gave him the ProTools sessions of all the different takes we recorded, and we're waiting for him to choose which takes to use.  Since we recorded a few hours of of material and had three different cameras, it's going to take a while to put this together after he chooses the takes.  I don't normally get involved in making videos, and I didn't realize how time consuming it was going to be to put this stuff together.  I shouldn't have suggested that a week after the shoot the video might be ready.  That was unrealistic.

ThreeFingersOfLove
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

It’s coming. The musician we shot the video with went on vacation for a few weeks after the shoot, but now, he’s back home. We gave him the ProTools sessions of all the different takes we recorded, and we’re waiting for him to choose which takes to use.  Since we recorded a few hours of of material and had three different cameras, it’s going to take a while to put this together after he chooses the takes.  I don’t normally get involved in making videos, and I didn’t realize how time consuming it was going to be to put this stuff together.  I shouldn’t have suggested that a week after the shoot the video might be ready.  That was unrealistic.

Well what happened to that video???

Given To Fly
        Participant

gkellum wrote:

It’s coming. The musician we shot the video with went on vacation for a few weeks after the shoot, but now, he’s back home. We gave him the ProTools sessions of all the different takes we recorded, and we’re waiting for him to choose which takes to use.  Since we recorded a few hours of of material and had three different cameras, it’s going to take a while to put this together after he chooses the takes.  I don’t normally get involved in making videos, and I didn’t realize how time consuming it was going to be to put this stuff together.  I shouldn’t have suggested that a week after the shoot the video might be ready.  That was unrealistic.

Well what happened to that video???

In case a new video needs to be made, we basically want to hear cool sounds. Whenever a new supercar is released, you know what is never shown in the promotional video? How easy/hard it is to park. That would not be exciting.

I think a relatively short, superficial H9000 video would not be a bad thing. Apple had some commercials for the iPhone teaching people how to take pictures. They were 15 seconds long. Eventide cannot do that with the H9000 (or any of their products). 1 minute of amazing sounds presented in a creative way will inform the public the H9000 is the “bee’s knees.” The H9000 is your little light, do not hide it under a bushel. No, instead, let it shine. 🙂 

“The H9000 is your little light, do not hide it under a bushel. No, instead, let it shine. 🙂 “

http://youtu.be/_wuOTXgRibQ …. at about the 12:40 mark, Suzanne begins to explain her use of the two H9 pedals.. cool

Yeah, I know that using the word QUADRAPHONIC creates the “deer-caught-in-headlights” stare but,  it is my long-held goal to play music in QUAD.

And, she uses an iPad to control the H9s rather than dragging a computer on stage…. well, until she mentions having Voltage Control modification from Northern Light Modular at about the 20:00 mark surprise

ArguZ
        Participant
        Eastward_In_Eden wrote:

“The H9000 is your little light, do not hide it under a bushel. No, instead, let it shine. 🙂 “

http://youtu.be/_wuOTXgRibQ …. at about the 12:40 mark, Suzanne begins to explain her use of the two H9 pedals.. cool

Yeah, I know that using the word QUADRAPHONIC creates the “deer-caught-in-headlights” stare but,  it is my long-held goal to play music in QUAD.

And, she uses an iPad to control the H9s rather than dragging a computer on stage…. well, until she mentions having Voltage Control modification from Northern Light Modular at about the 20:00 mark surprise

Hi there, it was nice to see our little rack modifiactions in Suzannes movie.

The CV she is talking about is making use of the pedal input. There is an additional circuit board on the back of the H9 that handles power and also provides some kind of phantom voltage.

In Buchla we use 0-10V , the internal voltage the pot is designed for expects 3,3V.

So we also have two scalers on that little daughter card providing two CV inputs, one for control voltage, the other for a switch.

basically the same you can do with a mission pedal.

However, we have moved on since and teamed up with Franck Graciano from Evenmidi and developed a 10 channel CV to midi encoder that lives in the Buchla rack and talks to the H9 directly.

