- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Rackmount A Search for the way to restore the original preset software to “bricked” units of the limited edition legendary DSP 4500 Reply To: A Search for the way to restore the original preset software to “bricked” units of the limited edition legendary DSP 4500

italoop
Participant

Whatever you do, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT run the self-tests described in Technical Note #47. (These tests are initiated by holding down the 5 key during startup). As the note says, many of these WILL ERASE FACTORY PRESETS and will leave you with a useless harmonizer for which there seems to be no “restore factory presets” software/algorithm/what-have-you. I learned this the hard way. What insanity prompted Eventide to code these “self-tests”– more like ‘self-destructs’ — in the first place perplexes me, unless I’ve totally misunderstood this… I mean, how did does one put preset code on the flash chips in the first place? There’s gotta be someone out there who knows the answer. I just wish I could find him or her.

Those tests are actually necessary. The ones erasing presets DO warn the user… so one has to be clever enough to avoid doing what’s not to be done.

The chips were likely flashed via COM port after being installed. The 4500 was a very short and limited production. things on flash really started out with the

later generation.