I made a little video if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQGR6FmrZhc&t=11s

The CCs come in preset banks, on for the H9, one for the Factor pedals, but also one for the Deckard’s Dream synth and as soon as i will get my H9000 it will also control that one 🙂 

jackmazzotti
      Participant

I hope there is a plan for a fully VSIG programable 2 channel with 4 algortithms stomp box planned after the H9000.

Given To Fly
      Participant

You may not be ready to let the world know the H9000 is available, but when it is, don’t forget to let the world know. You do not need to teach us how to use it, but you do need to let us hear why we want to use it. yes

AAgnello
        Eventide Staff
        Given To Fly wrote:

You may not be ready to let the world know the H9000 is available, but when it is, don't forget to let the world know. You do not need to teach us how to use it, but you do need to let us hear why we want to use it. yes

We're shipping a couple of units each week but it will take us until fall to get through the booked orders. We underestimated both demand and build issues. The product page and FAQ page have been updated. 

https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/rackmount/harmonizer/h9000

cbm
      Participant

Any news about an H9000 version of VSIG? Until that is available, I’ll stick with my Orville, and using Max/MSP for things that don’t fit in the Orville.

gkellum
        Participant
        cbm wrote:

Any news about an H9000 version of VSIG? Until that is available, I'll stick with my Orville, and using Max/MSP for things that don't fit in the Orville.

That's a pretty general question. I'm not sure if you had more specific requirements in mind.  But VSIG does work now with the H9000 on Windows only.  As of right now (May 2018), it's a bit rough around the edges, but there are a few people with H9000s already who have been using VSIG.  And we've been making incremental improvements to support them as they've run into problems.

cbm
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

cbm wrote:

Any news about an H9000 version of VSIG? Until that is available, I’ll stick with my Orville, and using Max/MSP for things that don’t fit in the Orville.

That’s a pretty general question. I’m not sure if you had more specific requirements in mind.  But VSIG does work now with the H9000 on Windows only.  As of right now (May 2018), it’s a bit rough around the edges, but there are a few people with H9000s already who have been using VSIG.  And we’ve been making incremental improvements to support them as they’ve run into problems.

That’s great! Last I heard was something along the lines of “we hope to have a version of VSIG, but maybe not for FCS”

AK74

hi guys, is the H9000 going to be overkill for live guitar application? i am currently running an Eclipse to great effect 🙂 but would like more flexibility to bring in shimmers, and ambiance when needed with some midi control.

it looks like in a guitar application i can only use 4 effect blocks out of the 16 at a time? (not that i need 16 at anyone time)

thoughts?

Alan

StevePearce
        AK74 wrote:

hi guys, is the H9000 going to be overkill for live guitar application? i am currently running an Eclipse to great effect 🙂 but would like more flexibility to bring in shimmers, and ambiance when needed with some midi control.

it looks like in a guitar application i can only use 4 effect blocks out of the 16 at a time? (not that i need 16 at anyone time)

thoughts?

Alan

Right now you don’t want the H9000 as it’s a boat anchor. 

Are you aware it doesn’t have custom scales?

Are you aware they’re not saying IF AND when it wil have them.

I’m not 100% sure but I don’t think it’ll have midi presets (like the H8000) whereby you can switch sounds without loading a new preset which WILL cause

audio dropout.

For me I’m NOT purchasing a H9000 UNTIL it at least has these capabilities otherwise I’m going BACKWARDS from a H8000.

If you’re updating from an Eclipse I would HIGHLY recommend a used H8000 which is STILL a BEAST of a machine.

tmoravan
        Participant
        StevePearce wrote:

AK74 wrote:

thoughts?

Alan

I’m not 100% sure but I don’t think it’ll have midi presets (like the H8000) whereby you can switch sounds without loading a new preset which WILL cause

audio dropout.

For me I’m NOT purchasing a H9000 UNTIL it at least has these capabilities otherwise I’m going BACKWARDS from a H8000.

If you’re updating from an Eclipse I would HIGHLY recommend a used H8000 which is STILL a BEAST of a machine.

Boat anchor is a bit overly dramatic, don’t you think?

If (like me) you don’t care about custom scales and loading programs via MIDI, then these are non-issues and the H9000 is useful right out of the box.

I understand others are looking for key features to be available before purchase (and at a list price of around $7k you should do your research), but everyone’s needs are different.

StevePearce
        tmoravan wrote:

StevePearce wrote:

AK74 wrote:

thoughts?

Alan

audio dropout.

If (like me) you don’t care about custom scales and loading programs via MIDI, then these are non-issues and the H9000 is useful right out of the box.

I understand others are looking for key features to be available before purchase (and at a list price of around $7k you should do your research), but everyone’s needs are different.

No, I do think I’m correct. It’s 2018 and it’s $7k.

Yes, it’s a mighty piece of hardware, no doubt, but without those features ‘to begin with’ it is ceratainly more than overkill for guitar and mostly irrelevent.

Seamless patch changes ‘need’ to exist for guitarists and for $7k they BETTER exist out of the box now.

Custom Scales capability should be a 100% given as it is called a Harmonizer PLUS Eventide pioneered this ability and their other Harmonizers have it. Kemper, Axe FX etc all have this today and Eventide don’t, WHY WHY WHY WHY???

If you’re a studio guy only, $7k is a LOT of money for what the H9000 does in it’s current form as ‘we understand it today’

I want to root for Eventide and I want them to suceed but it’s 2018 and the H9000 is their supposed Flagship that seems like a cripple as I write. It’s easy to make an upgrade today because hardware has advanced and is cheaper for what you get. Without the firmware/software to run it BETTER and MORE advanced than it’s predecessors is where it REALLY counts and ONLY then can it be an upgrade.

If YOU are happy to drop your $7k you should do so immedialety without delay but again, to guitarists in its current trim it’s a boat anchor. 

cbm
        Participant

StevePearce wrote:

tmoravan wrote:

StevePearce wrote:

AK74 wrote:

thoughts?

Alan

audio dropout.

Yes, it’s a mighty piece of hardware, no doubt, but without those features ‘to begin with’ it is ceratainly more than overkill for guitar and mostly irrelevent.

Seamless patch changes ‘need’ to exist for guitarists and for $7k they BETTER exist out of the box now.

Custom Scales capability should be a 100% given as it is called a Harmonizer PLUS Eventide pioneered this ability and their other Harmonizers have it. Kemper, Axe FX etc all have this today and Eventide don’t, WHY WHY WHY WHY???

If you’re a studio guy only, $7k is a LOT of money for what the H9000 does in it’s current form as ‘we understand it today’

I want to root for Eventide and I want them to suceed but it’s 2018 and the H9000 is their supposed Flagship that seems like a cripple as I write. It’s easy to make an upgrade today because hardware has advanced and is cheaper for what you get. Without the firmware/software to run it BETTER and MORE advanced than it’s predecessors is where it REALLY counts and ONLY then can it be an upgrade.

If YOU are happy to drop your $7k you should do so immedialety without delay but again, to guitarists in its current trim it’s a boat anchor. 

I’m a guitarist and I really don’t care much about custom scales. It may be a boat anchor to you without them, but don’t generalize your needs to all guitarists. 

StevePearce
        cbm wrote:

StevePearce wrote:

tmoravan wrote:

StevePearce wrote:

AK74 wrote:

thoughts?

Alan

audio dropout.

I want to root for Eventide and I want them to suceed but it’s 2018 and the H9000 is their supposed Flagship that seems like a cripple as I write. It’s easy to make an upgrade today because hardware has advanced and is cheaper for what you get. Without the firmware/software to run it BETTER and MORE advanced than it’s predecessors is where it REALLY counts and ONLY then can it be an upgrade.

I’m a guitarist and I really don’t care much about custom scales. It may be a boat anchor to you without them, but don’t generalize your needs to all guitarists. 

When you’ve owned a H8000 and used it for 12+ years as a guitarist in a live context get back to me. Until then my point still stands, the H9000 in current trim is overkill & irrelevant for a guitarist and seriously lacking guitarist’s needs such as the much needed & obvious seamless patch changing PLUS custom scales. For a Flagship product it should at least do what the H8000 does PLUS far more. Otherwise what’s the point.

cbm
        Participant

StevePearce wrote:

When you’ve owned a H8000 and used it for 12+ years as a guitarist in a live context get back to me.

While I’m sure you’ve had an impressive career, that doesn’t change the fact that you don’t speak for all guitarists. I’ve been using Eventide products for decades, starting with ah H3000 briefly before moving on the DSP-4000, I then got involved with beta testing and algorithm design for whet ended up being called the Orville. Some of my algorithms ship in the Orville, and all subsequent VSIG enabled rack products. I’ve had the beta Orville (then called Andaman) crash on me while I was soloing on stage at the Fillmore.

I don’t give a $#¡† about custom scales. I’m not trying to cover the solo in Hotel California (or similar) on stage. If I played in a Devo cover band, I might be more concerned about the quality of the ring modulator, but I still wouldn’t speak for all guitarists.

Quote:

Until then my point still stands, the H9000 in current trim is overkill & irrelevant for a guitarist and seriously lacking guitarist’s needs such as the much needed & obvious seamless patch changing PLUS custom scales. For a Flagship product it should at least do what the H8000 does PLUS far more. Otherwise what’s the point.

Has any VSIG ready Eventide device offered seamless patch change? Changes within a virtual rack, sure, but not patch changes. Back in the DSP-4000 days if your presets were small enough one could load while the other was still running, but that only worked for fairly small presets.

I understand that, as it stands, the H9000 doesn’t fit your needs. I understand that you’re trying to lobby for these features to be added ASAP. What you don’t seem to understand is that other people have other needs. If I was voting on what to add next, I would vote for the Sampler to come back before Custom Scales. 

sean.e
        Participant
        cbm wrote:

If I played in a Devo cover band, I might be more concerned about the quality of the ring modulator

Though I know he is not in a Devo cover band, I’m pretty certain Chris cares about the quality of the ring modulator.

cbm
        Participant
        sean.e wrote:

cbm wrote:

If I played in a Devo cover band, I might be more concerned about the quality of the ring modulator

Busted!. I do love a good ring mod or frequency shifter.

Though I know he is not in a Devo cover band, I’m pretty certain Chris cares about the quality of the ring modulator.

tmoravan
        Participant
        cbm wrote:
        I understand that, as it stands, the H9000 doesn’t fit your needs. I understand that you’re trying to lobby for these features to be added ASAP. What you don’t seem to understand is that other people have other needs. If I was voting on what to add next, I would vote for the Sampler to come back before Custom Scales. 

I would think that any/all of the folks buying an H9000 at this stage of it’s lifecycle clearly understands they are signing up to be a beta tester, whether Eventide states that or not.  A 100 users will shake out the bugs/omissions faster than the in-house staff/testers and will do it with a wider range of connected gear and application needs.  Whether you can afford to be a beta tester or not is something you have to decide.  I do believe Eventide is going to be working hard to make the H9000 into the flagship processor it can be, but it is going to take time and iterations to get there.

If anyone needs a robust, feature-complete, bug free H9000, then now is not the time to purchase one.  Eventide can’t wait another year until those issues are all identified and resolved before shipping a single unit and there are plenty of potential users that will be happy to employ the existing features while shaking out any issues along the way.  At least with the 9000 architecture Eventide hasn’t painted themseleves into a corner and adding new features and functionality as time goes on should be easier with the 9000 compared to the previous platforms.

vanceg
        Participant

The H9K is an impressively powerful box.  It would surely be “overkill” for some people, and “not enough” for others.   I’d say that it makes an absolutely astounding string instrument processor.  

In comparison to the Eclipse, though, it’s surely a massive upgrade, The H9K is basically 16 eclipses… but the eclipse works with vastly limited (but still very cool) subset of the algorithms that the H9K does.  And each of the algorithms on the H9K can be 8 channels (as on the H8K). 

Depending on how you set your system up, you could use all 16 of the Algorithm slots in the H9K to process one instrument.  What you can’t do right now is route signal from one effects Chain to another.  So you could treat each effects Chain as it’s own effects rack, each able to run 4 x H8000 level algorithms.  You’d have to route signal into and out of those Chains.  You could do this by connecting the H9K to an effects routing pedal board and use the 8 analog I/O as 4 X stereo pairs (one for each chain) Or, you could connect the 4 chains together in series in using the Optial, Dante or AES connectons on the H9K (bascially route out of Chain 1 into Chian 2, out of 2 into 3 etc….). It would be digital, so the signal shouldn’t degrade.  

But overall you end up with a LOT of processing power. 

One thing you could do with that power is use it to enable complete instant patch change by simply running two parallel paths, and just swap between them using volume control.   You could do smooth crossfaces between two sets of two effects chains, each chain running 4 algorithms (remember the H8K can run two algorithms at the sime time, total).  

So, yeah, it’s could be overkill for many, but it might be just what some folks really always wanted.  

It’s good to remember that the H series has never really been a device designed specifically for guitar.  It’s really a studio tool that was adopted by guitarists due to that fact that it sounds astounding and unique.  It still does. That said, there are also some very high end devices aimed at (and capable of ) nothing but guitar processing. And it would make a lot of sense that they would have a feature set designed to complement the needs of live instrumentalists.  I would assume they would have more guitar-centric focuses like amp modeling, ‘classic’ distortion  modeling, and features like quiet and instant patch change of individual “effects” within a larger chain.  Some of that will be hard to do on the H series.  But the H9K is so damn powerful that you can get around some of those issues.. and it gives you massive flexability you wouldn’t have on any guitar focused device. 

Personally I’m using it to do individual string (hexaphonic) processing on a guitar with individual outputs for each string,  I’m sure that it’s the only device on the market that I can create a separate, independant effects chain for each string of my instrument.  THAT opens up some interesting possibilities.

I’m also going to be using it in a live sound environment, where the Chains as “Racks” concept makes a lot of sense:  I can run 32 channels between my console and  H9K via Dante, so I’ll set the H9K essentially multiple effects devices.  I’ll likely set up 16 channels as channel or bus inserts, and then still have 8 x stereo sends. 

Personally, I think the H9K is going to make a splendid instrument processor. But – I also suspect it’s overkill for some folks. 

AK74 wrote:

thoughts?

Alan

ThreeFingersOfLove

I tend to agree it’s overkill for guitar, especially since it’s capabile of multi-channel but I’m hoping like with the 8000/7600 there will be a stereo version released at some point in the future.

I had been thinking of getting an AxeFX II XL+ then I got wind of this so held off and now the AxeFX III has come out. So if here is to be a stereo version of the 9000 I would probably wait for that

AK74

Can i have 4 fx chains loaded up and switch between them as needed?

or is the idea that each fx chain would be used for a different instrument simultaneously? 

jackmazzotti
      Participant

I am hoping they will release a two channel 4 algorithim fx chain version in knob laden factor series form which includes all the algorithims in the H9000. The ten knobs at the push of a button control each of the 4 aIgorithims plus one page for macros. I would gladly pay $2500 for one! They would sell like hot cakes. All the Eventide algorithims in one stompbox with bluetooth emote control. Toggle switch for line or guitar level. Call it the H99.

AK74
        jackmazzotti wrote:

I am hoping they will release a two channel 4 algorithim fx chain version in knob laden factor series form which includes all the algorithims in the H9000. The ten knobs at the push of a button control each of the 4 aIgorithims plus one page for macros. I would gladly pay $2500 for one! They would sell like hot cakes. All the Eventide algorithims in one stompbox with bluetooth emote control. Toggle switch for line or guitar level. Call it the H99.

That would be cool 🙂 

just thinking about the H9000 though. assuming a live context, i could have a “session” that has 4 fx chains loaded and good to go. i could use any kind of line router i wanted to switch between the different fx chains leaving trails intact etc. or i might have just a couple of FX chains reserved for my guitar effects. route the singer through another chain, and some keyboards through another.

feels like the H9000 doesnt need to do “everything” but if paired with a good matrix router. some pretty powerful configurations become possible.

I’m enjoying the lively discussions… hardly a whisper about the flagship anywhere else.  I have both an Eclipse and H8000FW so have no need for upgrading, except for the jaw-dropping possibilities of this monster.

My “2-cents worth” is that the cost of the blank-face model might be a temptation to musicians who perform LIVE in at least stereo or wider cool… (thinking of Suzanne Ciani’s long held love for QUAD live performance with her 200e).

The deal-breaker for me would be NO INTEREST in allowing iOS-iPad control of simple controls…  loading presets or basic routing … for playing live in QUAD or more.

I’ll closely watch how this monster evolves and who it appeals to.  Curious how little mention you see on the internet of the H8000FW and I doubt the H9000 is discussed anywhere but on this FORUM.

cbm
        Participant
        Eastward_In_Eden wrote:
        Curious how little mention you see on the internet of the H8000FW and I doubt the H9000 is discussed anywhere but on this FORUM.

There is some discussion on The Gear Page forum, in The Rack Space section. A little on the H9000, but a fair amount on the H8000, Orville, Eclipse, etc.

Siem
      Participant

Is it possbile to import custom presets from the H8000 into the H9000?

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        Siem wrote:

Is it possbile to import custom presets from the H8000 into the H9000?

The H9000 will not import presets directly, but you could use Vsig to extract them as sigfiles, and then send them as sigfiles to the H9000. This would be on a one-by-one basis.

tmoravan
      Participant

My H9000 arrived this morning, I finished up my 8 channel analog snakes this afternoon and had an hour or so to just play around with it.

Summary is – it sounds glorious.  It’s so nice to have Eventide back in my rack.

The front panel is easy to use and spent the whole time pulling up effects, editing the algorithms, and creating some interesting chains of effects all without cracking the manual.  (to be fair, I have read it a couple times over the past week, but didn’t need to go to it while in use).

That Eventide sound is alive and well in this new box.

tmoravan wrote:

THANKS for sharing… brings back memories of my jaw hitting the ground while playing with the H8000 first time.. hours flew by ….

tmoravan
        Participant
        Eastward_In_Eden wrote:

tmoravan wrote:

THANKS for sharing… brings back memories of my jaw hitting the ground while playing with the H8000 first time.. hours flew by ….

I had to sell my H8000s and EVENET remote to fund the purchase so I can’t do any comparisons, but the overall sound seems to immediately evoke that big open effected wash of goodness Eventide has become known for.

The original intent was to do a more detailed runthrough of the unit, but even with a simple MKS-20 piano sound, I lost the whole time just playing around with stacking up different algorithms, tweaking values, and just playing and listening to the simple piano sound being transformed.

Coming from originally having an Instant Flanger and Instant Phaser though multiple H3000s though an Omnipressor and OG SP-2016 to a pair of H8000FWs, and now to the H9000, I can say it was worth the wait for it.  Looking forward to seeing where Eventide can take this new platform.

At some point in time I’ll actually go through it and customize some of the configuration options and be more thorough and systematic in my analysis of it, but for now it’s the most fun I’ve had with an effects unit in a long time.

Miklo
        tmoravan wrote:

My H9000 arrived this morning, I finished up my 8 channel analog snakes this afternoon and had an hour or so to just play around with it.

Summary is – it sounds glorious.  It’s so nice to have Eventide back in my rack.

The front panel is easy to use and spent the whole time pulling up effects, editing the algorithms, and creating some interesting chains of effects all without cracking the manual.  (to be fair, I have read it a couple times over the past week, but didn’t need to go to it while in use).

Is there any top 40 vocal algorithms? Would be cool to run a dry vocal to it and out comes that modern pop processed sound.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff
      amop wrote:

Hi amop. You keep sending these empty posts. Not sure of your intentions, but please stop.

amop
        Participant
        nickrose wrote:
        amop wrote:

Hi amop. You keep sending these empty posts. Not sure of your intentions, but please stop.

Apologies. I keep getting an error message when I post. Didn’t think they were posting at all.

amop
      Participant

I was trying to post (removed link…maybe that was the issue) that the sound designer Richard Devine posted a nice sample of his new H9000 processing a Synthesis Technologies E352 wavetable module. It’s really nice if you go to this Twitter feed. Made me finally pull the trigger finally and looking forward to replacing my 20-year old DSP4000.

tlongabaugh
        Eventide Staff

amop wrote:
        I was trying to post (removed link…maybe that was the issue) that the sound designer Richard Devine posted a nice sample of his new H9000 processing a Synthesis Technologies E352 wavetable module. It’s really nice if you go to this Twitter feed. Made me finally pull the trigger finally and looking forward to replacing my 20-year old DSP4000.

This the one?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkOVblaHoV2/?igshid=to472p13501v

ndoe22
      Participant

Hey I was looking over things and i was going to get the rack edition but since this unit will be my main interface for a bit I think the leds and the screen for better feedback will be needed.  I wanted to know if while hooked up to a daw and using the emote app can you use the front panel on the unit to monitor meters while also being on a different page on the emote software or does the unit follow the emote app?

ndoe22
      Participant

I am going to be using the H9000 as my main interface for a while.  I am operating in personal home studio so it will mostly be DAW work but i do jam dawless and i might use the H9000 for some moblie work, but almost like 80% in my studio.    I was going to go with the rack mount but i am thinking the version with the screen will be nice for meters and the led of course.   

My question is if im using the meters page on the unit it self and i have it hooked up with a daw and the emote app can i monitor the levels on the unit itself while on a different page on the emote app or does the unit follow the app??

Dont have my unit yet so i want to ask

jbamberg
        Eventide Staff
        ndoe22 wrote:

My question is if im using the meters page on the unit it self and i have it hooked up with a daw and the emote app can i monitor the levels on the unit itself while on a different page on the emote app or does the unit follow the app??

The front panel of the unit does not follow the app, so if you were to leave it on meters mode while controlling it remotely it would stay that way.  We did have a request to make it work the other way (i.e. for the unit to mirror what the user is doing in the app), but I think if we were to do that, we would make it something the user would opt into.

ArguZ
      Participant

That is actually a great idea…both…to have it be an option.

I also plan to replace audio interface with the H9000, run all my hardware synths into it and wouldfind metering perfect while using emote in the DAW or a midi controller to set parameters.

If its possible to switch between meters and parameters with one short button press i think people would appreciate it very much.

ndoe22
      Participant

I am trying to get a better understanding of the I/O of the H9000.  

First to clarify I’d like to run the H9000 with the 8/8 analog I/O , 16/16 usb and the 8/8 I/O Thru ADAT.  I believe i can use and process all these channels simutaniously  right??

Now i also know there are a max of 4 FX chains and you can use up to 4 algorithms in each chain.  What i’d like to know is there a limit to how many inputs or outputs you can assign to the chains , physical and software I/O?  

If anyone has a detail description

Looking for info before i order mine

gkellum
        Participant
        ndoe22 wrote:

First to clarify I'd like to run the H9000 with the 8/8 analog I/O , 16/16 usb and the 8/8 I/O Thru ADAT.  I believe i can use and process all these channels simutaniously  right??

Yes, you can use those audio I/O simultaneously.

ndoe22 wrote:

Now i also know there are a max of 4 FX chains and you can use up to 4 algorithms in each chain.  What i'd like to know is there a limit to how many inputs or outputs you can assign to the chains , physical and software I/O?  

Currently, you can assign a maximum of 8 inputs to an FX Chain.  You can mutliplex the outputs to up to 32 channels.

We're currently working on increasing the maximum inputs to an FX Chain to 32 channels. That feature should be in the next major release.

gkellum
      Participant

This forum thread, "Eventide H9000", has gotten to be quite long. Every time someone posts a further comment on it everyone who has every posted to the thread is notified, which we're afraid might annoy some people.  So, we're locking this thread to further comments.  Please create new threads with any H9000 related questions you might have.

Viewing 99 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Eventide H9000’ is closed to new replies.